18th Century 28 Foot Longboat

Whilst on holiday I thought I'd move completely out of my comfort zone. I've always wanted to build an open launch showing the internal details. Various attempts have come to nought.

Looking for something easily transportable this caught my eye

P1090210 (Copy)

Kit sprues?

P1090214 (Copy)

Tis all made from Limewood which means it has minimal straight grain though a trifle soft

Firsts up a simple jig to keep it all straight until frames/longitudinals  are in place.

P1090211 (Copy)

Commence fitting the frames

The idea is the frames are planked and the centre is removed, time will tell . . .

P1090212 (Copy)

Frames in place. Coffee stirrer used to brace frames. The transom look a bit precarious so I'm leaving that until I have the sheer planks in place

P1090229 (Copy)

First sheer plank in place

P1090307 (Copy)

Thanks for looking in, I hope you enjoy something a bit different

Kev

• Like 13

I  reckon left field is good, who wants to build plastic on a plastic modellers site lol

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

How have you done that then? :shrug:

If you look at pic 4 above the frames are only glued to the keel assembly. All the frames have to be sanded so that he planks/strakes land true. By sticking the stirrers on the top the frames brace each other (pic 5)

Display ideas at the moment are run ashore on a nice tropical beach (might have to go and research that).

Kev

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Their are some who would say 'cricket'. :shrug:

🤣    That darn @Martian Hale has a lot to answer for . . . .

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Great subject. Will be watching and learning.

Can't imagine what you'll be learning Steve. You'd either whittle one out of a solid piece of wood or find some nice young lady to sell you one 😉

6 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

Rats!  No guns or torpedoes ... again!

Sorry to laid back here . . . .

I've solved the dilemma with the Gin/Speckled Hen

Binned the tonic. Now drinking Gin with Speckled Hen as a mixer plus of course ice and lemon.

The only problem, vision a little blurred but I'm sure it will wear off.

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Progress

The process described in this kit is edge bending. Simply put wet/soak plank  bend/twist whatever is required for shape and apply the hairdryer.

P1090312 (Copy)

Second sheer plank in so we should be balanced now and little likelihood of imparting a twist

P1090313 (Copy)

Most of the clamping I've done with elastic bands

P1090315 (Copy)

Transom inserted

P1090342 (Copy)

This pic clearly shows the laser cut line on the false bulkhead. I must say  this laser cutting is spot on. A few passes with a file in the bulkhead / keel notches and they slotted firmly together. Note  the charred wood needs to be cleaned off to allow for good adhesion. I'm using PVA and Ca on this build

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 10

Hello Kev, I have got the Artesania Latina Titanic's Lifeboat part-started, but it has stalled (can a rowboat stall?), and with luck you will be able to show me what needs to be done! I came to grief when it came to the planking...

Look forward to picking up a few hints and tips during this!

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

Planking continues . . . .

Two by garboard strakes plus two by sheerline strakes fitted either side

P1090427 (Copy)

P1090426 (Copy)

P1090428 (Copy)

This will give you some idea of the amount of twist being dialled in to get strakes to follow hull lines

P1090430 (Copy)

P1090431 (Copy)

Thanks for stopping by and all the support

Kev

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

paint the finished boat or leave it natural wood?

Natural wood would be nice but I seriously doubt the finish will be good enough. Although I'm trying for the best finish it's a hobby and supposed to be fun. When I'm on my third or forth boat we'll be in with a possible.

Current situation learning a lot and enjoying.

Recommended practise is to form curves, twists etc off the boat, try and repeat, try and repeat . . . . . can get frustrating. Today I tried soaking a strake and securing it in position on the hull in the correct place and leaving it to dry, seemed to work well More time consuming but less fraught. We shall see

Kev

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Keith by the time I've finished bending/twisting etc it doesn't take a lot to hold them in place, I think I used a pin on the first sheer strake. Whilst I've been fighting the wood around the bow I've pinned it with CA, the rest is PVA. Very much a learning curve . . . 

Kev

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Martian but I think it will only pass muster with a blind man, do we have any on BM?

We'll see when I've got all the planks on, currently working on the last pair each side. I may have to leave the sanding until I get home. I'm thinking sawdust mixed with varnish as a filler/blender unless anyone can see any problems with that

Kev

• Like 3