This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Where are they going to berth Bristol when Sultan closes and moves to Collingwood?  I can't see them getting it far up Portchester Creek!  Oh, hang on: we don't actually need to train marine engineers on real ships any more ..............

And as for basing the Navy's largest ships in the Naval Base with the narrowest and shallowest entrance.....................

HMS Bristol is an accommodation and training ship attached to HMS Excellent , recently refitted for the role so she will be fine. As to HMS Sultan, this is a conversation I had when I visited there a year or two ago. The officer I spoke to was despairing.

Martian 👽

1 hour ago, iang said:

Is Bristol the last RN Falklands ship?

Certainly in this country. Hermes aka Viraat is still extant in India and there may be some Amazons still in service with the Pakistan Navy.

Martian 👽

Note that she is docked on her port side to have her Weaponry fitted, she will be turned around soon to the more familiar starboard side so they can fit the rest of the weapons and bring the access back via the deck edge lifts and the hanger space

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 01:19, Geoff_B said:

Note that she is docked on her port side to have her Weaponry fitted, she will be turned around soon to the more familiar starboard side so they can fit the rest of the weapons and bring the access back via the deck edge lifts and the hanger space

Thanks for that, the guide on the boat trip mentioned that she was due to be spun round in a few days but did not elaborate as to what was going on.

Enlightened of Mars 👽

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 19:33, Das Abteilung said:

Where are they going to berth Bristol when Sultan closes and moves to Collingwood?  I can't see them getting it far up Portchester Creek!  Oh, hang on: we don't actually need to train marine engineers on real ships any more ..............

And as for basing the Navy's largest ships in the Naval Base with the narrowest and shallowest entrance.....................

Will they never learn.  They did this exercise in 2002 when they were looking to close one of SULTAN, COLLINGWOOD or DRYAD and they proved then that you couldn't fit all of SULTAN's training requirements into COLLINGWOOD.  Fundamentally there are serious limitations as to where on the COLLINGWOOD estate you can build because the land on which it sits is quite marshy.  They proved that when they built the swimming pool, filled it with water and the whole building started to sink.

Logically back then, the one to close was COLLINGWOOD as DRYAD had the capacity to take about 70% of the training load with the balance going to SULTAN, but ultimately the people at the top responsible for taking the decision were WEs.

Actually putting QE into Portsmouth was the sensible choice.  She would never get around the turn into the Hamoaze to go into Devonport.  The old ARK and EAGLE could only just make it.

With the amount of dredging of the Pompey entrance and channel they could have straightened out the Hamoaze!  And QE is allegedly far more manouverable.  But I must admit to being surprised that she hasn't got azipods as main propulsion like most modern large liners.  Berthing would be far easier, azipod tugs notwithstanding.

IIRC, not everything from Sultan is going to Collingwood.  There's a lot of functional centralisation of "centres of excellence" going on under the Defence Estate Optimisation Programme, including cross-service.  Sadly, I suspect that Bristol is perhaps coming to the end of her days.  Perhaps one of the T23s would be a more appropriate instructional piece now.  I remain surprised that she kept her pennant number.  I recall that when Ajax went to Raleigh years ago she became just a Seamanship Training Barge.  I was doing ship commercial disposals in those days, including selling Tiger.

Working in the dockyard at the moment so see her most days.

Is she painted a different colour to the other ships.  Looks much more of a green hue than the blue tinge of the other ships.

Or maybe it a reflection from the sea on the outward sloping hull.

But definitely looks green when I see her in real life.

Cheers,

Nigel