Martian

Yesterday marked another of your Earth years of me being dragged kicking and screaming into the world and when Mrs Martian asked me what I wanted to do, without hesitation the reply was go and see HMS Queen Elizabeth at Portsmouth. There was a slight hiccup when we were informed by the Flyco that "No, we couldn't land my Haunebu on board as the ship was not currently cleared for the type". So we had to make do with a harbour tour instead. There has been much in the media about how big the ship is but one really does have to see her close up before the reality of it does strike home. Especially when one sees how wide she is. I have included some of the many pictures I took (there was steam coming out of the camera). Some show good detail of the ship and some are more artistic but I hope that they all convey what an incredible piece of kit she is. All this was followed by beer and curry with some friends. Days don't get much better than this!

Thanks for looking.

Slightly Hungover of Mars 👽

Edit: For some reason some of the pictures aren't showing at the moment but if you click on the number that is, it takes you to the picture.

001.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

037.jpg

033.jpg

040.jpg

042.jpg

045.jpg

047.jpg

063.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

I reckon it's in the order of sixty years since I was last called that ………………..

Brought back fond memories :devil:

Kev

It seemed the most appropriate response! I'm too tired today but I may just do some more on the KD this weekend. That's is if I can find some room on the bench, the Albatross is hogging most of that at the moment, and Mrs Martian will lift her loft ban so as I can get at the box with all the parts in.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, grahamwalker said:

that would be easy to scratch build

We all look forward to seeing the results of your efforts in the WIP section! I'm having enough trouble with a certain 20th Century carrier, let alone a 21st Century one.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Please explain...

Stuart

I refer to a certain incident earlier this year when I slipped and managed to find just about the only part of the loft that isn't boarded over and ended up with my leg through the bedroom ceiling, right up to the groin. This was shortly after we had had all the main rooms in the house re-decorated. Hence the ban. The hull and flight deck are in my modelling room and the parts box for the project is in the loft, coincidentally in the vicinity of my little faux pas, so you will now begin to appreciate my problem. What makes me think I am about to get a load of laugh reactions to this post?

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

You won't catch me laughing either, the involuntary descent of my right leg through the ceiling a few years ago still brings tears to my eyes - even though it stopped at my knee. 

There's no doubt the biggest hurt is to the wallet - when the plasterer looks at it and sucks in air through his teeth, shakes his head and says, lugubriously, "that'll need a lot of work to fix "

Returning to your photos Martian, excellent ones.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Won't catch me laughing, perhaps a small snigger. 

I have been through the ceiling astride a joist. As you it was not a quiet episode. My two girls in the room slept right through. ☺

I seem to recall you having a good titter at the time it happened. Now the reports of you being spotted walking in a very strange manner begin to make sense.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Whofan said:

You won't catch me laughing either, the involuntary descent of my right leg through the ceiling a few years ago still brings tears to my eyes - even though it stopped at my knee. 

There's no doubt the biggest hurt is to the wallet - when the plasterer looks at it and sucks in air through his teeth, shakes his head and says, lugubriously, "that'll need a lot of work to fix "

Returning to your photos Martian, excellent ones.

It was £110 out of my Telford fund, at least the plasterer had the decency/good sense not to laugh in my presence.

17 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Great photos there Martian thanks for sharing sound like you had a most enjoyable day and afterparty many happy returns for the day  🎂 🛸

beefy

Thanks Beefy, it was the best birthday in a long time, even the weather had the decency to behave itself.

13 hours ago, grahamwalker said:

now that sounds funny, painful and expensive at the same time lads

Well, you got two out of the three right. It was good job us Martians have a spare set of danglies under our left armpits.

Martian 👽

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This was shortly after we had had all the main rooms in the house re-decorated.

Oh dear, but I can now understand the reluctance of Mrs Martian to allow any further adventures aloft!

Nice pics of R08. I so wanted to be down there myself but couldn't make it that day.

Terry

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

It was £110 out of my Telford fund, at least the plasterer had the decency/good sense not to laugh in my presence.

That's still an ouch moment. I don't think ours cost much more than that, it was a few years ago now, but it still hurt.

Much like my knee did.

• Like 1

I was looking through the pictures of QE I took last week and remembered that I took a few of HMS Bristol at the same time. Not enough to justify a new thread but I thought I would add them here. I am not at all sure why but I find Bristol a strangely fascinating ship, even in her non seagoing role. 

Martian 👽

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

054.jpg

• Like 7

On 12/18/2018 at 6:44 PM, Martian Hale said:

I am not at all sure why but I find Bristol a strangely fascinating ship,

Likewise Martian, although preferred to see her back in the days she was a fully operational ship. Something about her lines that is rather pleasing. I'd love to have a 1/350 model of this one, but realise that is entirely unlikely to occur!

Terry

• Like 1

Interesting!

When we were on the boat trip Mrs Martian took some pictures of QE as an insurance against my notoriously bad photography. She has offered to share them if anyone is interested?

Martian (Off to visit the MT Miniatures website) 👽

• Like 2

A late Christmas present for you all from Mrs Martian. I said she was way better with a camera than me and here is the evidence. She decided that it was a good plan to take some pictures on her phone, lest my efforts on the day turned out pants (this has happened before). My pictures were OK but as you can see, Gill's were miles better and some from different angles as well as showing more detail. So, after a bit of cropping and editing,here are the fruits of her labours.

Martian 👽

IMG-20181213-131016-BURST001-COVER.jpg

IMG-20181213-131032.jpg

IMG-20181213-131052.jpg

IMG-20181213-131059.jpg

IMG-20181213-131114.jpg

IMG-20181213-131133-BURST001-COVER.jpg

IMG-20181213-131148.jpg

IMG-20181213-131154.jpg

IMG-20181213-131219.jpg

IMG-20181213-131231.jpg

IMG-20181213-131300.jpg

IMG-20181213-131411.jpg

IMG-20181213-131315.jpg

• Like 10

Cracking extra pictures Martian. Mrs Martian has indeed given us all an extra Christmas present. Some excellent shots there of the deck edge elevators and the Starboard side detail in general. When taken in conjunction with those you took, a pretty comprehensive set I would say.

I wonder who will be first with a model kit for us .....................🤔

Terry