Valom 1/48 Islander

dcrfan

I received my order direct from Ukraine in just over a week, not bad for the other side of the world.  On intial look the parts are well detailed and moulded, the only unusual thing is total lack of assembly alignment aids.

IMG_2949.jpg

I'm building the kit as a Rhodesian Air Force aircraft so have removed the cross body passenger seat mounts and filled in the resulting holes.  I've also fitted the shorter wing tips. 

IMG_2951.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, hacker said:

l plan to do a Philippine air force plane but have to decide which of the three boxings will suit my purpose

Hacker

The Israeli box has two versions of engine cowling and alternative wingtips which I suspect all boxes will have as the instructions include all options.  The colour scheme is on a separate sheet so that and decals probably all thats different.

11 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I'll watch too as I have the new Valom kit.

Is that a "significant" amount of filler on the wing/ engine join or are you just being cautious?

Jeff

Cautious.  There is a small hole on each side of the engine cowling/wing junction and very slight misalignment on top of both engines. I was able to significantly improve cowling/wing fit by chamfering inside edge of cowlings. 

• 4 weeks later...

Lack of alignment aids is very common with smaller manufacturers. Just glue some pieces of plastic card on one side of the fuselage for a crude alignment device.

• 5 months later...

Very interesting. I was unaware this was in 1:48. Back in the early '80s the last logging company I worked for had two of these to fly crews into camps on the west coast of British Columbia. Somewhere I have a photo of one taking off from a gravel strip in Ramsay Arm

0011-jpg.186830

Edited by fubar57
Found photo
  • Like 2