PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH. FINISHED?PHOTO HEAVY p22

Badder

2 hours ago, Badder said:

In this case though, I won't be painting the wheels for a while yet

Flippin stix has painted his already, I like the sound of the wheel constuction method, duly taken on board, 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Flippin stix has painted his already, I like the sound of the wheel constuction method, duly taken on board, 

He asked for some advice. I told him he should leave all the rest of the painting until and hour before the deadline.

22 minutes ago, BIG X said:

WOO-HOO Page 2

Yeah, I waffle a lot!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 3

'Unclean' wheel inners and outers with their nylon bushes.

QsaDYfR.jpg

I then glued the inners and outers together, lining up the opposing gate marks.  I haven't added the central 'hubs' yet, I then made the drive sprockets and idlers. All of these wheels are being stored on their axles for now.

And I couldn't resist dry fitting the glacis and rear decking.

iBweDG9.jpg

jYGfVhA.jpg

I will have to dry fit the return rollers as well, because what I'm actually doing, is trying to figure out if I can construct the superstructure without fixing the running boards/fenders in place. If they have to be fixed in place, then I won't be able to fit replacement tracks at a later stage - or at least, not very easily.

Hopefully, the running boards/fenders can be left off.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

I'm going to dry-fit the running boards/fenders, because I can't tell from what I've got so far, or from the instruction sheet, if I can leave them off or not.

And then I'm going to crack on and fit some parts to the glacis.

TFL

Badder

13 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Still looks to going together well. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

I never had any fit issues with the first Nashorn either - until I got to the gun. There are 4 very delicate and thin struts attached to the gun mount that brace the gun mantlet (shield)

If memory serves me right, the struts are either slightly too long, or there's an issue with the fixing points at one or both ends. I know that my uppermost struts bowed under the compression, and I think one snapped. I'm pretty sure a lower strut snapped as well, but that was very low down and hidden entirely from view, so I left it off. Whatever, I had to do a lot of messing about to get the mantlet to align correctly with the gun, and sit true within the frontal superstructure.

Having said that, I am really looking forward to building the gun and trying out some extensive chipping at the fiddly end.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Hmmm.......

CUa7Pny.jpg

Then fenders - and what would be the 'running boards' if they weren't to be buried under the fighting compartment superstructure - could be fitted out of sequence, but not by much out of sequence, and not easily anyway. They are located by 3 lugs which fi into slots in the tub; one above the front set of road wheels, one above the rear set, and one nearer the middle. There's also a pin in the upper superstructure that locates into a hole in the fenders. A bit of bending and wiggling would be required to postion the fenders in place then, and ultimately, the fighting compartment's side panels cannot be fixed in place until after the fenders are.

So, I'm not going to follow the instruction manual. Instead, I am going make sub-assemblies of the side panels and other bits and bobs and delay fixing these together until I succeed/fail to get hold of the tracks I'm after. And of course, I can always assemble and paint the gun, should I run out of work to do!

I have started work on the glacis (or upper hull as the manual states) and MADE MY FIRST BREAKAGE!

I should have known better, because I recall now how I broke exactly the same stupid part last time, trying to do exactly the same thing to it!

The stupid part in question is part e2 in the diagram below:

w76mXWZ.jpg

A 'rain run-off barrier' I'll call it. Or 'a pain in the !!£XX' if I'm to be more accurate.

Said part is not only thin and weak, but is attached to the sprue by 'internal gates' that is: the gates are on the inside of the curve. Well, last time, I took a round file to the remnants of the gates and the thing literally fell apart in my hand. It did the same this time as well! So I was left with two curves, each still blighted with a gate stump.

It was only then that I remembered the breakage the first time round, which is a pity, because back then I did, in hindsight work out how to remove the gate stumps more easily and safely, should I ever do them again!

Too late to prevent the breakage this time around, but still of use to prevent even more breakage - I used the following method with each broken part:

kKzR36r.jpg

BURY THE THING IN STIFF CLAY AND FILE AWAY AT THE GATE STUMPS WITH A ROUND DIAMOND-DUST FILE.

Should anyone else have a similarly stupid, fragile and 'Dragonesquely unnecessary part', they might find this method handy.

Anyway, I've now got to fit it, aware that the breakage will have released tension within the plastic, causing a slight straighening of the curve. tut.

TFL

Badder

• Like 4

It looks a grand fit so far badder, but then it is tamiya, I hope you can fit the fenders after cause I'm looking forward to seeing the fruil?  tracks made up before I pull the trigger on some for mine, nice method of tarting up the broken part

• Like 1

Badder! I found you!  From what I can see you are off to a roaring good start.   You solution for the "rain gutter " [ in German " regen Gosse" ] part, is pure ingenious-ness. 👍👍👍  This Nashorn will be a thing of beauty in short order I'm sure.

Oh bye the bye, the "Nashorn" was designed by a little known German engineering student, Otto von großer Nase. He  lost all his money (in a way best not revealed), and was forced to sell his completed Nashorn plans to armaments maker   Alkett, Deutsche Eisenwerke.  This firm took the plans as their own. They even took the  name that  poor Otto used. The Alkett  people did not understand the original meaning of the Nashorn name, they assumed it to refer to a Rhino.   But, in truth Otto had a cousin in the United States that had a job at an American automobile plant.   Otto's great love and respect for his cousin caused him to name his AFV after the only part of an American car his cousin could send him as a memento. Yes it was a Nash Horn.   Now you know how an AFV got its name.

Any of the above story drivel is to be regarded as completely without any truth what so ever.

nap time now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Hewy said:

It looks a grand fit so far badder, but then it is tamiya, I hope you can fit the fenders after cause I'm looking forward to seeing the fruil?  tracks made up before I pull the trigger on some for mine, nice method of tarting up the broken part

Yep, all of the fits are spot on and all the rest will be too - except for the upcoming gun mantlet struts I mentioned earlier.

Oh, and there a few TINY hook things dotted around the glacis mostly - presumably they are there to hold down camo nets, because I can't think what else they might be for. They were a pain to seat correctly as they are so tiny and sit in tiny  slots,  Tweezers are an absolute must, but even then it's not easy, and even harder because of my nerve damage.

As for the tracks, I have my eye on several different types/makes. I'm liking the look of the wider winter tracks or Ostketten and will go for those if I can. The problem is that I believe the Nashorn has a slightly longer wheelbase than the standard PzIV, so I have to find tracks specific to this vehicle, or buy extra track links!

Whatever, I won't be buying any until after Christmas, so I'm afraid you'll have to wait and see!

Rearguards

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Prop Duster said:

Badder! I found you!  From what I can see you are off to a roaring good start.   You solution for the "rain gutter " [ in German " regen Gosse" ] part, is pure ingenious-ness. 👍👍👍  This Nashorn will be a thing of beauty in short order I'm sure.

Oh bye the bye, the "Nashorn" was designed by a little known German engineering student, Otto von großer Nase. He  lost all his money (in a way best not revealed), and was forced to sell his completed Nashorn plans to armaments maker   Alkett, Deutsche Eisenwerke.  This firm took the plans as their own. They even took the  name that  poor Otto used. The Alkett  people did not understand the original meaning of the Nashorn name, they assumed it to refer to a Rhino.   But, in truth Otto had a cousin in the United States that had a job at an American automobile plant.   Otto's great love and respect for his cousin caused him to name his AFV after the only part of an American car his cousin could send him as a memento. Yes it was a Nash Horn.   Now you know how an AFV got its name.

Any of the above story drivel is to be regarded as completely without any truth what so ever.

nap time now.

Hmmmm... I knew something was amiss straight away, with the Otto von Grosser Nase!

Ich habe nicht schon lang Deutsche gesprochen - 35 jahren, aber es ist nun auch wieder nicht!

Hope you are having a good sleep and that the nurse tied

Rearguards,

Badder

Yes my purchase will be post Christmas too, (if I make a pigs ear of it money saved! 😜) I was thinking of using the link tracks that are included for mine, but I don't fancy cleaning up 3 sprue location attachments on each link ( the sherman calliope  miniart ones have stopped me building armour for the best part of the year

I'm not even going to attempt this

CmZa0UX.jpg

Cheers badder, good luck on the rest of the build

• Sad 2

57 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I'm not even going to attempt this

CmZa0UX.jpg

Cheers badder, good luck on the rest of the build

But that Sherman Calliope was fantastic and IMHO deserved the trophy. Okay, I've never 'built' tracks before, and I can imagine how absolutely mind-numbingly boring and fiddly it all is, but they look sooooooo much better than rubber bands I think they are worth it.

Remember, I spent weeks gluing well over a thousand ivy leaves to one of my buildings, and weeks making a big tree using hundreds of metres of fishing line, so if anyone can handle boring, it's me! The thing that might stump me is 'the fiddly'.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hardly any progress this afternoon as I've been on the phone to the DVLA for the millionth time. Good news on that front though - they are renewing my driving licence. It's only taken them 6 months! When you get diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, they don't tell you the worst news - that you have to undergo a licence renewel every 3 yrs and put up with the incompetence, ineptitude and lackadaisical attitude of the DVLA!

Anyhooooooo.... I got that stupid broken E2 (Regen Gosse) part fitted. It was a struggle and involved lots of liquid poly, a fair bit of forcing the two halves back into shape, a large amount of very gentle filing and scraping and not so gentle swearing.

It's not perfect, but I figure it would have been knocked, dented and chipped a fair bit in real life.

With that done, I'm going to crack on. I will be doing this Nashorn 'hatches open' - and hopefully with figures - so I will skip adding the hatches for now.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

The end result of that Ivy, speaks for its self badder, but I will as well, diorama master class!, 

And as for the calliope, me and you both know there ain't no beating stix at this gluing, painting, and dio lark👏, but I still love taking part 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hewy said:

And as for the calliope, me and you both know there ain't no beating stix at this gluing, painting, and dio lark👏, but I still love taking part 

Thank you but it wasn't me that won - it was AndyRM101 and his M31 TRV. And I have to say I thought your Calliope should have got the prize!

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

W

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Thank you but it wasn't me that won - it was AndyRM101 and his M31 TRV. And I have to say I thought your Calliope should have got the prize!

Kind regards,

Stix 

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Stop it  your making me blush😚and you pair," stix" and "badder"were both in front of front of me , andys was quality though, fair do's 👍

Well, you guys, there was quite a big drop in votes from 2nd place to 3rd place! I think I only got 3rd because of the scratch armour.  The Calliope was maybe missed by quite a few voters cos it was on the 2nd page?

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Badder said:

The Calliope was maybe missed by quite a few voters cos it was on the 2nd page

Twas a good gb I remember, 😂😛, Anyhoo it's collecting dust on the shelf as we speak, and as is my new tradition of  comparing my latest gb effort with something similar from the back catalogue , I shall be dusting it off at the conclusion for a photo bomb, thanks  badder, you flatterer

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Twas a good gb I remember, 😂😛, Anyhoo it's collecting dust on the shelf as we speak, and as is my new tradition of  comparing my latest gb effort with something similar from the back catalogue , I shall be dusting it off at the conclusion for a photo bomb, thanks  badder, you flatterer

Indeed it was. And my Sherman gathers dust and strands of cobweb laid out by those horrible very skinny spiders with the enormously long legs. I have to give it a blast with the airbrush now and then. The diorma isn't going to be ready for it until the end of next year I reckon!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Badder said:

And my Sherman gathers dust and strands of cobweb laid out by those horrible very skinny spiders

Reminds me of a scene from war of the worlds, maybe just maybe, a diorama idea? 😛

• Haha 1