PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH. FINISHED?PHOTO HEAVY p22

Badder

6 hours ago, Badder said:

For the time being I've left a 'gate' in place in its gun slot because the mantlet could snap in half at the base otherwise.

Sensible move B, somebody not very far from me has exactly the problem you are avoiding   :whistle:

6 hours ago, Badder said:

BTW the Cheesy Wotsit will get a coat of whitewash as well.:thumbsup:

I doubt that will improve it's flavour - unless you use a traditional medium, like (say) sodium chloride and dilute acetic acid.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Sensible move B, somebody not very far from me has exactly the problem you are avoiding   :whistle:

Ah, yes, the famous 'guy next door's brother's wife's second uncle'. Cough.

I learned my lesson and more importantly REMEMBERED it from my previous Nashorn build.

If the Hummel is anything like the Nassy,  you   he may be lucky and find that the snapped piece fits behind a small lip at the front of the gun emplacement?

Rearguards,

Badder

ps. Sad news on the Wotsit front.... it dissolved when I applied the whitewash.  Next time I will give one a coat of gloss varnish first.

• Like 1

The gun in its cradle and the gun mount beside it.

26RySmJ.jpg

The gun has some fiddly construction and assembly, with a few problem pieces, but I managed to get to an advanced stage without breaking anything.

Knowing that I'm going to have some issues with the fitting of the gun mantlet and its relationship to the frontal armour plate, I thought I'd leave off the fiddly fragile bits and only fit them after inordinate amounts of test-fitting. So, I will paint. camo and whitewash the gun as it is in the photo below, before I progress.

XLLuvva.jpg

And here's the gun in it's proper position @FrancisGL

r1ijWqQ.jpg

Oh, and I found a good use for a few of the spare Winterketten:

9KKDI1z.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

Hi Badder. Hope you and yours are well and that you had a good weekend. Looks like you have made excellent progress yet again. The whitewash is progressing beautifully. Good to see the gun going together. And the spare track links look good on the front. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Hope you and yours are well and that you had a good weekend. Looks like you have made excellent progress yet again. The whitewash is progressing beautifully. Good to see the gun going together. And the spare track links look good on the front. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

I am suffering from a lack of sleep due to a particularly painful relapse in my CIDP over the weekend. Imagine the pain of having all of your skin peeled from your feet and hands, while 

sharks bite on your toe and finger bones, and that'll give you some idea. Apart from that, I am spiffing thanks!

There may be some progress today IF I can stay awake.!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Sad 3

38 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Hope your feeling better Badder, she’s looking the business with her firepower.

34 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

I hope you feel better soon Badder, and you can quickly get back to your Rhino - though it sounds as if some sleep first might help.

Thanks chaps,

I fell asleep about 5 seconds after my last post and woke up 3hrs later. It did me some good, but I will try to get a full 7hrs tonight. (Ha! Right!)

My condition (Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy) is incurable, but the very worst of the pains (sudden severe stabbing attacks, and perpetual burning, skin-peeling-shark-biting sensations) are usually alleviated with Gabapentin. I do have random relapses though, 3 or 4 times a year, when the pain increases beyond the capabilities of the pills and doubling, or trebling the dose doesn't do a lot except numb the rest of my body! Thankfully, the relapses don't usually last for more than a week and I return to my default 'near-perpetual stinging and burning sensations'. Whilst these are not in the slightest bit pleasant, I have gotten used to them and I can 'accept' them as the norm.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm 'crying on someone's shoulder' or seeking sympathy, or attention, but really, I'm not. My CIDP is a very rare condition (with only 50 or so cases diagnosed per year in the UK) and I've never met anyone else with it. However, there are UNDIAGNOSED sufferers out there who may be presenting early symptoms, and misdiagnosed sufferers out there (Most often they are misdiagnosed as having nerve pain due to sciatica, trapped nerves, or as a consequence of diabetes) and if my talking about the symptoms raises some alarms and encourages an early-stage sufferer to seek medical help, or a misdiagnosed sufferer to seek a second opinion, then that's a good thing.

BTW, I've only mentioned the painful symptoms, not the actual nerve damage and its impact on muscle control of the arms, legs, hands and feet, or an inability to sense hot or cold until it's too late!

Anyway......

I am feeling a bit better than I have been.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Definitely not crying on anyone’s shoulder Badder, 50 per year just putting the figure into prospective. That just less than a full coach, any highlighting can only be a good thing.

Antelope Brown, Sepia, and Burnt Umber, acrylic ink washes being applied:

XLZyIbk.jpg

xf0IxKP.jpg

0nx6Ejh.jpg

More washes to follow.

BTW, the gun is fully animated. The gun barrel is currently in its forward position (for loading) and can be elevated for long range, or over-the-hill firing. I will be keeping the barrel at a more level elevation. For the moment though, the gun barrel and its cradle can be removed from the mount to enable detail painting.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

What a piece of artillery! No wonder I was able to cross any vehicle ... even Stalins? ...:hmmm:

Cheers Badder 👍

Hi Francis,

Yes, the 88mm Pak43/1 gun was a fantastic weapon. A quick search  reveals that one Nashorn knocked out a IS2 (Stalin2) at 4000m, whilst another Nashorn was responsible for knocking out a Pershing - which was the only Pershing in Europe at the time.  I don't know where the Stalin2 was hit, or at what range, but here's the Pershing, knocked out by a Nashorn near the village of Niehl,  north of Cologne  March 6th 1945.

IosE9d6.jpg

Nashorn Ace Albert Ernst, the "Tiger of Vitebsk" knocked out 19 Soviet tanks during the Battle of Vitebsk. His gunner Kramer destroyed a Russian JS-2 at 4800m. Incredibly  he also shot down a Soviet ground attack aircraft with his main gun.

Reaguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Badder said:

Incredibly  he also shot down a Soviet ground attack aircraft with his main gun.

Am I right in thinking it's the same gun as the 88mm flak? I wonder if they carried any flak shells. 

I just finished reading Beevor's history of the second world war, and his books on Stalingrad and the battle of Berlin. I'm sure there's some references in there to tanks shooting at aircraft, and even warships firing their main armament at planes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Churchill said:

Am I right in thinking it's the same gun as the 88mm flak? I wonder if they carried any flak shells. 

Hi Mr Churchill, Sir,

The 'infamous' Pak 36/37 Flak itself was used as an Anti-Tank weapon, as we all know, but the 88's mounted on German AFVs were not the same. They were either adaptations of the original Flak,  or new designs, based on it, The Nashorn boasted a long barrelled Pak43/1 - an adaptation of the Flak, to be used in an AT role;  the Tiger I was given a KwK 36, which, although based on the 36/37, was specifically designed for the new Tiger I,  while the later Tiger II received a newly designed, longer barrelled,, more powerful 88 designated the KwK 43. The KT, coincidentally, used the same longer ammo as the Nashorn  and it's Tamiya's  King Tiger 88mm brass rounds that inhabit my Nashorn's ammo racks. '(The Tiger I used the shorter rounds) 

With regards to shooting down aircraft, none of the tanks/SPGs/Tank Destroyers carried AA shells. .Constraints within the turrets/fighting compartments prevented high elevations of the gun. It fair to assume that the kills were made when targeting low-flying aircraft heading towards or away from the AFV concerned. Shooting down an aircraft which flew across the line of sight would be beyond miraculous!

Rearguards

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Sleep interrupted play today, but I did start whitewashing the gun at the busy end.

I also bit the bullet and snipped the gate from the slot in the gun mantlet, and test-fitted the gun. As expected the gun barrel is slightly off centre within the mantlet's slot. This is due to an error from Tamiya - where the ratchet beneath the gun cradle fouls the base of the gun mount and pushes one side of the gun cradle up. I didn't discover the cause in my previous Nashorn build and basically forced the gun into a more central position with targeted applications of CA. This time I will simply file down the offending teeth on the ratchet.

4GNFmRj.jpg

u9HyUou.jpg

The white breech isn't white, it's dunkelgelb! I repainted it and will re-weather it back to the darker yellow colour.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

AHH Badder, I step away from our planet for a brief sojourn around the outer quadrant just  to check on the few remaining   Orangest-de La Crunch-eitas.   Come back and what do I find?  Progress on ol' Nashy, of course, Washes being washed, Color -oops Colour being applied to the big gun  and that all prefaced by you  (quite unfairly, I might add) having to endure a vile attack.  Well as (I think) Terry Thomas said  "Damn it man we can't have this sort of thing, it just  isn't Cricket- don-ch kow?" ……….🤔 'course it could have been Peppa Pig, I'm never quite sure.

To be a bit serious, I'm glad for your return to at least a  relative "norm" .

The work on your Nashorn is very inspiring. It has caused me to have tried an amateurish oil wash over Acrylic, for the first time -ever. 😮   While I now see how it works-sorta, and I shall, "Bravely go where no man has gone before" and keep at it.  Besides, truth be told, this  project de-jour is a  car model's dash board.   To which I'm trying to create a hint of Burled, something or other, wood grain.  So far, a resounding ZZZZZZZZZ😴. But it's early days so, I'll  soon be able to overwork it until it looks like the bottom of a cow pie. 

Keep Smiling -

it makes them, wonder what you know

• Thanks 1

Hi Badder. Hope you are having a better day today. I think your various washes on the gun are really bringing it to life. Shame about Tamiya's error with their construction but it's good you are aware of how to deal with it. All of it is looking really fantastic! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, Prop Duster said:

AHH Badder, I step away from our planet for a brief sojourn around the outer quadrant just  to check on the few remaining   Orangest-de La Crunch-eitas.   Come back and what do I find?  Progress on ol' Nashy, of course, Washes being washed, Color -oops Colour being applied to the big gun  and that all prefaced by you  (quite unfairly, I might add) having to endure a vile attack.  Well as (I think) Terry Thomas said  "Damn it man we can't have this sort of thing, it just  isn't Cricket- don-ch kow?" ……….🤔 'course it could have been Peppa Pig, I'm never quite sure.

To be a bit serious, I'm glad for your return to at least a  relative "norm" .

The work on your Nashorn is very inspiring. It has caused me to have tried an amateurish oil wash over Acrylic, for the first time -ever. 😮   While I now see how it works-sorta, and I shall, "Bravely go where no man has gone before" and keep at it.  Besides, truth be told, this  project de-jour is a  car model's dash board.   To which I'm trying to create a hint of Burled, something or other, wood grain.  So far, a resounding ZZZZZZZZZ😴. But it's early days so, I'll  soon be able to overwork it until it looks like the bottom of a cow pie. 

Keep Smiling -

it makes them, wonder what you know

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:00 AM, wimbledon99 said:

Looking even better with the gun, Badder!!!!

Hope you're feeling better. Sounds terrible :sad:

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Hope you are having a better day today. I think your various washes on the gun are really bringing it to life. Shame about Tamiya's error with their construction but it's good you are aware of how to deal with it. All of it is looking really fantastic! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Sorry for the late reply chaps. I also apologise for the 'block' response.  I did read your comments on the day they were made and did set about replying to each of you in one post, but I'm afraid I fell asleep and BM 'lost' what I had typed. (The auto-save function seems to me to be 'more miss than hit' than a Stuka)

To summarise though:

I am over the worst of the relapse, with the pains having returned to their 'normal' background levels, but I am still in the 'falling asleep at the drop of a hat and sleeping for much longer' phase.

This has meant a decrease in the amount of time I've been able to devote to this build. In fact I've barely managed an hour a day - only adding the 3 control wheels, gunner's sight and seat. Unfortunately, I held the gun by the barrel for much of the handling, and predictably rubbed the base coat off. So, 3 steps forward, 1 step back.

Hopefully I will have the gun completely finished over the weekend.

Steve, I wish you well with the oils. I've used oils just the once, and whilst I did like the 'freedom' they offer, I haven't used them since. That's purely down to impatience over the drying times - something I suspect would be lowered in your sunny California climes! Now, when you say 'wood'..........

Rearguards,

Badder

Just a couple of parts left to add to the gun, both on the breech.

The mantlet is ready to fit.

And on that note, the instructions for constructing the gun mount could be better. Tamiya don't emphasise that the two bottom struts (which attach the mantlet to the gun mount) should be angled slightly upwards. Last time, I fixed them on the horizontal. And that led to problems. It's not until later in the instructions that Tamiya show they should be angled upwards.

Luckily, I remembered this just in time and fixed them correctly.

I also recall having problems with the uppermost struts - those I have yet to remove from their sprues. We'll see if I have the same problems shortly.

I've chipped and weathered most of the breech-end of the gun.  I've also fixed all of the moving parts with thin CA.  The gun will still rotate (when fitted to the gun bed) but I locked everything else. Mostly, this is because the temptation is to play around with the gun's elevation, and that's not a good thing because the 'yoke' with the hydraulic pistons is rather weak and has been known to snap.

Anyway, here's how things progressed, starting with the addition of the gunner's sight and seat, gun control wheels, and some washes....

bDOfjfC.jpg

3U3iRnJ.jpg

sc9kWQv.jpg

And with the breech block in place and some chipping done....

AgD8jKL.jpg

I will add the final parts now and carry on with the weathering.

Oh, BTW, I am seriously contemplating repainting the interior of the fighting compartment - making it paler. I don't think it'll be too much of a problem if I do so using targeted washes.

TFL

Badder

• Like 4

Hi Badder, it is good to see that you have returned to the Nassy, hoping that everything will go better at least.

It is really annoying when we make a kit and still following the instructions, there is a mounting defect, difficult to fix if you know it and even more difficult when it is too late ... it seems that you have overcome the problem satisfactorily.

If it does not move, I do not think it's very important, it's "static modeling", and not a toy. My kits almost never move the barrel, and most of the time it's not my fault, because the final adjustment recommends not touching it much later, or there will be breaks ..

I really like all that pile of pieces, giving a feeling of something complex.

I see that the color of the padding of the sight, which is green, and not black, and the gunner's seat, which is not brown or similar.

Maybe the interior looks better something clearer, it will add some lights, and will make the model more luminous and therefore something more attractive to look at, as the details will be more appreciated.

Now maybe that job is complicated, but not impossible ... I think if you decide to do it, you're still on time.

Keep up the good work ...

Cheers Badder 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Badder said:

Oh, BTW, I am seriously contemplating repainting the interior of the fighting compartment - making it paler. I don't think it'll be too much of a problem if I do so using targeted washes.

I thought the weathering of the interior was particularly good - my favourite part of a very impressive build. 

• Like 1