PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH. FINISHED?PHOTO HEAVY p22

Badder

Just a brief 'non-photographic' update; to allay fears that some disaster has befallen Nassy at the last hurdle (as was the case with my previous Nashorn!)

I removed one track link from the driver's side because there was one too many and it was bugging me! It's never an easy task to remove links from a joined-up set of tracks, but I had left an extra long pin in both sets, just in case such a necessity arose.

I fitted one scratched handle - a tiny bit oversize, but I put that down to a bodged repair job by Werner Schmittenbarkopfman - the apprentice welder-upper. The other handle got lost, so that's a job for this afternoon.

The gun barrel will get a coat of matt and will be weathered to completion today as well.

After researching 'water-pattern' camo schemes on the net, I've settled for a slightly different version to that prescribed by Tamiya. Basically, I felt that 'Tamiya's' pattern was too 'fine' in detail and that other versions of the pattern were more within my capabilities. I'm dressing all of the crew in their water pattern trousers, but with their jackets inside out and showing plain white. Hopefully I can get these finished today as well.

That will leave just some final detailing on Nassy - I hope to be able to add some wires and the odd bit of kit.

If I can manage to get all this done by this evening, or tomorrow mid-afternoon, then I will have a go at bashing out a base. Failing that, I could sprinkle my 'Ever Evolving Dio' with snow and use that as a temporary setting. But is that cheating????

I'll ask @PlaStix about that because he uses his Spitfire? base for just such purposes!!! I'm Joking Stix, of course it's not cheating.

Photos later then, hopefully of things I've got finished today!

TFL

Badder

• Like 2

Hi Badder. Great to hear this is still progressing and Nassy hasn't been beset by disaster!!

Hope all the final bits and pieces get sorted okay and that you get around to getting some photos taken and posted in the Gallery.

Yeah my Spitfire display base is really handy for it's sky photo backdrop. It's basically a shelf which has been covered with some Woodlands Scenics Blended Turf and had a few tufts added here and there. It was made so I could display the Spitfires I was intially building when I returned to the hobby proper. I now have too many Spitfires for it - it only holds five 1/48 Spitfires - I was intially building 1/72 Spitfires and never imagined I'd build too many planes for it!! Pinned onto the back of the shelf is some 3mm MDF onto which a panoramic photo, of a small airfield scene (that I found online years ago), is glued. I hadn't intended it for a general photographic background but luckily it has worked out that way. If I'm making a base for new models I often use the same blended turf as the main cover so that if it's on the Spitfire base it kind of extends the area so as to fill in any gaps around the model base. It's one of the reasons I take my photos so low down - so as to improve the actual photograph - to make it look slightly more realistic - with no gaps in the scenery. The original photo was obviously taken from low down and with the lanscape only a minor feature in the lower areas of the image. For any desert scenes I have some desert lanscape photo backdrops and place the tank model's sandy bases either on suitably coloured glasspaper or on my chipboard surfaced workbench.

What ever you decide to do I'm sure Nassy will look excellent!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Hi Badder,

I hope everything goes well and we can see it on time. I was at the end very tight, I thought I had continued today, but it was a busy day, so, "better bird in hand, than a hundred flying ..." lol.

Cheers Badder 👍

• Haha 1

Th

18 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Badder,

I hope everything goes well and we can see it on time. I was at the end very tight, I thought I had continued today, but it was a busy day, so, "better bird in hand, than a hundred flying ..." lol.

Cheers Badder 👍

Thanks Francis,

I will be finished in time - although I was hoping to have the figures finished by now. I have a few more hours work still to do on them!

I have some extra stowage/kit lined up to add to Nassy, but I will have to scratch one 'essential'.

Hopefully it'll all be done by tonight and I can start on the base tomorrow.

And no, I won't be doing what I did with the 'Vignette GB' when I finished with about 20mins left until the close, went to post the pics and had my internet connection give up on me, causing me to miss the deadline by about half an hour IIRC!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Badder,

I would suggest something that you may have already thought about, but anyway, I would make a set of photos of the vehicle, then the base, and after the whole, if they are already "presentable", of course, even if it lacks the " icing on the cake ", and you'll go up to where you host them (Imgur, I think, like me ...), in case God did not want something similar to happen again.
That way you make sure that your work is for the posterity of the GB, and you do not leave us with a "Nassy-interruptus" ... lol

Keep working hard, we want to see your "little one".

Cheers Badder 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:16 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Wish you better luck with the internet this time Badder

Thanks Robert,

We now have broadband - which we didn't have last year, or for the 'infamously late' Enemy at the Gate for the Vignette GB a few years ago. But anyway, I won't be leaving it until '2 minutes to midnight' (the hand that beckons doom) this time!

See below....

Rearguards,

Badder

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, FrancisGL said:

Hi Badder,

I would suggest something that you may have already thought about, but anyway, I would make a set of photos of the vehicle, then the base, and after the whole, if they are already "presentable", of course, even if it lacks the " icing on the cake ", and you'll go up to where you host them (Imgur, I think, like me ...), in case God did not want something similar to happen again.
That way you make sure that your work is for the posterity of the GB, and you do not leave us with a "Nassy-interruptus" ... lol

Keep working hard, we want to see your "little one".

Cheers Badder 👍

Hi Francis,

Things haven't progressed as quickly as I'd imagined they would today, but as I said above, I won't be missing the deadline. Thanks for your suggestion as to my photo set, but again... see below......

Rearguards,

Badder

9 hours ago, Hewy said:

👀

... --- ... ?

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder - I'm starting to get a bit nervous..........how's it going?

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

DON'T PANIC!!!!

Rearguards

Badder

Okay, the last few 'touch-ups' and the last few bits and pieces took/are taking rather longer than I had presumed. I started off by finishing the whitewash and weathering on the gun barrel and also added whitewash to the spare tracks at the front of the hull. 

I made the last 'handle' for the side panel - which proved a nightmare to fix in place for some reason. In fact I had to make several before one finally stuck in place with CA. Don't ask me why the others wouldn't stick, but heating the last one over a candle first, did the trick. I then added the last 2 kit parts - those being the MG mounts. One of those bleedin' snapped and continued to snap after each 'repair' In the end I resolved the problem by draping a couple of cloths over it. (CA'd Tissue paper) Perhaps they are the loaders' hand towels hung up to dry. I mean, who'd want to handle 88mm rounds with wet hands?

And then I knocked one of the rear doors off! Grrrrr. It was the one that was going to be propped short of fully open. I was going to drape a 'scratched' jacket over the rear panel and have that preventing the door from resting fully open, but time-constraints meant that was no longer an option.

In fact, apart from the 'towels' I've had to give up on adding details, for the same reason.

I haven't quite finished the figures yet - but am not too far off. They are in no way 'up to my desired standard', but I was never intending that they would be used when it came to Nassy being placed in a diorama in the future. I was only building the figures for ONE PHOTO in the gallery. As the photo will be a from behind and slightly above, I don't think it's necessary to go all Rembrandt on them.

Once the figures are done, I'll be placing the crewed Nassy on a suitable surface, scatter some snow about, chuck the ammo crates and empty shell cases out of the rear and plonk an old winter tree in the background.  This won't be a base then, just a one-off set piece for the one 'atmospheric shot' for the gallery.

So, maybe the photos will be done in the next hour or two at the max.

TFL

Badder

'So, maybe the photos will be done in the next hour or two at the max.'

Haaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

'Maybe' was the operative word it turns out! Got the photos in the gallery 11.55pm

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Matt coat going on the figures and then I'll set everything up for the photos.

I will post a load of photos here and then select 5 from those for the gallery.

TFL

Badder

• Like 2

Don't take too long - main thing to do is get your 5 photos in the Gallery in plenty of time in case things don’t go as planned!

Kind regards,

Stix

Talk about last minute!!!!! Well done on getting it finished but more importantly, in this case, getting it in the Gallery in time! I was beginning to think it wouldn't appear! 

Great result all round as I knew it would be. :thumbsup::clap2::clap2::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 1

• Badder changed the title to PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH. IN THE GALLERY WITH 5MINS TO SPARE
1 minute ago, PlaStix said:

Talk about last minute!!!!! Well done on getting it finished but more importantly, in this case, getting it in the Gallery in time! I was beginning to think it wouldn't appear! 

Great result all round as I knew it would be. :thumbsup::clap2::clap2::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

I got the fright of my life when I saw it was 11.20pm and I hadn't even finished taking photos, let alone uploading them to Imgur, choosing which ones to submit, then making an entry for the gallery. And all that time I spent on the figures and I didn't use those photos!

Oh well. Here they are... with an impromptu scenic setting.

DcQu6OZ.jpg

Probably best I ended up not entering them into the gallery cos the commander has gloss hands!!!

Thanks for your good work in helping to host this GB Stix. The best one yet!!!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Badder said:

gloss hands!!!

I prefer to think they're shiny tan leather gloves, but on a more serious note, it really is a masterpiece badder top drawer and top marks to boot, very well done

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Badder,

Great job on your Nashhorn, well done getting it over the finish line on time 👍

I enjoyed following your thread and watching the model come together. 

Cheers Greg 🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Badder,

Great job on your Nashhorn, well done getting it over the finish line on time 👍

I enjoyed following your thread and watching the model come together. 

Cheers Greg 🍺

7 hours ago, Hewy said:

I prefer to think they're shiny tan leather gloves, but on a more serious note, it really is a masterpiece badder top drawer and top marks to boot, very well done

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

A great build Badder, I like it - and I've enjoyed your thread, thank-you.

The crew look good, though they didn't reach the gallery :(

Thanks chaps.

It's been great to have you along for the ride.

As always your comments are very humbling. It's been a fantastic GB with so much great work going on it's been hard to know where to look, and even harder to 'put the lappy down and actually do some modelling!'

It's a shame I had to rush over deciding which photos to enter into the gallery. The fact is there were probably a couple of better photos I could have submitted.

Unfortunately the only photos I entered were taken under fluorescent lighting and all the colours have been muted by quite a degree. In daylight the underlying greens, yellows and red-browns are much more apparent through the worn whitewash and add a lot of character to Nassy.  

But never mind, she's  not fallen to bits like the last one.

There'll be more work done on her when the diorama is ready , but I'll show that being done in the diorama WIP.  For those who don't know, my 'Ever Evolving Dio' is going to be changed to a winter scene and used as a setting for winterized vehicles - each of which can be swapped in or out of the diorama.

That's going to be a BIG challenge!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 3

Hi Badder. I have now just about forgiven you for the stress of waiting for your photos to appear in the Gallery. Late afternoon you did suggest they would be posted in an hour or so - so when it was 15 minutes to midnight and there wasn't anything from you posted yet - I figured either the internet had crumbled or you had dozed off!! Never mind......you got them posted and it looks excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos at some point.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone, here are some more photos. Some are those already in the gallery, but I can't be bothered to edit them out.

DBYKJNc.jpg

avhzNBI.jpg

JOepLMU.jpg

iZPS1uO.jpg

dTn0xcm.jpg

lbw9Qvm.jpg

gNtd4sc.jpg

f5LwML1.jpg

Z9nLwqH.jpg

4bbU1WR.jpg

Above and below. The observant (all of you) will spot the emergency blob of CA used as a stand-in for the aerial mount. I had planned to drill out the kit's mount, but ruined it, and I didn't have time to whittle a piece of sprue into shape.

2ZH62Dl.jpg

eiCQ11n.jpg

UvJJAYh.jpg

BELOW - This photo is showing the colours better.

04MJSCU.jpg

Z0f3m3W.jpg

And a few action shots, none of which made it to the gallery, because one, the figures blocked the view of the interior detail, and two, the figures were rushed and the commander's hands were glossy and all hands were too pinky/orange. I imagine they'd be more accurate being blue/white! Plus a fair bit of errant 'snow'. The snow is a quarter bottle of Woodland Scenics' Soft Flake Snow (ground-up plastic) and whilst loose here, it looks to be a good product for bulking out areas of snow in dioramas.

3DJdkzP.jpg

DcQu6OZ.jpg

The 'shim' worked perfectly in the end: centralizing the gun within the mantlet slot.... er.... perfectly!

0TwyjlF.jpg

fzt5GIC.jpg

That worn patch above the radiator grill does have a green tint, but it's not showing up in any of these photos.

r9ImAWt.jpg

SZEwKQB.jpg

iIAyl5l.jpg

Had I the time, I'd have added a few bits and pieces of extra kit - a spade, axe, water canteens, a jerry can for water (melted snow) a ladder (for easier access at the rear) and of course, a whitewashing broom.

Nassy will eventually get decent figures (The kit ones aren't bad, but they aren't good either) and mud and snow added to the tracks when plonked into a diorama.

Thanks to everyone who followed and/or commented on this build, and for the many suggestions, tips and advice offered along the way. You guys inspire me!

See you all in the Tiger STGB!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 4

• Badder changed the title to PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH. FINISHED?PHOTO HEAVY p22
6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Fantastic build badder, it’s been a pleasure following along. Looking forward to the next instalment

Hi Clive,

This GB would be 'Hornless' if it weren't for your kind donation. 

No diorama I'm afraid, but then I'm a bit slow - and it wouldn't have been as good as yours anyway!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Hi Badder,

This is outstanding!!

All that work has definitely paid off. The figures and diorama bring the whole thing to life. Thanks for the lessons and entertainment :worthy:

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Badder,

This is outstanding!!

All that work has definitely paid off. The figures and diorama bring the whole thing to life. Thanks for the lessons and entertainment :worthy:

Cheers

Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

It was a great GB, and as you say, entertaining, as well as being informative. I've learned a few things following other's work.

I'd like to restate that my figures were rushed to meet the deadline and were just blu-tac'd in place and that the 'diorama' is just some fake snow poured onto a piece of white paper with some twigs plonked in the background for a tree. Nassy will get a proper diorama and new figures in the future.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Work on Nassy will continue, on and off, until the diorama is ready for it.

The jobs still to do (excluding mud and snow effects which will be added when the diorama is ready) are:

To add tie-downs along the bottom edges of the side panels.

To thread wires through the tie-downs and cross the wires over the fighting compartment panels. These wires were used to secure branches/foliage to the Nashorn for camouflage.

To make a new aerial mount, replacing the one which was damaged.

To add some bits of stowage such as a jerry can for water (melted snow) and one for fuel.

To find and make new crew figures.

And no doubt, I'll be refining some of the whitewash and touching up that green patch which hasn't shown up in the photos above.

TFL

Badder

• Like 1