PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH. FINISHED?PHOTO HEAVY p22

Badder

52 minutes ago, Prop Duster said:

Badder

Not surprisingly you have once again [insert stentorian voice here] "Scaled the Olympian Heights of White-warsher-dum"  [end voice]

Thus creating a tour-de-force for the rest of us to bash about trying to be worthy of following in your paint steps.

To read you are going to add colours to the white of the white wash seemed to me counter intuitive....then I realized that that is done all the time in armor modeling, so, Why Not?

Well Good Wishes to you  and remember if the paint brush you just picked up feels, soft, warm and pliable in your fingers; you've picked up the wrong end. 

Hi Steve,

First off, I hope you are well?

I've been a bit concerned about 'The Polar Vortex', thinking of the film 'Day After Tomorrow' and wondering if California is being swamped by anti-modelmaking migrants from the north.

As you've not mentioned anything along those lines, I assume my fears were unfounded.

Thanks once again for your unprecedented (and possibly undeserved) lauding of my work. I still consider myself 'new to this lark', but someone who will work, rework, re-rework and re-re-rework something until I'm happy with it. It's that thing that I call.. . cough..... 'layering'.

And on that note, I am having to add colours here and there, ONLY because the earlier layers of ink have 'cured' and are now proving difficult to remove with the 'rubbing-back technique' I could scrape the layers back with a scalpel, or remove them by sanding, but the addition of a bit of paint is more economical and safer!

I have explained why I wanted more colour to show, but just to emphasise, the patches of colour become details - breaking up the flat expansive side-panels, breaking up the 'boring' white, decreasing the amount of 'boring' white and allowing the white to be brightened without overpowering the model.

Luckily, the side panels of the Nashorn aren't the kind of place to suffer much trampling underboot, and can remain quite clean and unworn when compared to the glacis, so I can get away with a difference in the brightness and  consistency of the whitewash from the front to the rear of the vehicle. Besides, the crew might have decided that the side panels needed re-whitewashing at some point.

This is my thinking, and I'm sticking to it, like a medium-rare cow pat to a welly.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

HI Badder. Everything seems to be progressing well...........which has me slightly worried.......... :shutup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Don't worry, there's always the gun! 

Last time I built it as per the instructions and all was good. The problem was when it came to fit it in place. The mantlet didn't sit correctly between the frontal armour plates because the struts fixing the mantlet to the gun were too long - and the locating 'divots' into which they fitted were in the wrong place. IIRC, the only way I could get the mantlet sitting correctly in the gap AND remain 'square' to the gun was to cut the struts and position them slightly on the skew. I did snap one in the process and had to bin it, but it was a bottom strut and so couldn't really be seen.

I've found no references to this problem anywhere on the net, so possibly I'd done something wrong during the build, but I  doubt it, and expect the same issue to repeat itself.

We shall see.

Rearguards,

Badder

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

I am truely impressed by your weathering- muddiing - skills!!

Thanks Exdraken, very kind of you to say.

I'll be continuing with the weathering for a few days yet and hopefully it'll end up looking how I want it to.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

The whitewash is now brighter after dense streaking. I've started the chipping phase here because I want some of the whitewash to have 'run' down over the chips. In other words, the whitewashing isn't yet finished.

I am considering removing that almost circular 'chip' directly beneath the 'mern' of Pommern. This damage was caused by the removal of a sticky mask  during my aborted 'disc camo'.

pUmaPG0.jpg

Brighter whitewash on the fenders, plus some chipping:

nH8TeQE.jpg

To give a better sense of the brightness of the whitewash now:

HGQ15EE.jpg

Note the plastic mask with the holes in it. This was going to be used for the disc camo, but visible in the centre (or rather, missing entirely) is the section of discs which snapped and dropped out of the mask, rendering it unfit for purpose.

The side panels of the Nashorn are pretty boring, but from the outset I've been planning on adding some detail here. I could go the 'lazy' way, or do it properly with some very fiddly scratch. It's getting close to that point where I will have to decide whether to add the details or not.  If I do go for it, I,will go for the scratch first.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

Hi Badder. Your whitewash and weathering effects still seem to be building up nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to to do with the next steps of weathering on the side panels.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Today is definitely the day to test the effectiveness of our white washing against a real snow background.

Hi/ Clive,

Today has been an awful day. In the pre-dawn, I had a walk down our lane (a no through road) to see how bad the snow was, and whether I should risk driving the 3/4 miles down it to the main road and go to work. Wrapped up, with gloves in my pocket, I set off, and decided to film my adventure. I put my gloves on, got my mobile phone out of my pocket and made a mini-video-documentary, showing 'proof' of how bad the lane was. I couldn't actually find the edges of the single-track lane, or the ditches either side, and decided it wasn't worth the risk. So I returned home to phone in and explain why I wasn't going to be in for work today. Passing my car, I thought I'd get the firewood out of the boot, and discovered I had lost my car keys (with the back door key on it) They were somewhere between my back door and 200 yards down the lane in 5 inches of soft drifting snow.

I've been up and down that lane half a dozen times today, kicking snow aside, walking in the tracks of 4x4's whenever one ventured out, all to no avail. I did have a spare key, but the key fob battery was flat and when I used it manually it triggered the engine immobiliser.

Not a happy bunny then.

Still, could be worse.

On the plus side, I've more or less finished the whitewashing of the Nashorn and am ready to move on to either a bit of scratched detailing, or the rear panel, or the gun.

Hope you are well and that you southerners have hadn't had it so bad snow-wise. You are nearer the equator than us so I suspect that's the case.

Rearguards,

Badder

8 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

I think it will stand up to the test  :smile:

Hi Nigel,

I've already lost my car keys in the snow, I don't want to risk losing my Nashorn as well!

Rearguards,

Badder

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Think I like it at this stage Badder, remember - less is more ...

Hi Robert,

You are quite correct, and it's a mantra I've been trying to stick to throughout this project.

Rearguards,

Badder 

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Your whitewash and weathering effects still seem to be building up nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to to do with the next steps of weathering on the side panels.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

I refer you to Robert's comment and my reply. If I succeed in adding some *cough*  'super-detailing' there will probably be a tiny bit of touching up required afterwards. Other than that, the side panel whitewashing and weathering is finished.

Hope you and Mrs Stix are well,

Rearguards,

Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Finishing off the whitewashing and weathering of the side panels. (Barring 'touch-ups')

Chipping was done in 3 or 4 stages.

First, dilute Sepia acrylic ink was applied all along the bottom edges of the side panels and fenders. The idea was to provide a 'bridge' between the whitewash and any exposed red-brown, dark yellow, or green camo, and likewise, the chipping to follow.

Next, neat Burnt Umber acrylic ink (chipping) was applied along the bottom edges of the side panels and fenders.

Then, in some places, the Burnt Umber was 'flicked' up the panels with a damp brush, or was wetted more and drawn along the bottom edges to fade them or tint patches of whitewash here and there.

Finally, neat white acrylic ink was dry-brushed down the panels and over some of the chipping and exposed camo on those bottom edges.

Q84CAr3.jpg

C870iOn.jpg

I did repair the huge 'chip' in the paint below the Pommern graphic, using wet 'n' dry. The sanding strayed a little, but I thought to make a feature of it, leaving the underlying camo slightly exposed.

ekaRETX.jpg

6g9cSKk.jpg

I have yet to finish the whitewashing/weathering of the rear panel.

rBi10Kj.jpg

NPPipys.jpg

8wa2QFk.jpg

F91zS2y.jpg

I will now try to scratch some details for the side panels.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 9

Thankfully not that bad at the other end of Wiltshire, hopefully you will find your keys in a day or so. I had completely the opposite, I got to work to be told if you’ve got nothing pressing to do then go home. So I’ve spent a fair bit of time at the bench for not a lot to show for my time, your Nashorn is looking the business with the whitewash complete.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Badder,

How much more are you planning to do on this? It looks superb as it is!!!

Well, let's see...

There's around 30 kit parts still to be added to the interior and exterior plus some extra ammo crates and empty shell cases, then there's the gun itself - which is a model in its own right - and maybe 50-60 parts? Too many to count at this time of the early hours. Then there's the figures. plus a few extra scratch-built bits and pieces I want to add. Oh and muddying/snowing up the tracks!

So, still a lot to do!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

The whitewashing of the rear panel has been done. Chipping and re-painting of the exhaust pipes to follow.

LOTR5Zn.jpg

Mud will be added to the lower areas and then the final kit parts can be added, except for the doors which will be left off until the end of the project.

TFL

Badder

• Like 4

As I said before, it is difficult to follow the progress, because the numerous changes make it not so easy to comment.

It is not criticism, of course, it is commendable the determination you show to get a result to your liking (the main thing), I myself, it seems that never hit the first how my kit will progress, much less how I would like it will remain and how will it be ... just paint - see - disgust - erase - paint, etc ... maybe someday reach the Nirvana of the modelist clairvoyance ... lol

The photos on the side make it possible to get an idea of how the whole set is going, and that the tracks and those metal shells together with the work done so far give a very promising result.

Cheers Badder 👍

12 hours ago, Badder said:

Well, let's see...

There's around 30 kit parts still to be added to the interior and exterior plus some extra ammo crates and empty shell cases, then there's the gun itself - which is a model in its own right - and maybe 50-60 parts? Too many to count at this time of the early hours. Then there's the figures. plus a few extra scratch-built bits and pieces I want to add. Oh and muddying/snowing up the tracks!

So, still a lot to do!

Rearguards,

Badder

Sorry Badder, Maybe I should have added the word 'weathering' somewhere in my comment :facepalm:

Thanks for the detail though :smile:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Sorry Badder, Maybe I should have added the word 'weathering' somewhere in my comment :facepalm:

Thanks for the detail though :smile:

Ah, okay Nigel. Well, I've done a fair bit of chipping all over and just need to tidy up a few of the chips. I've also given the gun mantlet an undercoat of camo and have whitewashed that. 

I have to rub that back. Then there's mud and snow to add to the tracks and rear and I think that'll be it done. Oh... .and then  I can start on the gun.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:20 PM, Badder said:

Hi Steve,

First off, I hope you are well?

I've been a bit concerned about 'The Polar Vortex', thinking of the film 'Day After Tomorrow' and wondering if California is being swamped by anti-modelmaking migrants from the north.

As you've not mentioned anything along those lines, I assume my fears were unfounded.

Thanks once again for your unprecedented (and possibly undeserved) lauding of my work. I still consider myself 'new to this lark', but someone who will work, rework, re-rework and re-re-rework something until I'm happy with it. It's that thing that I call.. . cough..... 'layering'.

And on that note, I am having to add colours here and there, ONLY because the earlier layers of ink have 'cured' and are now proving difficult to remove with the 'rubbing-back technique' I could scrape the layers back with a scalpel, or remove them by sanding, but the addition of a bit of paint is more economical and safer!

I have explained why I wanted more colour to show, but just to emphasise, the patches of colour become details - breaking up the flat expansive side-panels, breaking up the 'boring' white, decreasing the amount of 'boring' white and allowing the white to be brightened without overpowering the model.

Luckily, the side panels of the Nashorn aren't the kind of place to suffer much trampling underboot, and can remain quite clean and unworn when compared to the glacis, so I can get away with a difference in the brightness and  consistency of the whitewash from the front to the rear of the vehicle. Besides, the crew might have decided that the side panels needed re-whitewashing at some point.

This is my thinking, and I'm sticking to it, like a medium-rare cow pat to a welly.

Rearguards,

Badder

Bader

Goodness the trials and tribulations  of being a "Ye ol' Jolly English Modeler.  Having to wonder about into the snow covered tundra trying to scout a passable way to reach civilization, only to be thwarted and have to trudge back those weary steps. Then just when ready to cozy up to a roaring fire in the Great Room and return to putting on winter white wash  (is there any irony here?).   You loose your life line and have to slog to and froe, in vain- The despair must have been palpable.  Well its good you were able to at last break-in to a car-though I can't quite figure out how being inside a car eases your way to the inside of the house -doubtless I missed a sentence or two in all the excitement. 

However  a hearty Huzza! for the masterful "weathering- er- wintering-er- Well What-EVER it s called.  

Re: the impending glut of unwashed masses

Not to worry, I live in the Southern  portion of California (which is some 1,240 km long) so the only bit of snow we get is in the mountains. It's very polite, the snow. It never comes down from the mountains to our population centers . We have had to "hunker down", however, all the while scampering about to find out rain gear ( plastic trash bags are a suitable alternatefor Millennials or younger)

Our local rain has been very heavy - well,  when compared to a lawn sprinkler.   Shockingly, Rain water has actually RUNOFF the roofs and into the gutters and down the hill. Quite an disturbing sight for we locals, here about.  We are due to have "rain bands of showers" for the next couple days; so the treat level is raised to high ( 'bout .002 on the 1-5 scale- we are a nervous people- ya know)  So far the hordes of teaming masses from the rest of the country have not materialized- likely do to the fact is Too Cold for them to get out.  We wait with fresh sunscreen, beach umbrellas, sun glasses and iced drinks for their expected arrival, come the thaw. 

In ALL seriousness. I am blessed to live in this part of the country. That Artic Vortex is no joke and I can only imagine how hard daily life must be.  My Best wishes go out to those who are enduring at this time.

Well tis all for now, I bid you happy modeling. model_h8440e9e.jpg

Steve 

• Like 2

Hi Badder. Yes Mrs Stix and I are well thank you and we hope your and yours are all keeping well too. Any sign of the keys yet? We've been very lucky here - no snow yet!

Excellent progress with your build. Looking very impressive. 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Yes Mrs Stix and I are well thank you and we hope your and yours are all keeping well too. Any sign of the keys yet? We've been very lucky here - no snow yet!

Excellent progress with your build. Looking very impressive. 

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

I've been 200 yards up and down the lane every few hours (during daylight obviously) searching for them as more and more vehicles use the road and compress the snow and start the thawing process. The snow started thawing properly this afternoon and I reckon 1/4 is now clear, but what's left is compacted and still about 3-4inches deep in places so I'm hoping the keys are in that, as I've not found them in the 'shallow' or clear bits. Possibly they are somewhere in the 'untouched' bits near the verges - the snow was drifting at the time, so the snow covered up places that I had walked on, but now look like virgin snow. Hopefully, I will find them tomorrow after work.

Nashorn-wise, I've fitted the jack and jack block and am in the process of adding parts to the rear panel. Oh, and yes, of course I've fiddled about with the whitewash here and there!

Rearguards,

Badder

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:24 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. I do hope you manage to find them okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

I found my keys during heavy rain and rapid thaw at 6.29am Monday. They were in the lane about 6ft away from my car, just appearing from the slush.

Nashorn-wise, I'm still messing about with the whitewash - most specifically the whitewash on the gun mantlet. It's proving a bit pesky as I'm trying to get a 'half-way house' between

the whitewashed side panels and the glacis. I'm nearly there though.

Hopefully pics later.

Rearguards,

Badder

ps You've produced a stupendous 2018 Yearbook - worthy of all the praise it's getting and something you should be truly proud of.

I don't seem able to create my own (with just one finished model, the Sherman!)  Maybe I missed the deadline?

• Like 2

Hi Badder. I'm glad you managed to find your keys! That is good news. Hope the work on the mantlet has gone okay.

Thank you for your comments about my Yearbook. It was a good year for models last year. The Yearbook section does close after only a few weeks for new Yearbook posts and will close at some point for replies in Yearbook too.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

Spare track rail, jack block and jack added. For those who don't know, the jack block is the wooden thing on the fender, picture left.

And of course, I've continued to fiddle with the whitewash and weathering!

sdvM4Rh.jpg

The jack block:

sG7FhpW.jpg

And, for the AC/DC fans - THE JACK!

This will get some dark pin washes and a bit of grease.

7jv8TrI.jpg

I've also whitewashed and weathered the gun mantlet to a reasonable state. It will get some more treatments once the ink has fully cured.

The difficulty here was to get the mantlet to balance with the side panels and frontal armour plates, but not to clash wildly with the glacis. In order to do that, I added some green camo to the mantlet and the LHS frontal armour plate, whitewashed over it and rubbed it back. These sections will have to be re-chipped as I took most of that off in the rubbing back process.

cIDiCFA.jpg

Again, some green added to the gun mantlet RHS. Oh, hello hair! You shall be removed forthwith!

DfyCXta.jpg

And finally for now - the rear - which got some green and red-brown added and will be getting a fair bit of mud:

z9MPbIB.jpg

Note that the 'footstep' (the 'U' shaped bit in the centre) was lost whilst PLACING it down on my cutting matt and took over 2hrs to find. This was thanks to the Hyper-physical laws of Model-making which mean that small pieces of plastic can teleport 6ft across a room and reappear in the tiny crevice between the edge of a carpet and a skirting board. Still, it was easier to find than my car keys!

p.s. Can anyone tell me what the 'cylinder' type thing is bottom left corner of the hull? I've always assumed these are some kind of shielded light. Ta.

TFL

Badder

• Like 2