PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH. FINISHED?PHOTO HEAVY p22

Badder

9 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

That "zebra" looks great in spite of all the inconveniences, when it is scratched it will be very well integrated, I would give it for good, maybe with more time you could do something that you would like more, but as I say, for me it is very good.

Cheers Badder 👍

Thanks Francis,

I've now finished the gun and I'm happy with it. I've moved on to adding the last kit parts to Nassy, and will be adding a few extras.

Rearguards,

Badder

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Your kill marks on the barrel look to be in keeping with the overall weathered appearance badder, considering the size of said barrel  that's a very nice job 

Thanks Glynn,

I've whitewashed and weathered it now, so expect an improvement!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Nashorns carried 16 rounds in the cabinets, and an optional 8-24 extra rounds in ammo crates stacked/laid out on the floor.

In a prolonged battle, it was customary for the crew to open the rear doors. This enabled the quick and easy disposal of empty shell cases and ammo crates - the rounds in the crates being used before those in the cabinets.

The opening of the rear doors seems to be a bit of an issue for some modellers. The fact is that the doors usually have decals on them, and so do the L and RHS of the rear panel. Opening the doors fully means hiding all of those decals. I've seen modellers get around this dilemma by only half-opening the doors. This is a gross error and one that should be obvious when the doors are thus positioned pointing skyward! Because the rear panel of the Nashorn - and therefore the door hinges and doors themselves - are all inclined inboard. A door opened less than halfway would slam back shut. A door opened slightly more than 90 degrees would swing fully open, coming to rest against the rear panel. A door opened by precisely 90 degrees, would either slam shut, or swing fully open, especially as the first round was fired.

So, the modeller has three choices when it comes to an individual door:  to open it fully, leave it closed, or prop it open. 

I did toy with the idea of leaving one door closed, so as to show the pretty decal, but in the end I decided that was a bit vain. Instead, I opened both doors, but one isn't quite fully open as something is hanging over the rear panel, preventing it from doing so. What that something is, I haven't yet decided.

Note that the insides of the doors were sometimes whitewashed so that they blended in when opened.  There's a bit of touching up to do on the doors, the grab handles and the door lock mechanism.

bEVGPI1.jpg

Of course, vanity did not play a part in me deciding to prop this door slightly open!

SqSiNaW.jpg

hW6nppc.jpg

Only 10 more kit parts to add.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 7

21 hours ago, Badder said:

So, the modeller has three choices when it comes to an individual door:  to open it fully, leave it closed, or prop it open. 

I did toy with the idea of leaving one door closed, so as to show the pretty decal, but in the end I decided that was a bit vain. Instead, I opened both doors, but one isn't quite fully open as something is hanging over the rear panel, preventing it from doing so. What that something is, I haven't yet decided.

That dilema sounds familiar, very familiar.  I'll be interested to learn how you resolve it in the end.

• Like 1

Badder  Apologies for the lack of viewership,  but the catching up has been and inspiration.  I can only imagine (OK I really do know) the frustration of having to deal with the "Flying Wallenda of the Pachyderm Cable Part"  > But am gratified your skill in "hunt and fetch" was no match for the grubby little bas....But I regress ( distress, empress, duress--WHAT Ever) You have made a marvels of the work to date.  My unbound admiration  for showin' how to paint Zebras on an Elephant 🤣 truly remarkable the  husbandry involved - most perspiring.

I do like the artistic license (vs real world gravity) of keeping one rear door "ajar" [A jar! How can a door be a jar? if true, what do we put the marmalade in?]🙄😎

Seriously: Good results all around. Looks great all the  best to you.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Prop Duster said:

Badder  Apologies for the lack of viewership,  but the catching up has been and inspiration.  I can only imagine (OK I really do know) the frustration of having to deal with the "Flying Wallenda of the Pachyderm Cable Part"  > But am gratified your skill in "hunt and fetch" was no match for the grubby little bas....But I regress ( distress, empress, duress--WHAT Ever) You have made a marvels of the work to date.  My unbound admiration  for showin' how to paint Zebras on an Elephant 🤣 truly remarkable the  husbandry involved - most perspiring.

I do like the artistic license (vs real world gravity) of keeping one rear door "ajar" [A jar! How can a door be a jar? if true, what do we put the marmalade in?]🙄😎

Seriously: Good results all around. Looks great all the  best to you.

Hi Steve, I'm glad to see you're still on top form - I had worried that you'd exhausted your library of 'funnies' and were having to top up with Abbot and Costello films fed via intravenous drip.

Thanks for your continued interest in my work.  for your support, and for your comedic input. I see you have confused my Nashorn (Rhinoceros) for an Elefant (Elephant) though - maybe the Zebra (Zebra) stripes had the desired effect and disguised its true shape? I am now considering painting my Tiger II (in the next GB) with a Giraffe (Giraffe) camo pattern and my Panther (potentially, in a  future GB) with Salmon spots.

On the health front, I had a few beers last night and went down with what I believe was a food-poisoning type event, resulting in a violent and prolonged bout of gastric evacuation via the oral orifice and a rapid exit to my abode via my good wife's taxi.  Maybe a communal bag of crisps was the culprit there, rather than the beer itself. I have woken feeling surprisingly well though and will crack on with Nassy as soon as.  I can't believe there's only 6 days left!

Rearguards to you and yours,

Badder

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

That dilema sounds familiar, very familiar.  I'll be interested to learn how you resolve it in the end.

Hi Robert.

I wanted the RH door to be not-quite-fully-open, merely to show off the Pommern, divisional and tactical marking decals and a bit of exposed camo.  I had thought to drape a roof tarp over the rear panel, the tarp stopping the banging and clanking of the door against the panel when the gun was fired - the sound of clanking doors must have really annoyed the crew (haha!) But of course, a draped tarp would cover up all those decals anyway!

I will have to have a rethink then.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

My Dear Badder

RE:  my presumed mistaking of your Zebra camouflaged "Pachyderm”,  I (with nose in the air with a restrained haughtiness) respond with the ever   never failing, Inter Net Intelligence that says…     

“         pach·y·derm

/ˈpakəˌdərm/

noun

noun: pachyderm; plural noun: pachyderms

a very large mammal with thick skin, especially an elephant, rhinoceros or hippopotamus.  “

Thus "proving" the Elephant is of the first water and the rhinoceros only second tier.  Also a little known fact is the Reichsminister für Rüstung und Kriegsproduktion (Reich Minister of Armaments and War Production) had a Top Secret small group (streng geheime kleine Gruppe  ) reporting only to him; Every 32nd of the month.   They decided as the ultimate disguise they would fourth with call the Elephant a Rhinoceros and the rhinoceros a Heff-a-lump. Unfortunately the group’s recommendations were printed by a blind printer whose assistant spoke only Eskimo. So when a wind scatted, the pages they became rearranged and the result is, as the world now knows, the Rhinoceros name stuck and the Elephant became another kind of vehicle entirely. Lost to history is the Heff-a-lump. Tisk, tisk

History is so weird;  Ya just can’t make this stuff up.

Glad you’re better.  Also able to get back to the bench.

p.s.The door prop, could be a backpack, flung up there, while rushing to action stations    

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Especially when it drowned out the sound of the gun firing ;)

Indeed.

Let us not forget the WWII German Anti-tank crew ditty:

"Diese verdammten Türen!" (Those damned doors!')

Lyrics translated by Bing (Crosby):

We love the sound of our eighty-eight,

It gives us such a thrill,

But the clanging and clanking of the doors,

Is enough to test our will.

Boom! Clang!

Boom! Clank!

Boom! Clang!

Boom! Clank!

Boom and clang and clank and boom and clang and clank and boom and clank and clang!

We'd give our souls for a rubber door-stop,

Or one of Stalin's balls will do!

• Haha 4

Progress report:

The gun barrel is getting its whitewash reapplied, with some rubbing back, washes to follow. That should be the gun completed, barring some tiny touch-ups such as glossing the lens in the gunner's sight and a coat of matt for everything else.

Meanwhile, I've constructed and painted 4 ammo crates and their lids. These will get decals (If I can find them!) One crate will remain unopened on the compartment floor, the rest discarded out the rear.

Crew Uniforms.

Again, I find myself adverse to blinding white, so I am reluctant to portray the crew in their 'full winter whites'.

Also, as Nassy will be portrayed in a 'thawing snow' diorama, I am contemplating that the crew may already have turned some of their jackets and/or trousers inside out and are now sporting 'water camouflage' in those instances, rather than winter white. With that in mind, I've done a test run on the commander's jacket. The result was fairly good, I thought, but I did kinda rush it and further experiments such as washes and rubbings back have now clouded the effect. I will have another go shortly. I also plan to replace some of their hands as they are much too small, and could be improved with gloves anyway!

Pics later.

TFL

Badder

• Like 1

I finished weathering the rear doors.  A tiny bit of touch-up is needed at the top of the locking mechanism on the RH door.

KWyCxb9.jpg

A higher view-point with a better view of an unopened ammo crate. I may have one of the loaders removing a round from another crate.

YTZV07G.jpg

With the doors weathered, I decided (with some trepidation) to fit 6 of the last 10 parts to Nassy - those 6 parts all being 'tie-downs' that are dotted around the top of the fighting compartment's side panels.

And, dear, oh dear, oh dear!

How I managed not to SOL (Swear Out Loud) is beyond me.

Despite knowing the risks, despite utmost care, and despite several hours of fine-toothed combing, I have been unable to find 2 of the 4 pieces that 'pinged' away - some of them more than once!

I haven't given up though. I am determined to find them.

I did fit 2 without incident, plus the 2 that I found and lost and found again. Nassy now has a full compliment of tie-downs on the driver's side, rear and front, but is missing two on the other side.

So, it's the 2 of these on the opposite side, that haven't been fitted:

O7hgYsy.jpg

And typically, I can see now that one is fixed 'on the wonk', but it's far too fragile to think about repositioning!

BTW, does anyone know why the 2 tie-downs here are set at different levels, whilst on the other side they are level with each other?

And the tie-downs on the frontal armour plates (top L and R of the fighting compartment)

Also a glimpse of the re-whitewashed barrel.

N7IZsej.jpg

Tomorrow the search will continue for the missing tie-downs. In betwixt times, I will be painting the uniforms of the figures.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

• Badder changed the title to PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH. Nearly there!
10 hours ago, Badder said:

2 tie-downs here are set at different levels, whilst on the other side they are level with each other?

Talking out of the back of my head here - could be total b*****ks ....

I'm not sure that 'tie-down' is their design use - I believe tie-down is the design role of the smaller flat tabs running along the top of the armour.

The larger loops that we glue on appear (in my opinion) to be lifting hoops, paired front and side, side and rear.

Why would they be set at different heights?  Not sure, on my bee, they appear roughly the same height ... but, big but, the Hummel may have had taller sides than the Nashorn (implied by my - not entirely convincing - references).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Talking out of the back of my head here - could be total b*****ks ....

I'm not sure that 'tie-down' is their design use - I believe tie-down is the design role of the smaller flat tabs running along the top of the armour.

The larger loops that we glue on appear (in my opinion) to be lifting hoops, paired front and side, side and rear.

Why would they be set at different heights?  Not sure, on my bee, they appear roughly the same height ... but, big but, the Hummel may have had taller sides than the Nashorn (implied by my - not entirely convincing - references).

Hi Robert,

You are quite correct in that the smaller ridges - or 'flat tabs' as you call them - are the actual 'tie-down' hoops ('hoops' for want of a better word) These I have seen with wires criss-crossed between them (from those at the tops of the panels down to 'bodged' attachments made under the overhang of the fighting compartment (ie. directly above the tracks) and these wires were used to attach branches/foliage around the Nashorn. They may have been intended more for tying down a full size roof tarp though.

However, I do not believe that the larger hoops were for lifting the Nashorn.  Firstly, they look to be relatively thin and weak, and their positioning at the tops of the thin side panels only adds to their weaknesses, And secondly, there are two very large lifting lugs at the inside-rear of the fighting compartment and two tucked in at the front of the lower hull, just inboard of the mud flaps (see photos below)

kIztOzk.jpg

GWRHUen.jpg

The larger 'hoops' are fitted either side of panel joints, or near the corners of panels, and are, I believe, handles for lifting the side, rear and front panels and dropping them down and outwards, thus opening up the entire fighting compartment like flower petals - presumably for the easier removal and fitting of the entire gun assembly, or the barrel, during refits. There are definitely hinges at the bottoms of the side panels, and all of the panels are 'joined' by what looks like an undoable 'lap joints'.

Here you can see what seems very much to be a hinge, running along the bottom of the rear panel under the range marker poles:

vzs6VMy.jpg

And here is what is clearly a different type of hinge at the bottom of one of the side panels.:

oI7DnyV.jpg

Also note the joint between the two components of the side panel - the back-to-back scallop-edged joint running top to bottom in the diagram. This is similar to the joint/hinge at the bottom of the rear panel, and is, I think, a semi-permanent joint possibly locked in place with nothing more than a bolt at the top?

Whatever, why the two 'handles' on the driver's side are set at different heights remains a mystery, it seems.

AND NASSY NEEDS A GOOD DUSTING!

Rearguards,

Badder

Progress report.....

I haven't found the two missing 'handles'. Half of my modelling table remains as yet unsearched though, so I haven't given up.

Nassy has received a coat of matt varnish, but got some fluff and hairs stuck on it during the process. I will clean all that off obviously.

And I had another go at the 'water camouflage' this time for the commander's trousers. I made the thin vertical 'water ripples' by dragging a thin strip of PE dipped in ink down his legs.

JmU5fYu.jpg

But I got carried away with the green patches and made them too regular.

Buz30Q0.jpg`

And the camo wasn't much better after a wash and a bit of rubbing back:

hQj2l2a.jpg

Still, I can remove it all and try again.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Badder said:

However, I do not believe that the larger hoops were for lifting the Nashorn.

Clarification, I suspect they are for removing the armour panels during maintaience, not for lifting the whole vehicle.

Lifting the front armour would give an option to lift the gun platform (?) behind the diver, giving access to the engine.

N7IZsej.jpg&key=f124860bc245824b41b0c85f

There are four hooks on the glacis plate/driver's compartment, and another set on the gun platform, two visible either side of the gun in your photo, and (at least on the Hummel) two inside the fighting compartment.  Lifting the gun platform would be easier if the fighting compartment armour was removed first.

As I say, I am guessing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

There are four hooks on the glacis plate/driver's compartment, and another set on the gun platform, two visible either side of the gun in your photo, and (at least on the Hummel) two inside the fighting compartment.  Lifting the gun platform would be easier if the fighting compartment armour was removed first.

As I say, I am guessing.

I've never thought about how they went about replacing the engine. Clearly, they'd have to remove the gun platform, and possibly the glacis as well. Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head. That's what those hooks are for.

Thanks,

Badder

Silly me. They'd need to lift the glacis off to replace the transmission!

Basically then, the Nashorn could have its entire superstructure removed, or in the case of the fighting compartment panels, lowered or removed.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Hi Badder. Hope you are well. Great to see you still making excellent progress. Your close up photos (despite the dust!!) show the quality of your modelling, painting and finish.

Now remember though - there is only about 6 days left so don't try to change your mind about what you are doing with this more than a couple of times - we want to see this in the Gallery well before midnight on Sunday!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Hope you are well. Great to see you still making excellent progress. Your close up photos (despite the dust!!) show the quality of your modelling, painting and finish.

Now remember though - there is only about 6 days left so don't try to change your mind about what you are doing with this more than a couple of times - we want to see this in the Gallery well before midnight on Sunday!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

I'm okay thanks for asking. Hope you and Mrs Stix are too.

Don't worry, Nassy will be 'all done and dusted' in time for the close of play.

Whether the figures (and potentially a vignette) will be, is a different matter!

I'm thinking vignettes/dioramas have almost become compulsory in these AFV GBs!

On the figure front, I think I've 'sussed' the water pattern camo - and that's to forget about the water part! (very thin vertical green wavy lines)

Hopefully they'll be done by mid-week then I can add the final touches to Nassy and at least attempt to 'knock out' a simple base.

But I am glad to read that the close of play is MDT Sunday. For some strange reason I had it in my head that it was MDT Friday!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Badder Just stopped in to stand-er- sit,  in awh and amaze. at both the progress and the consummate skill on display here.  I have no clue as to the purpose of the "tie downs" but if they are there they have a purpose regardless, your application of said tie downs is outstanding (not counting the errant little basss--Kit balls!).  As a side note (F sharp as it happens) the work on your ditty of the clanking door was a priceless addition. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Prop Duster said:

Badder Just stopped in to stand-er- sit,  in awh and amaze. at both the progress and the consummate skill on display here.  I have no clue as to the purpose of the "tie downs" but if they are there they have a purpose regardless, your application of said tie downs is outstanding (not counting the errant little basss--Kit balls!).  As a side note (F sharp as it happens) the work on your ditty of the clanking door was a priceless addition. 

Hi Steve,

Thanks as always, although what progress or consummate skill you're on about I'm not so sure!

But things have progressed 'off thread' - meaning that although I've yet to post photos I have added the last bits and pieces to Nassy barring those two 'lost' handles/tie downs. We've concluded that they are definitely handles for lifting and then lowering the panels, but were/could be used as tie downs for the roof tarp for example. Oh, and there will be a few bits of kit/stowage to add. I have made up and painted the ammo crates as well - which will mostly be scattered on the ground behind Nassy with one or maybe two in the fighting compartment.

My main area of work now is the figures. I've been trying various methods for getting the 'water pattern' camo right (The effort above was a test-run with no intention of being a finished article)  Working out the order in which to apply the three colours has been the hardest thing. It didn't help when the BEST attempt so far was done in the least logical way! I'll try the third of the 'orders' shortly. I think that it will prove the way to do it. Worse case scenario: none are satisfactory - in which case it'll be full white camo!!

Rearguards,

Badder

I have chopped the hands off a few old figures, intending to replace the tiny ones that Nassy's crew are endowed with. Unfortunately none are gloved, but at least they are more to scale.

• Like 2

I had a go at scratching one of the missing handles:

W1GLNMc.jpg

The missing handles had plates welded to their 'legs' and these plates were bolted to the side panels.

I used florist's wire to make the handles and CA'd thin card to the legs. Once the CA was dry I sliced the back of the card off with a scalpel. to thin it down.

Paint will be used to thicken the 'grab' part of the handle.

It's not a perfect copy of the original part, but at that size I think it'll pass inspection.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Looks good Badder, wonder why it didn't show as an image?

Hi Robert,

I nearly always have this issue : I paste the link to the photo, but for some reason it isn't picked up by BM - the link is 'grey' and doesn't work.

Re-pasting it doesn't help either. So I have to submit the post, then edit it and  re-paste the same link. Then the link shows up in black, and it works.

You saw the post while I was editing and repasting so the link still wasn't working at that moment.

Dunno if it's Imgur, my browser, or BM.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1