PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH. FINISHED?PHOTO HEAVY p22

Badder

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

A good job with the cable, I do not know if it is so much, but I also find it hard to put it in its place and it seems as natural as possible.
And the small piece of copper is a very appropriate touch.

Cheers Badder 👍

Hi Francis,

The cable and the gun travel lock are just 'resting' on the model in the photos.

The cable actually fits well, because it's string, not plastic or wire. And the copper wire will be painted. I suspect the real thing was made from thin multi-strand metal cable, but Tamiya don't say.

Rearguards,

Badder

I tried a new mix for mud, made from ash from a coal fire, acrylic medium, some ground-up plastic (Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow) and acrylic inks. I dabbed some on the lower front hull and spare tracks and applied a tiny bit to the rear step and towing bracket at the rear of the vehicle.

I can't say that it was entirely successful, but it wasn't awful:

rvWgtyf.jpgGrit paints, some vegetable matter and a bit of snow will help make the front look better I think.

UvtfblR.jpg

Darkening the mud on the rear step and the towing bracket below it might help.

evaGDZK.jpg

And the observant might have noticed that I've fitted the gun travel lock and towing cable in place and have added a scratch across the gun mantlet.

TDyBQzr.jpg

Xwnr3Dv.jpg

ou1pF9B.jpg

Happenstance, or a clever choice of materials by Tamiya? Once painted, the string used to make the cable length is indiscernible from the kit's plastic cable within the eyelets.

LdDr7y5.jpg

Yes, the lowermost eyelet has a 'hole' in the crimp  that needs filling. It's actually a gap where the string wasn't fully inserted into the groove.

BONUS PICTURES 🙂

M1XfPct.jpg

04MJSCU.jpg

Yet to balance the chipping with that in the photo above.

rJ3zxRI.jpg

The scratch above the radiator grill - a real scratch made with a blunt scalpel blade and given a streaking-over with 'whitewash'.

YcaWbei.jpg

And finally for tonight:

pc44asd.jpg

Next job, the headlamp and driver's viewing hatch.

TFL

Badder

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Looks so real!!     :gobsmacked:

Thanks for the 'gobsmacked' Nigel.

Much appreciated.

I don't think I've had one of those before. 🙂

I have to confess that I am surprised by the realism of the glacis as a whole, in the photos above.  But then, my work always seems to me to look WAY better under magnification than it does actual size!

Hopefully, everyone can see my technique .....I just base-coat, then slap colours on in a particular order, then rub some, or a lot of it off, and if it doesn't look how I want it to, I repeat and repeat until it does!

Honestly though, I think Nassy will be contesting my Sherman for 'my best model ever'. None of the others come close, except for potentially a Willys Jeep which is only built and painted to the 'pre-diorama' stage and has lots of stowage, figures, mud and snow to add!

As for Nassy, there's still a dozen or more small bits and pieces to add before the final matt coat, but I do feel as if I'm getting close to finishing.

Then there's the figures. THAT is a whole other adventure. I am not good at faces!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

• Badder changed the title to PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH.... GUN TRAVEL LOCK, TOW CABLE FITTED
2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Epic, so good

Thanks Glynn,

I'd been putting off attaching the mantlet to the gun whist at the same time ensuring the gun fitted nicely in position between the armour plates, because I knew the issues I had with my previous Nashorn.

And those same issues raised their ugly heads with this one as well.

Report to follow!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I've read many reviews of this kit, and all rate it very good to excellent, with typical 'fall together fit' from Tamiya.

Well, anyone who has read this full thread will know to take that last bit with a pinch of salt.

Part C5 - the large tool box front left of the fighting compartment, SHOULD NOT BE FITTED WHERE TAMIYA WOULD HAVE YOU FIT IT, as there it overlaps the slot into which one of the bracing panels later fits.

The rear panel and side panels do not fit correctly to each other at the corners, and also leave a visible full width gap across the floor behind the long 'chest' at the rear of the fighting compartment. The panels have to be filed/sanded in order to get them to meet correctly at the corners and remove that gap.

And the gun mount assembly isn't perfect either - being a bit a bit flexible in places, it does tend to distort in some vital areas, and this impacts later when other parts such as the mantlet are added. The biggest problem, I knew from experience, was going to be the fitting of the gun mantlet to the gun whilst getting the mantlet and gun to fit nicely in position between the armour plates either side.

So, I've been putting of attaching the mantlet.

If the uppermost struts (fitting the mantlet to the gun mount) are fitted AFTER the mantlet has been glued to the gun mount, (as advised by Tamiya) they prove to be too long and stand proud of the top of the mantlet. This means having to bend them downwards in order to get the ends fitting into their 'locating indents'. Inevitably, this will cause snapping.

If they are fitted to the gun mount before the mantlet is fitted, the same issue arises. However, one could raise the mantlet slightly instead, thus alleviating the problem, but then the mantlet doesn't sit correctly in relation to the armour plates either side.

I did try the first option (as in my previous build) and despite extra, extra care, the struts snapped.  However, once snapped, the parts can meet their location points. It's a case then of repairing and tidying up the snaps - which I have yet to do.

The two struts can be seen below. The snap in the RH one can clearly be seen.

RenM95S.jpg

With all of the issues, it's not surprising that the gun is slightly off centre. But the gun mount has some flex in it, so a bit of packing should nudge the gun into the centre.

J97FATh.jpg

The figures. They aren't brilliant. I have some Hornet heads which I might use if they don't look too big. I may replace the hands as well as the kit ones verge on the tiny side. If I can find gloved hands in my spares, they'll get preference!

ec0tfg5.jpg

yxSCXR8.jpg

TFL

Badder

• Like 8

4 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Totally brilliant observation and execution!

Thanks Mark,

Observation, possibly. As for execution, yes, but a long period of water-boarding and electrodes connected to the nipples beforehand!

Rearguards,

Badder

I spent most of today watching films I've never seen before, but in between times I've tidied up the repaired struts and got them looking reasonable thanks to a bit of chipping. I also weathered the curved armour plate above the gun aperture, added a couple more scratches to the mantlet, and toned down the original, and revisited the gun travel lock and tow cable as I accidentally spilt a few drops of water on them, dissolving some of the chipping and whitewash and leaving a water stain on the glacis. Luckily, fixing this wasn't a major operation, but I did give the area a coat of matt varnish afterwards to protect it properly in future.

The struts were repaired with a coat or two of liquid poly, and a few blobs of ink which were each allowed to set before a gentle rubbing back with a narrow tube of wet 'n' dry.  Burnt Umber ink was then applied as a wash, and for some minor chipping. Then snaps are hardly discernible now, thank goodness.

18fvkSE.jpg

The other side of the struts, washed and chipped, and the same with the plate above the gun Also the new scratch RHS of the mantlet and a toning-down of the two on the LHS.

More importantly, the photo show the centralisation of the gun barrel within the aperture - a small sliver of plasticard wedged down between the gun cradle and the gun mount on the LHS pushed the gun further to the right. Not perfectly central, but a lot better than it was. I shall find a thinner sliver.

HQZMLet.jpg

With the gun done, there remaining kit parts to add, are:

1 aerial.

8 tie down handles,

2 rear doors plus 2 handles,

2 periscopes,

2 MG mounts,

1 wide-angle periscope type binocular thingy.

4 figures.

Ammo crates (number to be assessed)

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Badder said:

With the gun done, there remaining kit parts to add, are:

1 aerial.

8 tie down handles,

2 rear doors plus 2 handles,

2 periscopes,

2 MG mounts,

1 wide-angle periscope type binocular thingy.

4 figures.

Ammo crates (number to be assessed)

Base and diorama?

The gun is better for your plastic shim - perhaps you can scrape a bit of plastic to make a thinner version?

Eiter way, your rhino does look good B.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Base and diorama?

The gun is better for your plastic shim - perhaps you can scrape a bit of plastic to make a thinner version?

Either way, your rhino does look good B.

SHIM! That's the word. Thanks Robert, that was doing my head in!

I can certainly scrape the piece that's in there now. I've not glued it in place.

I won't be building a diorama/base for Nassy in this GB, because there's one already under construction in the WIP section (Pit Stop) I'm intending to use the one diorama as a base for my Sherman from the last (first) AFV STGB and this Nassy. The two will be interchangeable with different figures and other details to accompany each.

But when it comes to the Gallery shots, I may use my ruined farm building and a dusting of snow as a backdrop.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

• Badder changed the title to PACHYDERM PACKS A PUNCH. Finishing off the gun.

Hi Badder. Hope you and yours are well. Just doing my catching up and, as always, I am so very impressed! As Nigel said above - it looks so real! Fantastic modelling! :clap2::thumbsup::clap2::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Hope you and yours are well. Just doing my catching up and, as always, I am so very impressed! As Nigel said above - it looks so real! Fantastic modelling! :clap2::thumbsup::clap2::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

I'm okay thanks Stix, I'm still having pain-attacks but they are settling down.

Thanks for all the clappy thumbs-ups. Always nice to have a bit of animation in a post! But you are too kind.

Your eagle eyes may have spotted a few areas of wear where bare plastic has been exposed on the breech end of the gun This was as a result of rubbing back a bit too much. I will be concentrating on the gun for a day or so, and that'll all be rectified. Hopefully I can do all that whilst retaining the overall look of the thing. Yes, I'm putting off adding the kill rings... I've had a couple of attempts already, but aborted them. I'm just going to have to face up to the fact that I'm going to have to do some really neat mask cutting and some fiddly mask positioning. (probably a piece of cake for most people)

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Like 1

Good little trick with the "wedge" in the gun, it is a pity that we are forced to make these "fixes" with kit that are of quality.
As Ozzy says lucky with the figures, although more than that is the skill you have, and you have already shown good results with that discipline, my big heel of Achilles, and that

I try to do something decent, but...
Without doubt they are very appropriate for this vehicle with so much intrior visible.
Later we'll see it on a base if I'm not mistaken.

I have already had some Dragon figure in my hands and it is true that they are not very good, although for me they are appropriate for practice.
If I'm not mistaken, the best ones are from Alpine, and other brands like Hornet or Mantis, at least the price is much higher ...

Cheers Badder 👍

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:44 PM, FrancisGL said:

Good little trick with the "wedge" in the gun, it is a pity that we are forced to make these "fixes" with kit that are of quality.
As Ozzy says lucky with the figures, although more than that is the skill you have, and you have already shown good results with that discipline, my big heel of Achilles, and that

I try to do something decent, but...
Without doubt they are very appropriate for this vehicle with so much intrior visible.
Later we'll see it on a base if I'm not mistaken.

I have already had some Dragon figure in my hands and it is true that they are not very good, although for me they are appropriate for practice.
If I'm not mistaken, the best ones are from Alpine, and other brands like Hornet or Mantis, at least the price is much higher ...

Cheers Badder 👍

Hi Francis,

All of the issues with this kit have been one's I've known about because I had the exact same issues with my first Tamiya Nashorn. Okay, I forgot about the large tool box blocking a bracing panel later on in the build, but I remembered as soon as I tried to add the bracing panel! Luckily I hadn't used a huge amount of liquid poly, so I was able to lever it off.

The gun causes most issues, but none are what I would call major. At least It was possible to centralize the gun with a 'shim'. Last time I forced the gun into the correct position and CA'd everything in sight to get the same effect.

I will use the kit's figures for this GB, but I hope to find something better in the future. I will have a look at Alpine and Mantis (I've not heard of them before) As for a base, well, IF I have any time left, I MIGHT cobble something together. No promises though`

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I spent a few hours a day this week tidying up the breech end of the gun where some bare plastic had been exposed during rubbing back procedures.

ZgXVoFt.jpg

Ah, I missed a couple of bits!

I also repainted the hydraulic 'pistons' silver/chrome and they've come out looking much, much, better.

0YWEVtz.jpg

And before anyone asks, yes, of course I messed about with the whitewash a bit more! The 'troublesome' side panel is now looking lovely -  although maybe it could do with a bit of green.

iWLI9tj.jpg

FGtkJSh.jpg

I WILL be attempting the kill rings later today/tonight.

If all goes well on that score I will post pics then.

TFL

Badder

• Like 6

Brilliant weathering on the gun and the superstructure. This Nashhorn looks the business 😃

Are the figures you have Zvezda? They look similar to the half track crew I got a while back. 

cheers Greg 

• Like 1

Hi Badder. Great to see more of your amazingly realistic looking photos!! Looking forward to seeing the rings! 🤞

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:32 PM, FrancisGL said:

If you make those rings, they will come in handy, because a vehicle so battered, it is logical that you have them ...

Cheers Badder 👍

Hi Francis,

I've had a few attempts at the rings. My last attempt was the most successful, but still not up to scratch IMHO. I wasn't entirely happy with the rings - the spacings were a bit off, and some of the white rings were too thin compared to the black ones.   But rather than start again I took advantage of having them there.  I thought they looked too clean and bright, so rubbed them back a bit and put a very worn whitewash over the top. That looked much better. So when I next try (later today) I will set out for 'worn' rings.

Rearguards,

Badder

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:13 AM, GREG DESTEC said:

Brilliant weathering on the gun and the superstructure. This Nashhorn looks the business 😃

Are the figures you have Zvezda? They look similar to the half track crew I got a while back. 

cheers Greg 

Hi Greg,

Thanks. The figures are Tamiya's (come with the kit) I have seen other manufacturers with very similar 'copies' or maybe produced under licence from Tamiya?

Rearguards,

Badder

23 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Great to see more of your amazingly realistic looking photos!! Looking forward to seeing the rings! 🤞

Kind regards,

Stix

Final attempt at the rings today Stix! I know they should be easy, but my fingers just aren't very good at cutting and manipulating thin strips of tape!

If I get them done to my liking I will be finishing off the build today and starting on the figures proper.

Rearguards,

Badder

Well, not the neatest of kill rings ever.... but then weren't some hand painted in real life? Maybe the painter of these had some kind of nerve damage/dexterity problem? Or he was shivering.

MGHCGet.jpg

vuXWcN8.jpg

O17YC5u.jpg

It's probably the best I can do TBH, but I will be disguising how bad they are.

Yes, previous attempts involved a fair bit of handling and paint wore off the barrel, hence the respray with dunkelgelb.

Camo, whitewash, rubbing back, streaking and washes will have the gun assembly finished by end of play tonight.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4