333 Squadron Mosquito * FINISHED *

On 1/22/2019 at 7:34 PM, Collin said:

I'll be waiting overhead for you to finish and join me for a raid.  Nice looking build.

DSCN6852.jpg

DSCN6869.jpg

Hey Collin can I ask - the colour palette looks awesome - did you use Dark Sea Gray (tamiya xf-54) for the upper surfaces?

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Hey Collin can I ask - the colour palette looks awesome - did you use Dark Sea Gray (tamiya xf-54) for the upper surfaces?

I think so.  I built this about 3-4 or so years ago, so my memory on what I used has faded. I probably used whatever was the recommended color that this squadron used...of course weatherd a bit due to the enviroment they flew in.  sorry I can't be more help. 

Here is a link to the finished build post, maybe this will help since there are better photos of the topside: 

Cheers

Collin

• Like 1

Thanks guys 🙏 

canopy is now back on again after the IP top and HUD are now in and painted.

canopy came off nicely, the crystal clear glue gave way easily with a clean break thankfully.

so onwards...

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3

Good evening all.

So the canopy is sewn up again and i’ve been working hard on trying to clean up pva glue marks around it and cleaning up everything as a whole on the aircraft. It’s really difficult - it looks silky smooth - but then i photograph it up macro close and it looks awful! Every spec is magnified. So then i have to redo it 🤨 - so i’ve been continually sanding and priming. But now i’m ok with how it all looks with my skills i can’t get it any better so it’ll pass (... actually the real reason is i’m tired of it). 

31932576787_71d401b224_b.jpg
45959432435_50183b3808_b.jpg

So after this marathon and a last prime, i’ve been preshading.
I used the opportunity to test my new badboy airbrush 😎
I figured preshading is the perfect time to try it out and wow its really a better feel to my previous £9.99 amazon bargain basement special. 

31932576137_8274148d7c_b.jpg

The preshading is a bit speckled here and there while experimenting with air pressure, paint viscosity and locking the trigger travel.

I also preshaded the gear doors, painted the spinners medium sea gray (like mozzy hr116 - they look warm coloured in the photo but in the flesh its neutral), gave the props another black coat, and painted the external tanks (but they need more sanding/cleaning of course 🤪)

46821875072_e277316738_b.jpg
39909050513_17155dd39b_b.jpg

31932576357_45d8fa4bc1_b.jpg45959433605_d6d774b53e_b.jpg

45959433335_0068e311e5_b.jpg

So things are progressing ok - no more major cock ups so far

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 6

On 14/01/2019 at 12:01, Christer A said:

Spilled primer and thumbprints are a must for every model, or so I like to tell myself 😇

And if you are really good, you can get the thumbprint across a transparency...  :wall: 

• Haha 3

Given the hard life these aircraft had and the weather conditions they were subject to during it I'd not spend too much time and effort getting a perfect paintjob as it'll look better with plenty weathering ;)

• Like 1

Coming along quite nicely!!! :thumbsup:

On 1/22/2019 at 2:09 PM, Dansk said:

So this evening i finished up the interior by installing the gee radio navigation units and livening them up a bit with wiring. Its been really fun using the different thickness brass wires to do this - a real learning experience. I used a sharpie again for the silver wiring. 

One thing to try on a future build is solder. Very pliable and already a usable color. UMM-USA sells lead wire in round and rectangular shapes and multiple sizes but I would think a local electronics store would be more convenient for you...

Edited by dnl42

32 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Coming along quite nicely!!! :thumbsup:

One thing to try on a future build is solder. Very pliable and already a usable color. UMM-USA sells lead wire in round and rectangular shapes and multiple sizes but I would think a local electronics store would be more convenient for you...

I’ll try that thanks - the copper wire was a little too ‘springy’ to work with

Edited by Dansk

Run the copper wire (and brass rod too) slowly through a candle flame to remove the 'spring'. A few tries should give you an idea for how long you need to hold it in there.

Just umm... don't do it with bare fingers. :D

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Run the copper wire (and brass rod too) slowly through a candle flame to remove the 'spring'. A few tries should give you an idea for how long you need to hold it in there.

Just umm... don't do it with bare fingers. :D

Brilliant tip Rob, great idea thanks. I will definately try this on my next build.

• Like 1

Tonight i tuned and brought the pre-shading back a bit, in retrospect i thought yesterdays work was a little bombastic. I think together with weathering further down the line - the two together would have got way too heavy i think.
I also sprayed a lighter white/light gray hue (a touch lighter than the primer) in the centre of the large panels to bleach them out a touch there.
So i think the upper surfaces are ready for paint. 

39922276193_8d71e9f8ba_b.jpg

The underside i have painted in tamiya xk-21 sky.
It’s extremely difficult to capture the hue correctly on my phone camera but hopefully you can get an impression. I also got the wing tanks sanded and primed (not photographed here). 

46835171272_33acb181ec_b.jpg

46835171292_4b84564fe9_b.jpg

39922275943_ed861a6a9d_b.jpg

39922276223_8d71e9f8ba_b.jpg

This is the best bit - paint and weathering is top fun. I love it. 🤗😁

• Like 8

Great work Paul, keep it up.

I have this kit in the stash, which will need to be converted to a MkXIII so I am following to get hints and tips..

Before you go much further should you attached the wing tip Nav. lights in case they need some blending into the wing surface?  You don't want to damage the wing finish around them.  I think I would fit them and mask them off before going much further..

Edited by Grey Beema

2 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Great work Paul, keep it up.

I have this kit in the stash, which will need to be converted to a MkXIII so I am following to get hints and tips..

Before you go much further should you attached the wing tip Nav. lights in case they need some blending into the wing surface?  You don't want to damage the wing finish around them.  I think I would fit them and mask them off before going much further..

Thanks for the advice @Grey Beema I’ll do that 👍😉

5 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

That is looking nice Paul.

How are you getting along with your new airbrush?  I ask because I bought the same model just before Christmas.

Thanks Robert. I’m obviously no expert -and It takes a bit of getting used to but compared to the old one it feels ‘silky smooth’ i think is the best way of describing it. Feels really nice to use and has more control. 

• Like 1

Hey @Grey Beema I’ve painted the nav lights (hard to photograph) and cleaned them a touch and dry fitting they seem to be perfect now (this kit is great with fitting) so i think with my dodgy modelling skills and kak handedness i will find it a little easier to stick them on with a dab of crystal clear last (so i dont knock them off before) 🙄

39931922123_a17c31ece2_b.jpg

39931921933_3dce8ef391_b.jpg

33021481888_d2f87c2c37_b.jpg

• Like 6

And another update I’m steaming along these days:

Looking at the reference shots e.g...

39931922233_b6d03597dd_b.jpg

... it seems mostly that the demarkation between upper and lower camo colours is a little softer on the fuselage but harder where it’s on the engine cowling panel line on most aircraft. So i have used tamiya tape on the cowls and worms of this stuff on the fuselage...

31955499657_fc9d9d3ab4_c.jpg

...A.k.a. White tak.

31955500177_9b7e482ee5_c.jpg

31955500147_5b50c78046_c.jpg

31955500087_c4a72644a0_c.jpg

Now ready for the dark/extra dark sea gray

Note the tanks are painted installed and masked also.

The upper fore section of the tanks is to be painted DSG also according to refs

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, Col. said:

Masking the paintwork with "Elefant Snot" :lol: That's not something I expected to read today!

it's a great product name isn't it Col.? 😁

OK

And my last update from a busy weekend on this little aeroplane -

Top half is all painted.
as i lost most of the pre-shading despite using heavily thinned paint, i tried to recreate it by post-shading it by adding a touch of black to the original grey. (Maybe i should have kept the pre-shading as dark as it was originally)

Theres a few bits and bobs here and there to touch up tomorrow night - then after that I’ll try and get time to seal it with a coat of gloss.

The props are just a dry fit because i couldn’t resist 😋
I think it's really starting to come together now.
This bit is so much fun i love it. :)

45983901565_10c7ec9721_c.jpg

46898555351_beca532735_c.jpg

45983900125_ba08f1e753_c.jpg

45983900055_cd18ee8a75_c.jpg

45983901445_ccde9b903a_c.jpg

33023100058_4084bb1e9c_c.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, zebra said:

Your Mossie is looking very nice indeed Paul. I have two of these in the stash, starting to get tempted to dig them out.

Thanks! Its a great kit - generallly everything seems to fit together really nicely.