333 Squadron Mosquito * FINISHED *

- and now the little wooden (plastic) plane is in a coat of AK primer after some filling and sanding.

I still have a little more to re-do though. 

46692845561_45152b7379_b.jpg

46692843901_803761c73e_b.jpg

they really do get dirty these things  - might be fun to go this dirty on it - let's see.

46692840031_f9e46bbea4_b.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Dansk said:

they really do get dirty these things  - might be fun to go this dirty on it - let's see.

46692840031_f9e46bbea4_b.jpg

That's a VERY interesting study in weathering!

You can't have much to do after the priming? It looks nice and smoothe to me :)

BTW, why are you attaching the spinners now? Is it to ensure that they get painted the same as the rest of the fuselage?

12 hours ago, Christer A said:

That's a VERY interesting study in weathering!

You can't have much to do after the priming? It looks nice and smoothe to me :)

BTW, why are you attaching the spinners now? Is it to ensure that they get painted the same as the rest of the fuselage?

I just attached the spinners with white-tack temporarily Christer -  it just seemed easy to prime them with the aircraft like that

• Like 2

I noticed that some versions of the lancaster also used the gee navigation system.

so i have opted to get an eduard set containing the facia of it - the other mosquito unit i will give another go at scratching.

The perforated side panels can also be used from the lanc set.

This is I can’t be bothered waiting for aveology to release their mosquito gee set.

I think the canopy will sit better all sealed up with crystal clear and painted like that rather than keeping it just tacked until the release. 

450DD6C4-DFF9-4B3B-B6B4-4328A1DAB032

IMG_2484

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That looks suspiciously like someone hasn't p0roperly sanded down the fuselage joint line...  :fool:  

The bomb bay doors don’t look like they’re a good fit from a good kit either 😄

• Haha 2

Pleased about that.  One would hope that one could cover up a multitude of sins by following a photo like that.   Sadly, it's not so..   :fraidnot:

Quite a few years ago I was building a Fowler 4F locomotive from a brass kit.  I had a photo I was trying to replicate.   The cab was obviously erected on a Friday afternoon after the workshop crew had been down the pub over dinnertime.  It looked like it had been erected by a drunken baboon with its head in a bag!  So, thinking that the resulting model would look hyper-realistic,  I followed the photo carefully.  Sadly, the realism didn't appear.  The wonky cab just looked like poor modelling skills. :(  So I desoldered the cab and rebuilt it using a set square.  :)  

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Pleased about that.  One would hope that one could cover up a multitude of sins by following a photo like that.   Sadly, it's not so..   :fraidnot:

Quite a few years ago I was building a Fowler 4F locomotive from a brass kit.  I had a photo I was trying to replicate.   The cab was obviously erected on a Friday afternoon after the workshop crew had been down the pub over dinnertime.  It looked like it had been erected by a drunken baboon with its head in a bag!  So, thinking that the resulting model would look hyper-realistic,  I followed the photo carefully.  Sadly, the realism didn't appear.  The wonky cab just looked like poor modelling skills. :(  So I desoldered the cab and rebuilt it using a set square.  :)  

I was thinking i was gonna paint the nose like a genuine repaired nose here

840BDEA0-3893-49BF-A6EB-60F3C8F4E377

- but i’m thinking it might look like stevie wonder made the model if i do that :)

• Like 3

Not very exciting progress to report on my build here i’m afraid if anyone’s following:

I have been trying to get my join lines and errors perfect but i’m so bad at it. 😖

but it’s getting there step by step with sanding and filling and experimenting.

32857016998_935e2fdfd8_b.jpg

I have been attempting to elliminate the underwing tamiya tabs that hold the spars in place so that’s coming along.

46732053281_c011cf5309_b.jpg

And ‘finessing’ the fuselage join among other things.

Only after getting the fuselage join half decent did i realise the clear part should be made invisible as it’s only used on the PR variant. :headbang:

@Christer A watch out for this - but you're probably a lot sharper than me anyway.

So that means a whole load more ‘finessing’ to do that - am starting on that...

32857019158_e0e58c0656_b.jpg

46679290032_1447868104_b.jpg

I also spilt a load of primer on the port wing upper surface from my uncapped airbrush and also got a fingerprint in that so i need to fix that next! :headbang:

45816467725_1b561f5155_b.jpg

But all in all its coming together and am sort of enjoying the boring bit. :smile:

My little work-station this evening with a starfighter on the sidelines:

45816469435_0e05a37933_b.jpg

Thanks for watching

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 7

A short update on my mosquito.

I have been sanding and filling the fuselage join further and attempting to remove evidence of the tabs that secure the wing spars on the wing undersides and the recon window on the fuselage bottom. I still have more to do in some other areas of the aircraft.

32956416268_f43745ef71_h.jpg

31890525417_9b980f9c60_h.jpg

46779793412_5277219dc7_h.jpg

I am using some lancaster 1:48 cockpit PE to recreate the Gee navigation system.
This is in progress. I invested in some copper wire and photo etch pliers to help create that gee stuff incl. cables. 

46832031581_ece7a92774_z.jpg

46779794642_7b2965a051_b.jpg

My home-made receiver has vent holes in the top - the real one has them in the sides. Let’s call mine ‘a one-off prototype’ :D

46106758224_cdb45da9a4_h.jpg

46106759194_c2528df1b2_h.jpg

46779794722_2d2539e567_z.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4

Ah, the dreaded sand, prime, check, fill, repeat-phase!

I'm almost looking forward to it.

You're doing great work on the radio sets!

Fun fact, when commuting to work with Öresundståg, I almost always end up in seat 333 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Christer A said:

Ah, the dreaded sand, prime, check, fill, repeat-phase!

I'm almost looking forward to it.

You're doing great work on the radio sets!

Fun fact, when commuting to work with Öresundståg, I almost always end up in seat 333 🙂

Thanks Christer. Yeah sanding is a pain in the proverbial. Funny with the Øresund train :)

I’ve just coming to some sort of finish on the gee units. Next installation and wiring. (...am putting off doing more filling) :)

31897125047_54bbe50800_b.jpg

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Collin said:

I'll be waiting overhead for you to finish and join me for a raid.  Nice looking build.

DSCN6852.jpg

DSCN6869.jpg

Thanks collin, if i get anything even half as good as that i’ll be over the moon.

So this evening i finished up the interior by installing the gee radio navigation units and livening them up a bit with wiring. Its been really fun using the different thickness brass wires to do this - a real learning experience. I used a sharpie again for the silver wiring. 

32967558788_d1bb8d5d6a_b.jpg

The gee units can be black or gray facias so i went for black (its easier). I think the end result is fine IRL so I’m happy. Its as close as the ref as i think i can manage with my skills right now. But it’s been a blast making something that doesnt come with the kit - really fun!!

31901827027_85b5c47a11_b.jpg

45928671425_38e3cbfdc1_b.jpg

45928671275_39d629aceb_b.jpg

32967557988_cbef87a9cb_b.jpg

Ok so it’s closed up and looking like a mosquito now. Yes!
...onwards with sanding and prepping and to paint...

32967558298_7cb75cfe07_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 8

Sure is looking like a Mosquito, and a fine one at that.

I will admit this American just happens to think the gang across the pond built the best aircraft of WWII....the Mosquito. 

Cheers

Collin

PS: shhhhh....don’t tell anyone, I’m supposed to love P-51’s and P-47’s, I’m American you know. 

• Like 6

Thanks chaps but i just realised i made a big goof! 

In my haste to move on and seal the canopy i forgot to paint the top of the IP black and install the HUD.

oh no the canopy has to come off - Arrgghh 😨

• Sad 2