Hurricane Mk 2c Mister Craft 1:72 any good?

Hairtrigger

Interested in opinions of this kit folks?

I'm not looking to do any involved modelling to improve its accuracy, but appreciate the Hurricane expert's opinion on this kit, as far as accuracy and what can be done with it if one really put their heart into it..

I was pondering doing it as a nightfighter, I think I have some resin exhausts somewhere and decal set, but decals I think are for a MK1 version  nightfighter  - must locate and check.

Looking at the decals supplied they don't look particularly good ...  Gives three versions 

The mouldings and detail don't look too bad and very little flash.

Thoughts gratefully received ..

My experience of Mister Craft decals wasn't pleasant. Most of them broke up when I tried to get them off the backing paper. 

The kit I bought, while acceptably cheap, was an old Heller mould. It wasn't bad, but dated from the 1960s. I wouldn't seek another Mister Craft kit by choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mastercraft (also known as Mistercraft and Mister Craft) is more toy than real model company, they box and sale old kits (mostly Central European but eg. Heller too) or imperfect copies of better kits of other manufacturers. Rather low quality.

• Thanks 1

This will be the 1970s Heller kit. It was considered pretty good in its day but I'm pretty sure it has the shape error common to most Hurricane kits until relatively recently: a nose that tapers too sharply in plan view, making it too narrow to accommodate the engine. If so, it can be fixed by inserting a plastic card shim between the fuselage halves at the nose (in the upper joint only).

Incidentally, I realised recently that the Airfix Hart/Demon has the very same issue.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AWFK10 said:

This will be the 1970s Heller kit. It was considered pretty good in its day but I'm pretty sure it has the shape error common to most Hurricane kits until relatively recently: a nose that tapers too sharply in plan view, making it too narrow to accommodate the engine. If so, it can be fixed by inserting a plastic card shim between the fuselage halves at the nose (in the upper joint only).

Incidentally, I realised recently that the Airfix Hart/Demon has the very same issue.

The wing and tailplane shape was off slightly too. Didn’t stop me building a raft of them in the early 90s

• Thanks 1