Revell Airbrush Set with Compressor

Pensioner79

I recently was given a (not new) Revell Airbrush Set with Compressor in pieces. Is there some clever person out there who can advise me on how to set it up.

I think I have assembled it correctly. However

How do I know when the needle is in the correct position.

When I use it the fuel bubbles out of the funnel,

It appears to work for a while then blocks up (mixture of paint and Mix too thick.

Thanks to anybody who can help.

Merry Christmas

Do you have an instruction manual for the thing? The only one that I can find online is in German. At least there's a diagram in it, which we can refer to as needed.

https://manualsbrain.com/en/manuals/738200/?page=2

To work through your questions:

Assuming that the whole shebang is clean of dried paint... with no pressure on the trigger, undo the small knurled nut at the rear of the needle housing (part 14 in the diagram), then GENTLY push the needle in until it seats- I stress GENTLY, too much pressure will stretch the nozzle and make the thing useless. Do up the nut finger tight. That's the correct location. If it's not clean, it will need to be cleaned.

Bubbles in the paint cup are caused by the needle not sealing, either because there's a bit of dried paint in there stopping it or because it's not pushed in far enough. Or, rarely, because of worn seals, but that usually means that the airbrush has been used a lot. Try adjusting the needle as above.

Not knowing what type of paint you're using (acrylics or enamels), I can only suggest thinning the paint more. The 'general rule' is to make it about as runny as skim milk. Given the limited nature of the small compressor in this set, I'd suggest that that's a pretty good place to start.

Part 17 in the diagram would seem to be an O-ring seal for the air hose. However unless there's a major air leak there, you can probably manage without it. Part 4 in the diagram is also an O-ring. Part 6 is the only other seal in there, and it's pretty well impossible to get to without doing some very deliberate disassembly.

Here's a YouTube video showing you around it (sadly, it's in German, although you can turn on subtitles and auto-translate. Which works, sort-of.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAwTpMAm0mE

and here's another, also in German, showing it in action later in the video (from about 12:00 mins on). Judging by the results shown here and in other similar videos that I watched, you can't expect too much from the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU3-1LPRLtg

HTH. Ask again if there's more advice needed.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the advice. I don't know if you have the "instruction" sheet that came with the kit,

There is a diagram that shows the dis-assembled airbrush. It shows a washer (seal) between the nozzle and the body. Not sure what this is,

When I view the assembled airbrush there is a gap between the Part (2) that covers the Nozzle and screws onto the body of the airbrush and the airbrush body itself. This may cause the air st escape causing the bubbling in the funnel.

In spite of t this all seems to be OK. I think that I fave cracked the viscosity problem I had.

If required, can I purchase the washer and what is its part number.

Regards

I just opened one of these from my wife and kids for Christmas. Before I open it and scan in the instructions, can someone tell me if it's any good? I've read bad reports on budget airbrushes and it's still sealed, so I could ask her if I can take it back and buy a more professional set-up. On the other hand, if it'll get me started and give me useful experience, the politically correct option would be to use it for a few years and "grow out of it" and get a better one once I've found out how useful it is. If it's just going to frustrate me and put me off airbrushing for life, I'd rather come clean while she feels I was more generous than  she was 🙂

• 1 month later...

I've now used mine a few times. The first time I tried to clean it the trigger fell out and it took me over an hour of searching on You Tube and fiddling with it to get it reassembled. I've had some success with it and now bought a cleaning set for it. I'm suffering from exactly the same bubbling in the paint cup that you describe. I've never managed to separate the two sections of the front cap - could there be a blockage in there or am I being too cautious when pushing in the needle? Working out if there's paint in the nozzle is tricky - it seems to be just metal so I could probably soak it overnight in Revell airbrush cleaner (which I suspect is just IPA) and then use the cleaning brushes and wires on it.

Any advice would be welcome.

Hi Cimpion,

Fitting the trigger is a bit if a problem but you get used to it and it becomes easier. 

Cleaning is very important. To clean where the nozzle is attached, I use a little brush (TePe yellow and pink)) designed to clean between my teeth.

Always clean the needle very carefully.

I am not very confident using Humbrol or Revell acrylic paints as the need to be mixed with a thinner.

I would recommend using Vallejo acrylic pains as they can be used from a newly opened bottle.

Cant advise regarding enamel paints as I only use acrylic.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

After another major attempt at cleaning all parts, and finally managing to separate the two halves of the cup, the problem persisted. More searching on You Tube finally solved it.  I had been hand-tightening the cap after seeing a recommendation that this was sufficient. It isn't - tightening the cap further with the spanner provided has curedthe problem.

• 3 months later...

I have one of these sets and had the problem you described in your first post.

My issue turned out to be the well, tip I suppose you would call it (the part that the very tip of the needle goes through - sits underneath the cap) had basically fallen out.  FOr some reason it's not threaded like other Airbrushes so I superglued (carefully!) it back into place.

As also said above a blockage could cause "blow back" into the bowl.