Load options for Scammell Pioneer tractor & trailer

Sandbox

I have in my stash the Thunder Model Scammall Pioneer tractor and trailer, 1/35 scale.  My current load options in my stash are: Comet cruiser tank and Firefly Ic tank.  Are either of these suitable load options for the Scammall?

@ 32.5 & 35 tons both types were over the units rated weight of 30 ton though having said that I'm certain that there are pics of them carrying Shermans (31 ton) in the desert campaign.

Unlikely but not impossible - especially if the tank was battle damaged & say shorn of it's tracks.

There's at least one shot of a REME Workshop Scammell Transporter carrying a rather 'used'-looking Sherman Firefly (facing rearwards on the trailer) in NW Europe.  (Page 30 of the Concord Publications book 'British Tanks of WWII (1) France and belgium 1944)').

Photo shows the left side of the tank - front sprocket and bogie missing, no track in place but with a section of track coiled up on the engine deck.

Regards,

John

Edited by John Tapsell

According to a load table in  the " Data book of Wheeled Vehicles " the Scammell 30 ton Tank Transporter could carry the Grant , Lee , Sherman , Matilda , Cromwell , Valentine , Crusader , Covenanter and Stuart  tanks , but not the Churchill .

Andrew

3 hours ago, Sandbox said:

My current load options in my stash are: Comet cruiser tank and Firefly Ic tank.

This may give you some idea...……………...I suspect the crew are playing for the camera, but, I could be wrong...……………………..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rayprit said:

This may give you some idea...……………...I suspect the crew are playing for the camera, but, I could be wrong...……………………..

It does look like a set up. The unflinching cameraman being a big clue. But I imagine it was more of a re-enactment. Getting shot at while recovering stricken tanks was par for the course for recovery teams.

8 minutes ago, noelh said:

But I imagine it was more of a re-enactment. Getting shot at while recovering stricken tanks was par for the course for recovery teams.

The exact same conclusion that I drew Noel...…………..good luck with your build