Pz.Sfl.IVb 10,5cm le.FH. 18/1 Sd.Kfz.165/1 Ausf. A

Redcoat2966

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Good lord, 👀the jack has got more parts than stix's whole kit 😜

For goodness sakes - don't tell him that!!  We want to him to build it!! 

But yeah...........probably twice as many! 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

AFTERNOON ALL......I hope we are all well and ready for the holiday's........

Just thought I'd show you this.....me think's these PE companies really are taking it a little too far.......:think:.......let me see....we will replace a well moulded Dragon jack with 5 parts for a PE version with.....wait for it.....26:yikes:

TGVwCqF.jpg

And yet, did'nt think giving you the struts that hold the running boards on which would have been better in scale than the moulded ones Dragon supply.......you know I really think they should start to get some feedback on their PE set's.........and put in what will make a difference. I'll see how this goes together....but I think the Dragon jack might do just as well with some PE clamps holding it down.......

Later chaps

Simon.

And that is in a very big part why I shy away from PE but then again with the skill that you have I am very sure that you will pull it together without any problems. 

Regards:

Shaun 

On 12/20/2018 at 1:51 PM, fatfingers said:

Aye up Simon,

That etch jack is just insane! :blink:

Regards 

Steve 

Hi Steve, yes mate.......making me too......not something Id choose to do again. They haven't really given it much thought in how it goes together. And the way they have chosen too, does rely on absolute accuracy on their part in how the parts fit.....:hypnotised:

Cheers

Simon.

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2018 at 3:12 PM, PlaStix said:

:wow:That is going to be one awsome jack!! I agree - it is a bit :yikes:

Good luck!!! Looking forward to seeing it assembled!

Kind regards,

Stix

On 12/21/2018 at 6:07 AM, the South African said:

And that is in a very big part why I shy away from PE but then again with the skill that you have I am very sure that you will pull it together without any problems. 

Regards:

Shaun 

16 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

As the other comrades have said, the jack is all a work of craftsmanship, but it would drive more than one crazy (I the first,, lol). I wonder if once mounted, you will appreciate the hard work done ...:popcorn:

Cheers Simon :santa:

Morning gents....sorry for the delay in replying......not the best time of year for me......I think the older I get the more tedious and tired I am of it......anyway, enough of old Humbug"...

Hi Stix.....me too ( possibly a nice PE set I thought)....but I think nearly 4 hours and not happy with it..(and still not finished)..I ended up, storming off with my ball and not wanting to play anymore...:swear:

......and Shaun. I love doing the PE, because it is a challenge and it does IMO anyway, enhance sharpness of detail in places and items that you don't know is there until it's added; but I think this jack was way, way over the top. It looks more in scale......but......in stacking the parts, you can never really loose the stacked look, even when painted.......so PART & Co not climbing high in the PE supplier ratings at present for me anyway.....I mean, they IMO provide PE parts you can't really see, yet don't provide the running board supports....which are in full view......:whistle:

In compared to the Dragon jack with the kit, I would say yes Francis......but it needed to be designed better for it to be completely be worth it. If I ever have another, I have now developed a much better way of stacking PE parts to make a whole.....I might pop this one apart again and try once more.....if it doesn't work out - I still have the slightly smaller Dragon jack.........:coolio:

Rating for PART photo etched set's for me is about a 5/10.....they need to do more research in practical application etc.....and really what parts would enhance, and not just drive the modeller to drink.......

Cheers chap's....chat later....

• Like 2

Hi Simon. Sorry it's not been a good experience. It is a shame because, if it had been well designed, it could have looked really excellent. I do sometimes wonder if the makers of PE sets (and in fact some kits) ever try assembling the various parts.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Afternoon all........switched back to this tough nut....

Had a few hours today to get back into the swamp of detail from the PART photo etch set I got for it from Poland. Can't say I'd go with them again (especially when you consider the ridiculous jack and the amount of parts..:wtf:), but it's not bad overall. Tye fire extinguisher was a nice method to build compared to some. Here's a running board I completed....switching to right side next.

m2jc5pC.jpg

nSZ8njT.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 3

All that looks beautiful ...

... rather you than me, building that though - I'd be goggle eye'd by now

12 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Is there a way to switch this into work in progress and out of the group build as it has finished now

Ask @Enzo Matrix ... he can help.

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

All that looks beautiful ...

... rather you than me, building that though - I'd be goggle eye'd by now

Ask @Enzo Matrix ... he can help.

Thanks Robert..:yes:...an all day affair to get it this running board done.....:worry:. I'm going to have to get some help on magnification. My magnifying lamp isn't cutting it as good now. Might need to get some magnifier glass's.......:think:

And it seems someone is going to flip it into the work in progress section for me......

Thanks again

Simon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

And it seems someone is going to flip it into the work in progress section for me......

that would be me!  :) 

Edit:   or maybe not!   I wondered why I the forum was greyed out.  Now I know.  the thread is already in there!  :lol:   Thanks to whoever moved it. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all....hope the weekend went well. Got some time in after a few chores today. Slowly getting to priming stage. It's going to be one of those paint jobs that requires keep a large majority loose fitted and painted separately to build prior to weathering stage. Both running boards finished, all but the jack which needs it clamps. The radio set up also painting off vehicle and adding at the final build stage. Exhaust, gun sights and binocular sight also added after painting. The Magic tracks on this Dragon kit were great and managed in a very short time to get one side done.

I have to say at this stage choosing a PART PE set again is not likely. Quite a few errors in size when replacing kit part like the smoke discharging unit at the rear. That will need some refining to sit straight. And to be honest, they concentrated on way too much stuff that was unnecessary and never seen. The jack being the most ridiculous. The Dragon kit jack with PE enhancements would have been far preferable. 

Anyway, here's where she sits.....maybe chat agin soon. 

Cheers

XnVX3vy.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

as always stunning build.... a very interesting subject as well

Thanks Rob, appreciate that mate....and yeah, a funny looking thing really. It's dimensions give it an air of those Toon Tank things.

:yes:

• 1 month later...

Morning all.....:smile:

Just a quick update on this ongoing project.......decided on an experiment in tinted primer. Ultimate grey with Vallejo transparent blue......maybe 85 to 15.

I did some research on Panzer colours when this one was tested and used and it seems the"bright" Panzer blue is a bit of a misnomer. (I do think though some "vibrance" to the main colour is needed, hence the blue tinted primer).............but in fact, the colour up to the use of Dunkel Gelb was a near black Prussian blue. Very little it seem's blue visible as is seen on some early Panzer models.

So.......I'm going to make use of this base primer "blue" and use 989 Dark Sea Blue by Vallejo. I still have to do some highlights with the blue tinted primer.......not sure how this will work out.....:worry:....once more unto the breach......

U5eLHob.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Evening all.

Even though a lot of distractions and a bit of a lull in enthusiasm......:weep:, I still managed a bit of time here and there on a few on going projects.

Here's an update on this one. Managed to get what I feel is a close rendition of the Panzer Grey. Anyway, off to take some pics on other projects.

0Dc0LDP.jpg

QlOoHtr.jpg

• Like 2