Pz.Sfl.IVb 10,5cm le.FH. 18/1 Sd.Kfz.165/1 Ausf. A

Redcoat2966

Jn8zlWQ.jpg

Afternoon all....well, finally got the time to sit down and set up the build log. This is to be the contribution to the GB. 

Only two test units being built in reality, and a further ten for test purposes on the Eastern Front. Once under test, it was realised that the 105mm howitzer could easily fit on the obsolete Panzer II chassis, becoming the Wespe; so the proposed further 200 were cancelled as the Panzer IV chassis's were needed to supply combat Panzer IV's due to urgent need on the Eastern Front from the losses of 1941 and early '42. 

All ten production vehicles served with the Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 16, attached to the 16.Panzer-Division on the Eastern Front. The Division was held in reserve during the Balkan Campaign, but took part in the invasion of the Soviet Union, Operation Barbarossa, in June 1941. It was used in the southern sector of the Front, advancing to Stalingrad via Lvov, Pervomaisk, Zaporozhe, Taganrog, Makeevka and Artemorsk. The 10.5cm leFH 18/1 (Sf) auf Geschutzwagen IVb joined the rest of 16.Panzer-Division in late December early January. The regiment was destroyed in early 1943 in the Stalingrad pocket.

Overall it'll be a clean build and apart from mud and dust, not too much wear and tear as is seen on the AFV's of this front. I have developed a build plan and schedule to efficiently build, and try and have the most time for the painting sequence, as I intend to use a new product for the making of mud. I'll need to spend some time practicing that first.           The hardest part will be the PE phase.....lot's of tool clamps.....:worry:

I have prepped as much as I can as I have a feeling the Christmas fortnight will be a zero build time as I have to pack away the bench as it's in the spare room,(family visiting...:swear:)

All my part spru's are washed and ready to go, just filling the time trying to confirm some Dragon Model issue's as regards the reality of the interior ammo storage; which I think they have wrong. I discovered a pic of Voyager Model upgrade with an additional ammo locker, not specified in the Dragon build instruction sheet -even though supplied. Plus to complicate things, a photo has popped up with the ammo cabinets at an angle in the fighting compartment.......nothing but issue's.

Anyway, hope to post first progress by the 16th, as we have rain over the weekend.......must always see a positive somewhere on a grey day...😁

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 9

18 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Simon. Great introduction to your project and it looks like you have a fascinating project in prospect! I can't wait! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix

Looks like a really nasty day tomorrow, so I think a really good day to kick it off. As I said before, I have to shut down for Christmas after next Thursday until nearly the New Year.☹️

My goal is to have the majority of the sub builds done during the coming week. Seems a simple construction......then PE as a separate phase.

Simon

• Like 2

AFTERNOON GENTS........you can't beat a damp cold dismal day for a good day at the bench..:nerdy:

zjNbBf2.jpg?2

Chassis done:coolio:

wtnGURH.jpg?1

and internal ammo cabinets and charge racks....and finally.....

AEvcXfI.jpg?2

Gun breach and recoil parts cleaned and ready to pop together......hopefully be left alone to continue until later this evening.....one lives in hope anyway...:think:

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 11

Hi Stix, yeah....she's falling together.....a standard Dragon kit. I have come across some issues that I had with the 38t"Grille". The connection points of parts to the spru sometimes are at critical fit points had have to be carefully filed and carved back into shape.....bit of a chore.

Hope to post end of day progress. .....been a good day.....:yahoo:

• Like 2

Thanks Mark.......:yes:

It's a nice job as regards the chassis so far. At first all the parts that go into it could be seen as an over the top approach, but once together it make's a big difference. All the separate parts for the idler (5 parts) and leaf spring brackets(4 parts) makes for a crisp look also. The final drive for has a nice multi layer of detail, and I have to admit you don't get this with Tamiya (my usual choice of maker.) All round, a really nice level of detail. Even the rubber bumpers for the running wheels were in two parts....all made a difference.

But..........the gun breach....now that wasn't so sharp I have to say

gHYUSsg.jpg?1The parts other than the breach block went together well.....as you can see in the pic the filler it needed to eliminate the gaps in the multi part block(6 pieces:hypnotised:) that Dragon did to overcome the multi direction of the original detail. I think the PE parts on the recoil piston on top was un-necessary though. They could have been done in the parts they adjoin. In general, if you can see above, some of the detail is a little soft also in the areas of the recoil pistons, bolt heads etc.

The barrelthough was a work of art as regards the moulding. I was going to get the aluminium upgrade barrel. But when looking at the barrel on the spru convinced me it was un-necessary. Moulded in one piece with the muzzle break and just needing the end adding on. No need to glue two halves together and spend an age getting rid of the seam.

vc0BjdX.jpg?1

Tomorrow...all going well....the upper hull, running boards. From a dry fit today looks like some filler will be needed.:huh:

Cheers all

Simon.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Badder said:

I've just noticed the six road wheels per side. Pfffft!

Still, I love the detail so far. Some interesting bits and pieces there.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder, yeah....short wheel base Panzer IV chassis. In fact when I dry fitted the turret and upper chassis....it reminds me a bit of those cartoon Meng AFV things.......looks a little odd..

• Like 2

Hi Everyone....good afternoon

Chance for an update and I hope time to sit and have a good look at all the Panzer IV build blogs......but here's where I stand. The main Dragon kit itself is pretty much done. All in a state of subcomponents for later painting off and applying in a final build. Hard to keep a track of what to do next in light of the need to paint all the internals first, keep the running boards off etc etc.

The next phase is the PE....I started some; but here s what i have to work with....:hypnotised: The vast amount will be in the turret and running board areas. Very little on the main hull and chassis.

XlYWip0.jpg

As you can see the first PE is visible here and there. The running boards will be off and added after track addition and sub hull painting. Same with ammo cabinets, exhaust and spare wheels.

MsxLXxg.jpg

The upper turret armour will be joined with the bottom section once all internals of the turret are complete. Also you can see the need of filler where the upper hull sides joined the top area. Surprised it was needed with a Dragon kit, but was as some visible gaps pretty much along the complete perimeter. The wooded area in the main fighting compartment is also only dry fitted as this will be a final addition once the this area is painted and weathered along with the ammo cabinets as a separate module.

xeEaOdo.jpg

Anyway, off to have lunch and a gander at the Panzer IV's underway.

Cheers...:yes:..Simon

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 8

Yeah.....quite a lot, keeping in mind it’s only really on the running boards and turret. What is nice, is the PE u get from Dragon isn’t repeated in the PART PE from Poland. They make use of them instead.

As regards cryo for the PE. I use Gorilla Glue’s new gel super glue. So far with all I have tried, the best.......and yes, new bottle in hand 🤓

thanks again Hewy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

As regards cryo for the PE. I use Gorilla Glue’s new gel super glue

Ohh, now I've seen your applied etch and it's top drawer, I've always presumed thin was best, I use the zap stuff, I'll give some of that gorilla gel a go

All the best simon

• Like 1

Hi Stix, cheers mate.

Had some issues with the PE though. The maker PART from Poland hasn't done a bad job, but some issues. The radio rack bend lines are not defined enough and distorted in the bending process. I've decided to switch to an Eduard radio upgrade set I have somewhere. For me that need to add return flaps to be able to glue box structures etc, and not just corners abutting having only the thickness of the PE edge touching.....anyway.....for the rest of the PE, I'll check the bend line and increase if necessary....you live and learn..:huh:

Here's the start point....you can see the dotted bend line....certainly not sufficient for bending such a part.

8W7lvCp.jpg

After finally getting the chance to sit down to view all the build's...I didn't know spru shots were a norm of GB;s......I'll defiantly do that next time around.

Simon.

• Like 6

Great progress so far and good luck battling that PE into shape. 

I invested in a hold and fold some years back and couldn't cope without it now!

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

Hi Ben, cheers mate....and yeah I have a small shop and another one I can't remember the brand at the moment. I couldn't either be without, but even with one the PE deformed. I'll just remember to run a razor saw over critical bends in the future to deepen them.

Thanks again

Simon.

2 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Ben, cheers mate....and yeah I have a small shop and another one I can't remember the brand at the moment. I couldn't either be without, but even with one the PE deformed. I'll just remember to run a razor saw over critical bends in the future to deepen them.

Thanks again

Simon.

Top tip regarding the razor saw - I'll file that away in the memory banks!

Looking forward to more updates when you get chance.

All the best

Ben

Thanks Stix..going to do nothing but PE here on in.......hoping to get a full day in tomorrow before I have to pack everything up for Christmas. Probably get everything up and running again in the New Year........

Thanks again.....:yes:

• Like 2

AFTERNOON ALL......I hope we are all well and ready for the holiday's........

Just thought I'd show you this.....me think's these PE companies really are taking it a little too far.......:think:.......let me see....we will replace a well moulded Dragon jack with 5 parts for a PE version with.....wait for it.....26:yikes:

TGVwCqF.jpg

And yet, did'nt think giving you the struts that hold the running boards on which would have been better in scale than the moulded ones Dragon supply.......you know I really think they should start to get some feedback on their PE set's.........and put in what will make a difference. I'll see how this goes together....but I think the Dragon jack might do just as well with some PE clamps holding it down.......

Later chaps

Simon.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3