Jimmy Doolittle's plane

RudyBob

Hello

Doolittle flew B-25B 40-2344, which was without nose art. The photo of this aircraft, presumably taken while still back in USA, can be found on this webpage. IIRC there was an article about Doolittle raid, published in one of the early numbers of HPM magazine, where it had been stated that only one of Dollittle raiders wore a nose art. It was an angel carrying a bomb, chalked on the nose of one of the aircraft. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

The model shown depict's the aircraft flown by Ted Lawson, named "Ruptured Duck", as shown in the movie "30 Seconds Over Tokyo". The Accurate Miniatures 1/48 B-25B kit includes markings for some of those aircraft; it includes different artwork for Ruptured Duck using information provided by Lawson's widow. The specific mission bomb load varied with each aircraft. Parts-R-Parts has some relevant bits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Doolittle flew B-25B 40-2344, which was without nose art. The photo of this aircraft, presumably taken while still back in USA, can be found on this webpage. IIRC there was an article about Doolittle raid, published in one of the early numbers of HPM magazine, where it had been stated that only one of Dollittle raiders wore a nose art. It was an angel carrying a bomb, chalked on the nose of one of the aircraft. Cheers

Jure

IIRC, the B-25 with the angel carrying the bomb nose art was 'Hari-Kari-er'  which was not Doolittle's B-25, but Capt. Ross Greening's 40-2249 IIRC. I will look for more definitive information. I have attached a link to the official website which had some very good photos and makes for excellent reading for those interested. The photo Rudy posted is Ted Lawson's 'Ruptured Duck,' 40-2261, which I don't believe carried the nose art on the raid. There is a 1/72 decal sheet that gives the serials and markings for all 16 Tokyo Raid Mitchells. On the second link I posted, you can scroll down to see the serial number, pilot, and name/art (whether actually applied or not) for each of the sixteen Mitchells that flew from the Hornet. It would be pretty easy to convert the new-tool Airfix B-25C/D into a Doolittle Raid B-25B. There is also a detailed WIP for a 1/48 Accurate Miniatures B-25 that was converted to a Doolittle Raid aircraft I remember looking at a few years back that had an excellent summary of all of the modifications made to the airplanes- it would be worth searching for. Hope this helps getting you started.

Mike

http://www.doolittleraider.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doolittle_Raid

DK Decals sheet 72-006 has serials and markings for 8 of the 16 Doolittle Raiders, including Doolittle's  40-2344.

Edited by 72modeler
spaced text for clarity, added additional text
  • Like 1

They were "OD/NG", that is, olive drab over neutral gray. I just checked my AM box, and it claims: markings for all 16 aircraft are included, and "Some aircraft appear to have solid Olive Drab engine nacelles." As always, check primary references (contemporaneous photos or documents) for specific aircraft.The doolittleraider.com web site referenced above has a photo showing the "Hari Carrier" art.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

They were "OD/NG", that is, olive drab over neutral gray. I just checked my AM box, and it claims: markings for all 16 aircraft are included, and "Some aircraft appear to have solid Olive Drab engine nacelles." As always, check primary references (contemporaneous photos or documents) for specific aircraft.The doolittleraider.com web site referenced above has a photo showing the "Hari Carrier" art.

Thanks Man! I have an AZ  model B-25J Mitchell "USAAF" to build. I bought this in 1:72 at I price I was willing to pay. The Doolittle Raid IMO was the most ballsy act of the war. I wish a movie would do the raid justice. I have seen a few and there was one with Spencer Tracy that is good but in this instance I want to be cold and damp like the picture looks. Hmmm What was the temp that day. Gotta look it up