S-3B Santa Tracker

I think I want to join in with this;

44481664630_25181b09d3_z.jpg20181213_173634 by mario binsar

44481613550_d24aa669e4_z.jpg20181213_173644 by mario binsar

I took this kit with me when I went on board my current hitch four weeks ago, but haven't got the mojo to start building it... Until I saw this GB.

My plan is to scribe it and build it with Twobobs' Santa Tracker decal (well it's a holiday season now, isn't it?).

So, premisson to come aboard, gents?

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

Not much progress, due to works, classes, and family especially it's Christmas...But I was able to spent some times with the Viking.

As planned, I scribed the exterior parts of the Viking, using a 3 way drawing plan I found on the internet... I forgot to document the whole process though.. 🤦‍♂️

24oqbns.jpg

I decided to have some fun and modified the cockpit ie: open the door and add a curtain afterwards...

20sdqih.jpg

Yes... The 'curtain' will not really shows considering the Viking heavily tinted canopy plus the figures I'm using..🤷‍♂️

Anyhoo... Going to spend several days at the parent's for Christmas. 

So, Merry Christmas guys!

Cheers,

Mario 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The progress is going slow...

But I managed to scribe some details (APU vent, chaff/flare dispensers) which differ the -A model which the kit originally represent, and the -B I'm aiming for

Also able to assemble the engines and slap some putty on the viking, and glued the wing

2j1o38y.jpg

I decided to cutoff the molded blade antennas on the plane belly and keep it someplace secure to avoid breaking it when sanding the areas

nnruiv.jpg

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Any more progress Mario?

Not much, but we do...

I just got back from work and continuing my builds.

2ihm7mb.jpg

I masked the canopy, and glue it to the cockpit.

I also paint both engine area.. so it's titanium silver for the engine face, mask it with Mr.Hobby liquid mask and flat white for the intake wall.

This followed by black primer..

10nykc1.jpg

Hopefully the primer will hard enough for the the first coat of paint tonight... Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 5

One thing which always bugging me during this build are the sonobuoys holes... I've read there's only 16 sonobuoy holes on S-3B, but Twobobs instruction and several photos I found on line still shows the original configuration.

34qn18m.jpg.

To confirm this I post an inquiry on the ARC forum, and soon received the answer.. the specific airframe I'm building already had the ASW Demod.. So, additional filling are in order

2w2in7m.jpg

I also found a post here; http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/updatingyourvikingbs_1.htm

describing the differences in S-3B and the necessary modifications which are quite easy to do, such as ESM Antennas

dnomxc.jpg

And GPS Antenna

53jkg5.jpg

After filling and sanding, the first coat of Mr.Color 308 (FS 36375) followed by khaki and slight flat earth marbled on the kit surfaces.

2zgetg1.jpg

And finally a light coat of highly diluted Mr.Color 308 to seal it all...

2gvlwxx.jpg

Phew.... That all for now, folks

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 7

Thanks Robert,

Marbling over black base has been my route for years on making US Navy birds with their splotches and discoloration. It always look scary at first but lovely at the end.

Update... 

The decaling has started, and ithe Twobobs decal looks very good!

But several decal need to be trimmed. Thr instruction sheet is not as informative for me, and in the end it left me with several unused stencils.

2vxhpjl.jpg

1zfok1y.jpg

It react nicely with a careful application of decal softener.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

A lot happened...

Yet unfortunately I was too cought up to take pictures.

After a gloss clear cloat, I applied a light enamel wash, since I think the black basing and the following marbling already did enough weathering... 

So, straight to assemble the small parts, engines, pylons, etc.

2rzxtvn.jpg

And end it with semigloss coat..

Wait for several days (yet still leave a few finger prints 😫), and peel off the masking tapes...

2h5o1g3.jpg

2eygtmp.jpg

Wait... This means I'm done!

More pictures on the gallery section...

Cheers

Mario

• Like 8
  • Haha 1