My first Spitfire

A first for me as I have never built a Spitfire.This is my 1/72 Italeri Spitfire Mk IX, RAF/Free France A.F, Squadron 602 "City of Glasgow" 1944.I am critical of this as would you believe I kind of lost interest, but here she is, all comments welcome. Probably not up to the standard I see here but here she is.

45575015044_6bc88e193d.jpgDSCF9505 by john dann, on Flickr

45575015074_e2f9fcf2c6.jpgDSCF9506 by john dann, on Flickr

45575015104_c1cb1b9a26.jpgDSCF9507 by john dann, on Flickr

45575015164_ab4b32dc6b.jpgDSCF9510 by john dann, on Flickr

• Like 29

4 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

If you hadn't mentioned it i'd never of noticed....

Great, but you know when i notice something like that it stays in my mind and one day I will try and rectify it.And by the way wish I was where you are now, damned cold here

Edited by danntheman
Added more to comment.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Look's great John especially as I read bad thing's about this kit,I know I've binned at least two of their similar Vb's!

Yeah i am no expert on Spitfire kits but I think the idea of front cowling separate makes it hard to align properly, making spinner hard to locate.

I think this is the aircraft flown by Pierre Clostermann, the French ace. Interestingly, he was born in Brazil, his father was a French diplomat and he grew up in Brazil living in there until he was around 11yo.

He went to study in USA and then joined French army during the war.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

I think this is the aircraft flown by Pierre Clostermann, the French ace. Interestingly, he was born in Brazil, his father was a French diplomat and he grew up in Brazil living in there until he was around 11yo.

He went to study in USA and then joined French army during the war.

It is one of the aircraft flown by him indeed.

50 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

As others have said, the Italeri kit is not the best Spitfire kit but you've produced a very competent effort with it, a result worthy of praise indeed, so well done to you.  :)

Steve.

Thank you for kind comment

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

The proprotions on the Academy kit are out by quite a bit. It's a shame as it is a nice kit from a detail and fit point of view. It just look wrong though.

Jep, it is a shame, just as is the case with the bigger ones from Academy. 

But try to look for the Fujimi ones in 1/72. Not without problems but indefinitely better. They also had a PR Mk.XIX. 

I did manage to get some Fujimi 1/72 Spitfires. Of course, Airfix's 1/72 Spitfires from the 1973 Vb on are actually all quite accurate - although the older ones are rather crude by modern standards. I actually have a bit of a love affair with their Vb one of the few kits I've built twice in recent years.

Nothing to grumble about there, mate.  If you obsess over the work you see from the real pros on here you'd jack it in and take up macrame.  Some of these blokes ain't human.  If it'll make you feel better I'll be sticking up pics of something that looks a bit like a P38 in a few days.  I may not be very skilled but at least I'm incompetent.

• Like 1