Meteor BVRAAM

tnuag

The Meteor is an interesting new air-to-air missile. Quite sizable, being 51mm long in 1:72 and 76mm in 1:48.

It has an impressive performance, ram-jet powered and Mach 4 - carried by F-35, Typhoonn annd Grippen amongst others.

Here are some CAD screenshots:

meteor-B1.jpg

meteor-A1.jpg

meteor-C1.jpg

• Like 4

I remember some years ago these being tested at Boscombe Down, being fired over the North Sea from Tornado F3’s. A good friend of mine showed me photos from the period with impressive results apparently. Also a SAAB Gripen came across to do the same. Seems years ago now.

Steve.

It is not decided about decals - it appears to be three blue lines around the body and a ground symbol by the forward attachment.

If we do include decals they will be laser printed.

If anyone has more details please post them here.

Yes, they will be produced in 1:72 and 1:48 - it looks as though there needs to be four in a pack.

Thinking about decals, laser printed, three blue lines, ground symbol and possibly the MDBA METEOR logo should suffice. Has anyone got any other suggestions?

18 minutes ago, tnuag said:

Yes, they will be produced in 1:72 and 1:48 - it looks as though there needs to be four in a pack.

Thinking about decals, laser printed, three blue lines, ground symbol and possibly the MDBA METEOR logo should suffice. Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Good shout. Whilst it’s your business, 4 would be a better sell point IMHO. Particularly so if more accurate than those available in the Revell and Hasegawa boxings.

1 hour ago, tnuag said:

Perhaps the corresponding yellow and brown bands denoting a live missile together with the blue bands used to denote an inert example - I'm sure @Selwyn will correct me if I've used the incorrect terminology.

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

Perhaps the corresponding yellow and brown bands denoting a live missile together with the blue bands used to denote an inert example - I'm sure @Selwyn will correct me if I've used the incorrect terminology.

This is  part of the NATO universal weapon marking system used since 1964.   you could  find a yellow band on a  HE army artillery shell or a  US Air force Mk 82 bomb, or  a naval cruise missile etc etc.

Brown markings (bands  or overall colour) on any weapon  denote the presence and location of a low explosive component, in the case of missiles this is usually the propellant but it may have other items on it that are explosively operated, hence sometimes multiple bands. flare cartridges may have a brown band on them or the ammunition box they came in may be painted brown.

A yellow band denotes High Explosive, usually the store warhead, again they could be multiple bands if more than one HE component.

light blue bands denote a Practice round. IT DOES NOT MEAN INERT! this is for aircrew practice, you can have a store with blue bands (or overall blue) and a brown band for instance. (scroll down to see blue ;3kg practice bombs with brown bands) If I stood you in front of an aircraft gun loaded with practice ammunition you would have a sudden shock!

Check your photo references is the best idea.  But you must remember Live weapons are not carried very often in peacetime.  There will be drill and live versions of most weapons , the colour markings  tell you this.  Anything with a company name emblazoned on it is a company demonstrator/ad and never used operationally. lots of kits  come  with red bands as decals on missiles, this is just poor research by the model company.  (a red band on a store indicates an incendiary component  by the way! Tracer rounds and flares have this marking) 

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 2

PROGRESS

The files will go for stereolithography today, with a view to having masters before Christmas.

Here is a screenshot of one of the masters with its feed :

Meteor-master.jpg

And here is the box art which will appear on the Hannants web site:

TWC48028.jpg

TWC72028.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Out of interest, are you planning on expanding your range of British ordnance if this is successful? There really is a dearth of good accurate munitions unless one buys a whole aircraft kit in some instances, if they exist at all! (anyone know of accurate Skyflashes for example?)

Accurate British Paveways would also be a boon... jus sayin’ 😉

Edited by charlie_c67

If this one sells well there is every chance that others will follow. If and if I can find accurate drawings and dimensions for Skyflash and Brimstone I will at least model them in CAD.

For the record, the first Meteors were produced last week and are looking nice.

The Meteor packs should be with Hannants in a week to ten days.

I will look at some Skyflash, Brimstone and Spear drawings.   If anyone has any other suggestions, just add a post. If any are modelled there will be 1:72 and 1:48 versions.

Edited by tnuag
correction
  • Like 1