Half scale Tomcats by 2.

Rob G

Hello all. I have a number of Grumman products in the stash and had originally decided to enter this GB with a 1/72 Hasegawa F-14 in Iranian colours. However, being a bit thick, I sold that kit a few months ago. It was replaced in a bit of a hurry by Revell's 1/144 A model in the VX-4 Black Bunny boxing, which I will build here as a line bird in classic grey and white. The black plastic will save me a coat of paint for black basing...

In addition, I'll be making an attempt at the D 'Super Tomcat' version of the kit, probably the aircraft with the low viz shark mouth on it. A story attaches to this - I was looking after a friend's model shop earlier in the week and things were quiet. Idle hands in a hobby shop... Hmm... There was a D on the shelf, and all the tools I could need; what else could be the result? Of course, as soon as I clipped the first bits off the sprue and started fitting them together the door opened and it got busy, but I now own another small Tomcat, (yes, I paid for it) so I'll build both of them here.

No photos yet (haven't added them to my Flickr account), but I'll get them up and on show ASAP. Being simple kits I should be able to complete them in the allotted time...

And photies of builded stuffs.

First, fuselage together

20181217_081528

Next, the nose wheel well. Revell in their wisdom have put an ejector pin smack bang in the middle of this part, which removes the detail. I've cleaned it up and added detail back; forgot to photomagraph the process, so I'll do it for the A model model (which is still a Revell model, not an Amodel model. Confuzzled? Good.)

20181217_081652

And to show that the wings still swing (because we're kids at heart)

Look Ma, swingin' wings!

Next step is cockpit detailing (detailing, he says. Adding tape belts, supplied instrument decals and calling it done is what it'll be) then fitting the cockpit pod to the fuselage and moving right along. Update when it happens, and also the beginnings of the A model model.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Herpa derp, a month on and not much has happened. Christmas, New Year, work, the heat etc have all combined to keep me away from managing much progress at the bench. I'll try to do something in the next couple of days (before work calls again...)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Riight. Progress, of sorts.

20190206_215902

Crew painted, installed and belted (if you look closely...). Nowhere near as good as some, and it does look better when it's not magnified, but hey ho, it's progress.

The canopy is masked and glued in, and with a bit of luck and painkillers, I'll manage to get a first coat of paint onto this thing today. We shall see what we shall see.

Still a few days until the end of the GB, so with a concerted effort I may be able to finish this GB on time, for the first time ever.

• Like 2

For some reason I had in my head that this GB finished on the 16th. Apparently not. Chalk up yet another DNF for me.

Oh well. Kudos to them's what got there, well done to you all.

I'll finish this build over the coming days and put it to rest, then move on to not finishing my entry in the upcoming Trainers GB (you're all welcome to join in).