Guys you wont believe the things she did

the South African

Cheers Hewy. At the moment I am thinking that leaving the odd skirt off will be the best route to take. I am however also considering building a few track links to hang here and there and I will have to make a couple of weld seams to disguise a niggle here and there. The above will however only start to be done in the morning. 

Regards:

Shaun 

Shaun,

It's looking good...... and hints of maybe ending up dirty. Dirty. Dirty. Very, VERY dirty. Dirty! DIRTY!

Or am I being a shade optimistic?

Rearguards,

Badder

Thank you Stix. I have done the whole black priming thing today and also did the tires on the Tiger so by tomorrow the real build should be starting. 

Regards:

Shaun 

I also like the zimmerit you've done. It seems to have been well applied to Panthers and King Tigers but not so well on Panzer IVs. As the turret armour caused every German AFV to be reported as a Tiger your diorama idea is a very good one.

About the Aust G you mentioned. The steel return rollers appeared in October 1943 so an Ausf H could have either fitted. The cast idler appeared at about the same time. So 888 units give or take had the steel wheels the rest rubber.

BTW schutzern was certainly a system of two parts. The hull fittings were relatively weak for the abuse they'd encounter so took more damage. The turret fixings were stronger and it was better protected. As a result the turret armour was usually in pretty good shape.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I also like the zimmerit you've done. It seems to have been well applied to Panthers and King Tigers but not so well on Panzer IVs. As the turret armour caused every German AFV to be reported as a Tiger your diorama idea is a very good one.

About the Aust G you mentioned. The steel return rollers appeared in October 1943 so an Ausf H could have either fitted. The cast idler appeared at about the same time. So 888 units give or take had the steel wheels the rest rubber.

BTW schutzern was certainly a system of two parts. The hull fittings were relatively weak for the abuse they'd encounter so took more damage. The turret fixings were stronger and it was better protected. As a result the turret armour was usually in pretty good shape.

Thanks for the comments and also the adcice. I had a very faint idea that the hull schurzen would have taken a lot of punishement at the moment I am busy doing the triangular retaining "teeth" I have cut them in such a way that most of them is of different sizes as I would like to make them seem as having been repaired at some stage or the other in a field workshop you know kinda welded in place by a tired tech. I am hoping that this will work because to be frank my weathering skills suck. 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Like 1

O. K so al of the hangar brackets is in place I am now wrestling through scratchbuilding a couple of tracks as additional stowage/improvised armor. Now I know that you guys are going to ask why I would want to scratch tracks if I could just buy some. The short answer is that I want to see if I can because I am busy scratch building a samovente so would like to do it without buying anything as it would then not be scratch built in my little book. Ja I know. But I am funny in that way. Hoping to give some more pics as soon as I have at least 6 tracks done. 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Like 2

O. K so I have been pondering on this mulling and going back and forth for the last two days. As I am busy building individual tracks for the "add on armor" having rubber band tracks will not work out for the model that I want to depict. That having been said I will now have to go silent untill past christmas because:Yes you guessed it I am about to start cutting the 720 pieces of microscopically small plastic parts to build individual track links for both the model and the add on armor wish me luck and see you in the new year. 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/20/2018 at 9:58 PM, the South African said:

O. K so al of the hangar brackets is in place I am now wrestling through scratchbuilding a couple of tracks as additional stowage/improvised armor. Now I know that you guys are going to ask why I would want to scratch tracks if I could just buy some. The short answer is that I want to see if I can because I am busy scratch building a samovente so would like to do it without buying anything as it would then not be scratch built in my little book. Ja I know. But I am funny in that way. Hoping to give some more pics as soon as I have at least 6 tracks done.  

Regards:

Shaun 

How weird is this????

Earlier today I actually wondered if it was possible to scratch-build winter tracks for my Nashorn. And I decided of course it's possible, but only by a complete nut-job!😁

I simply don't have the tools, or the patience, to make even one link, let alone 160+

So, I take my hat off to you Shaun, and wish you every success. And no, you're not a nut-job really.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/12/2018 at 21:22, the South African said:

IMG-20181218-231428.jpg

So with the planned layout containing a tiger I got to thinking that I would have to seriously ramp up the panzer iv as to not be overshadowed by the rather impressive bulk of it's co habitant. 

I applied the zimmermit coating in a way that I am hoping will convey that it was applied haphazardly by someone not particularly in the mood to do so and also that half of it has fallen off. The schurzen mounts is still a work in progress taking a bit of fore thought as to not interfere with the painting. 

As always all comments and critique is valued. 

Regards:

Shaun. 

I hugely admire your bravely and commitment to scratching track links. You are a modeller after all - after a certain amount of aftermarket had been bought you can begin to feel more like a model shopper!

I would like to make some comment on the zimmerit. I might be wrong, and I can't remember which book I've read this in, but I've read that the zimmerit was actually a very durable material owing to its hardness. Large missing areas across the tank would be unlikely to occur due to field damage, as i understand, because it would require a lot of hard impacts. Maybe something to bear in mind as you do it. You've got a cool dramatic effect going so model it as you please!

Another way you can convey zimmerit being done in a hurry - miss done surfaces. We often see the lower hull behind the wheels missing zimm, but also small 'tricky' areas like around the exhausts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, the South African said:

Thanks Stix hoping that you and your loved ones will have a blessed season. 

Regards:

Shaun 

Thank you very much Shaun and the same to you and yours.

Kind regards,

Stix

O. K guys just dropping by really quick here. I will post some pics a bit later in the afternoon. I have started over with the tracks and have built the 1st one that with a bit of paint and weathering I might be able to pass as a panzer IV track. The section in itself consist of 6 parts in total and after making the raw template it takes more or les 2 minutes to assemble. Ooooh well just another 129 sections left. 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I have to date not much to report but with the Decemer holidays gone and the visitors festivities kids seen to school etc etc all done I can now get back in the saddle and start work on the panzers again. Hoping to report progress by tonight. 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Like 2

IMG-20190109-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190109-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20190109-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20190109-173126.jpg

As promised some pics at long last. These six will be hung on the front glacis plate. They look much rougher than in real life on the camera but should do the trick when completed. 

As always all comments and critique is wrlcomed. 

Edited by the South African
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, the South African said:

IMG-20190109-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190109-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20190109-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20190109-173126.jpg

As promised some pics at long last. These six will be hung on the front glacis plate. They look much rougher than in real life on the camera but should do the trick when completed. 

As always all comments and critique is wrlcomed. 

Hi Shaun,

I gave the above post a 'sad' ,  'Sad' because there is no option for 'OMG!'

Seriously. OMG!

Rearguards,

Badder.

Thanks Badder. I am not entirely pleased with ho these are comming along as I think that the outer parts is a bit off but will probably end up correcting the said little problem with a stitchcutter as soon as the glue has set the stretched sprue in place. 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Like 1

Hi Hewy I am going to make all of the tracks out of card on this one the best of the tracks will however be kept to cast at a later stage. 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Like 2