Holt 75 Artillery Tractor WWI, Roden 1/35

I finished the Holt Tractor after some months of building which was mostly but not only fun.

I know every single part by forename now as they all need love and rework to make a tractor in the end. Some parts were simply unusable so I scratched them and the tracks were a nightmare. They were in no way able to follow the rounds of the sprocket and wheel and on the other hand each link fell off very easily. I ended up glueing every single link individually to the tractor.

Apart from that this is an OOB built, I did not find any aftermarket parts. Guess the kit is too new.

The Vallejo acrylics were airbrushed in several layers of different rust tones, afterwards the green was airbrushed as an "uncomplete" layer so it did not cover the "rust" everywere. After that came several layers of flat / satin / gloss coats and many hours of oil colour washing.

The tractor is not at all perfect but I have to admit I like the result. Still looking for a suitable ordnance.

holt75_05.jpg

holt75_06.jpg

holt75_08.jpg

holt75_10.jpg

holt75_09.jpg

holt75_07.jpg

• Like 23

• 4 months later...

Excellent Holt 😊 and like you l had to remake several parts so they looked right. I really enjoyed building mine ! 

Cheers

Andrew

• Thanks 1

I’ve only seen one other build and the reviewer basically said the same thing.  Poor fit, redid most of the parts etc. While I enjoy building WWI vehicles I don’t think I’ll be torturing myself with this one.  Great build and congratulations on finishing it.  It’s a shame Roden can’t seem to put out a better kit.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 2:23 AM, cduckworth said:

I’ve only seen one other build and the reviewer basically said the same thing.  Poor fit, redid most of the parts etc. While I enjoy building WWI vehicles I don’t think I’ll be torturing myself with this one.  Great build and congratulations on finishing it.  It’s a shame Roden can’t seem to put out a better kit.  

Actually, it’s not that bad at all. You should have a go! 

Cheers

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2019 at 3:25 PM, McNab said:

Actually, it’s not that bad at all. You should have a go! 

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

I bought the Roden howitzer a few weeks ago and after reading a few additional builds I just purchased one today.   Thanks for the push...

Charlie

• Like 2

On 6/7/2019 at 10:05 PM, cduckworth said:

Andrew

I bought the Roden howitzer a few weeks ago and after reading a few additional builds I just purchased one today.   Thanks for the push...

Charlie

Good for you 😊 you will enjoy the build despite my whiny whinging; and we do need more WWI builders on here. I find the whole era’s technology utterly fascinating despite it being centred around what must have been absolute bloody hell. Lest we forget.

cheers

Andrew

PS: l will pop a photo or two into my topic about the howitzer. Just so you can see that you can easily do better! 

Edited by McNab
Absent minded!