Hannants using my Sage 2 model is this normal for them?

cduckworth

On 12/12/2018 at 19:14, cduckworth said:

I’m not looking for compensation just thinking a credit line would be considerate. I did contact Hannants and will advise of their reply (if I get one).  

I didn't think you would be looking for financial compensation but it was mentioned in the thread and I just wanted to make the point it was unlikely to happen!

On 13/12/2018 at 22:35, GrzeM said:

I disagree with you. According to the European copyright-related law in general published photos do not automatically became Public Domain. The copyright is still with the author (for a long time after publication, it depends on situation). To make some material Public Domain the author must openly state it.

Of course people are allowed to "fair use" of the published materials created by others, but clearly commercial use (like the internet shop website) is definitely not the "fair use". Fair use includes things like review, discussion, education, private research etc. but not commercial use.

I agree that the photo might have been supplied by the producer. In general Hannant's website isn't full of model photos stolen from the Internet.

BTW, I remember this model, Charlie, from The List!!!!

On 13/12/2018 at 23:54, rayprit said:

I disagree with you!!!  I have posted material on the internet which has been copied/infringed...………………….once its copied and used by the perpetrators, that too stands a strong chance of being copied also, which in turn gets copied and so a vicious cycle continues, so much so, that NOBODY knows where it came from and who is the original owner...…………………...once you post anything in the public domain, you stand a strong chance of loosing it...……………….numerous photos of mine appear on Pinterest, duplicated over and over again by different people...………..I have had people ask me if they can use a photo or two for their club site or enthusiasts club...…………...only to find that those photos appearing world wide...…………...as I said earlier, I stopped publishing my photos about 5 years ago and still, when I use Google for research they appear before me

On 14/12/2018 at 01:12, GrzeM said:

Well, the fact that somebody has stolen your property doesn't make your property "public domain".
Publication in the Internet is no different than any other publication (book, newspaper etc.). Internet is only a medium, not a "domain".

Professional photographers hire lawyers who find such infridgements and sue the perpetrators.

From Wikipedia:
"Before 1988 in the US, works could be easily given into the public domain by just releasing it without an explicit Copyright notice. With the Berne Convention Implementation Act of 1988 (and the earlier Copyright Act of 1976, which went into effect in 1978), all works were by default copyright protected and needed to be actively given into public domain by a waiver statement/anti-copyright can call notice. Not all legal systems have processes for reliably donating works to the public domain, e.g. civil law of continental Europe.[citation needed] This may even "effectively prohibit any attempt by copyright owners to surrender rights automatically conferred by law, particularly moral rights"."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the capital letters on Public Domain in my post as that may have been taken as something different legally from my intention. All I wanted to get across was that once an image (or anything else) is made freely available then the copyright holder loses control of it and any future attempts to restrict the use will be very difficult to enforce. I think most of us posting photos aren't bothered if someone else finds it useful, such as a completed model or the walk round section on BM, but their use for other purposes should at least get an acknowledgement. Ideally consent for use should be obtained in advance, but that isn't always possible.

On 14/12/2018 at 09:28, GrzeM said:

I'm not sure if the statement in this article is fully confirmed. Or maybe it is US law, sligtly different than European.

It is true that publishing anything on the social media you pass part of your copyright to the medium (facebook, instagram etc. - you agree for that when you accept the regulations during creating the account).
Does the films have different law, or the films posted to the internet became public domain too?

Most social media sites make you agree that any and all content you upload belongs to them, several professional photographers have run into problems trying to sell their own photos after showing them on a social media site as they find that they no longer own the copyright for them. At least one has been threatened with legal action for trying to sell a photo they took......

Steve

1 hour ago, vildebeest said:

I see that there is now a credit on Hannant's website as to the builder of the model.

Paul

Given what Paul has now said, which means that OP has got what he wanted, there's no need for the back and forth over what is and isn't legal.  It's not productive now, and hackles seem to be getting a little raised. :hmmm:

• Like 1

• Mike locked this topic