1/72 Viggen Question

Murph

According to the Tarangus instructions, the JA37 had "a more powerful engine" which "was longer and required the fuselage of the fighter version to be lengthened." I can't tell from the parts layout of the kit how Tarangus has engineered this difference into the kit, but I am no expert on the Viggen. I would guess, however, based on the many extra parts in the kit, that Tarangus will eventually be bringing us the other versions of the Viggen. Also, sprues A & B have a lot of empty space, and I suspect that is an allowance for the different fuselage parts required for the other variants.

2 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

According to the Tarangus instructions, the JA37 had "a more powerful engine" which "was longer and required the fuselage of the fighter version to be lengthened." I can't tell from the parts layout of the kit how Tarangus has engineered this difference into the kit, but I am no expert on the Viggen. I would guess, however, based on the many extra parts in the kit, that Tarangus will eventually be bringing us the other versions of the Viggen. Also, sprues A & B have a lot of empty space, and I suspect that is an allowance for the different fuselage parts required for the other variants.

They have a spacer to insert in the fuselage to account for the extra length of the JA-37; I would imagine that's the reason for the unusual breakdown of the fuselage parts.

Regards,

Murph

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Murph said:

They have a spacer to insert in the fuselage to account for the extra length of the JA-37; I would imagine that's the reason for the unusual breakdown of the fuselage parts.

Regards,

Murph

Which part is that? Their instructions are not the easiest to follow.

Sprue G is for the JA 37 version which means that you shouldn't use any of those parts for an AJ 37.

However, the fin is only appropriate for the JA 37 or SK 37. So you'll have to find another one. If you have built a Heller Viggen JA or SK you may have a spare... 

You should also use the external fuel tank with three fins.

Edited by Matave
  • Like 2

Most of the parts are there, with the exception of the tail. It would take some work to convert that. The AJ- tail is shorter (above the rudder only), lacks the dog tooth on the leading edge and has the pitot in a different position.

Otherwise:

1. Don't add the second set of flap actuators on the bottom (on the sprue with the aft fuselage sides).

2. Use the the shorter fuselage plug

3. Use the drop tank that only has three fins

4. Use the canards that are on the sprue with the lower wing (has one less vortex generator)

5. Different instrument panel, should have a round display in the middle

6. Different centerline pylon and vent arrangement, should be in the kit but I don't have it to look and see which one you would use.

This is all based on looking at reviews online that don't have the details or the part numbers readily readable, but the biggest difference remains the tail. Not something a bit of work filing and shaping can't fix though.

Cheers,

Hoops

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2018 at 11:33 PM, Space Ranger said:

I would guess, however, based on the many extra parts in the kit, that Tarangus will eventually be bringing us the other versions of the Viggen. Also, sprues A & B have a lot of empty space, and I suspect that is an allowance for the different fuselage parts required for the other variants.

Special Hobby will be releasing the other versions of the Viggen (as well as their own boxing of the JA) beggining spring 2019. The only other fuselage that they'll be releasing is the two seat forward fuselage. Everything else is covered by the different antennas, vents, small intakes and such.

18 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Did any of the JA-37s ever wear the low viz roundel?

Here's the link to the detail shots on Tarangus' site:

https://www.tarangus.se/all-new-viggen-model/reference-gallery-ja37-viggen/

Petter Gul (the show bird with the two black chevrons on the upper fuselage) has low vis roundels on the wing undersides.

Additionally there were a small number of AJSF-37 Viggens that were modified as to be NATO interoperable that included english language stencils and low vis roundels as part of the SWAFRAP construct.

Cheers,

Hoops

• Thanks 1