Mike's slightly better than last year output

Mike

After finishing zero models last year (I think?  Or was that 2016?) I've managed a few this year.  There was a bit of a weighting toward the front of the year, with the last one stretching from April to yesterday (the shame!) and failing to complete it as a GB entry :crying:Anyway, without further adieu (I know it's supposed to be ado, but I see that written seriously so often that it tickles me), I give you my 2018 output:

This was a little resin kit of the little-known (to me at least) Swedish FFVS J-22A 1:48 from Planet Models (Special Hobby) that I built after reviewing it, and really enjoyed myself.  It was all OOB, and pretty easy going IIRC.  Build thread here.

ffvs_j-22a_1.jpg

ffvs_j-22a_3.jpg

ffvs_j-22a_4.jpg

ffvs_j-22a_6.jpg

After that I undertook a dual build of a couple of Eduard's excellent Fw.190s from their Royal Class boxing, which I used a fair amount of their aftermarket on.  I did one as a European machine, the other as a desert bird.  Build thread here.

complete1.jpg

complete3.jpg

complete4.jpg

complete6.jpg

The other one stalled near the finishing post, and got a little damaged in an accident with a BB gun, which swiped off one of its gear legs :owww: It's easily salvageable, I've just not had the time nor inclination as yet, but it would be a shame to waste all that effort.  Here's the last pic of it with its sibling before it became a bit "abandoned" :blush:

topside9.jpg

After those two it was on to doing a build of the (then new) Dora Wings P-63E KingCobra, in 1:48.  Is there any other scale? :wicked: This was a short(ish) run kit from a new manufacturer, so it was a little more taxing than your average shake-and-bake mainstream kit, but it was still fun.  Build thread here.

complete1.jpg

complete3.jpg

complete5.jpg

complete6.jpg

Then we get to April/May and everything starts to slow down.  I started this Hobby Boss 262 for the STGB we had earlier in the year, but DNF and carried on at my own glacial place.  I also added a T-Stoff wagen into the mix, as I really liked the pic of one towing a prototype, but decided against trying to replicate it 100%, so left off the tarps over the nose, the missing cowlings, FOD guards and firemen, as I only have so much time, skill and patience ^_^ It came out pretty well in the end though, and I'm really proud of it even though it wouldn't win any competitions.  It also highlighted the fact that I need a larger base.  Build thread here.

complete1.jpg

complete3.jpg

complete6.jpg

detail3.jpg

Unless I have a prolonged bout of insomnia, I doubt I'll finish anything else this year, but you never know.  Stranger things have happened at sea :shrug:

Thanks for all your comments, likes & general support over the year, and thanks also for being the best modelling forum on the internet :inlove:

• Like 39

Like them all (particularly the 262). But that little J-22A gets my vote; seems kinda cute and rather menacing all at the same time! Best wishes for Christmas and thanks for another great year on what is, without doubt, the most informative, helpful and civilised modelling forum out there!

• Thanks 1

Great work, Mike!

I wouldn't call your work slow. You've completed 6 1/48 models this year. I haven't finished my one 1/72 Hurricane yet and I started in January! Now that, me ol' son, is a glacial pace.

Chris

• Thanks 1

With sorting the Forum (among others) I am surprised you have time to build anything, nevermind turn out such quality.  Don't forget though that 1/72 is the Gentleman's scale...😉

• Thanks 1