Bentwaters F-16s

Lord Riot

At some point I'd like to make a 527 AS F-16 as based at Bentwaters, all too briefly, in the late 80s. I believe they were block 30 F-16Cs; can anyone tell me if there is a suitable 1/48 kit to represent one?

Would any F-16C kit do or are the different 'block' versions quite obviously different?

• Like 1

Hi

The 512th AS used stock Block 30 examples, small NSI intake but with the F110-GE engine. The best kit to use is the Tamiya F-16N boxing as it contains both these parts and is the most accurate. Maybe you can use the Tamiya Block 25 and an aftermarket exhaust if it comes with the appropriate rear adaptor 'doughnut' for the GE engine as this differs to the Pratt & Whitney F100.

You could also use Hasegawa and Kinetic kits but I'm not sure what comes in these boxings, there are so many different ones with variable sprue combinations, someone else will hopefully chip in for exact box contents concerning these.

In general IIRC the main specific things to get right for a  512th Block 30 are:

-Small mouth NSI intake

-F110-GE engine

-Early style wheels (Tamiya N has these, Brassin also do them if a little undersized-can be fixed and I think they are in some Hasegawa boxings)

-16S210 early wingtip and underwing launch rails-like on F-16A/B pre MLU (not AMRAAM compatible and also in the Tamiya N and Block 25/32 kits)

-Early gear set up with lights on the MLG gear legs and not on the front nose leg door

- Non bulged main gear bay doors. 

I think those are all the main ones, basically just build the Tamiya N kit from the box with the appropriate bits and you should have the best Block 30 in 1/48. I also have an early Ramstein based Block 30 F-16C planned and will go the Tamiya F-16N route. 

I hope that helps a bit, I think that covers it.

Cheers,

David. 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/12/2018 at 20:27, Boman said:

These are the decals - still available from Spruebrothers;
http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/afd48060.htm

Review found here: 
https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/decals/ab/decal_ab_48060.shtml

Brilliant, thanks for these Boman, I was wondering about the decals!

• 1 year later...

I'm revisiting this as I have finally acquired the decals for a reasonable price, but still no F-16C!

The Tamiya ones are always so pricey, so I was wondering does anyone if the Hasegawa 'F-16CJ Misawa Japan' would be a suitable kit, or are there serious differences between that and a block 32 F-16C?

How about the Revell 'Wild Weasel' F-16C kit? 

46 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

so I was wondering does anyone if the Hasegawa 'F-16CJ Misawa Japan' would be a suitable kit, or are there serious differences between that and a block 32 F-16C?

Block 50 -C, with bigger intake, mountpoints, antenna fit... 
I mean, it's still an F-16 but...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I'm revisiting this as I have finally acquired the decals for a reasonable price, but still no F-16C!

The Tamiya ones are always so pricey, so I was wondering does anyone if the Hasegawa 'F-16CJ Misawa Japan' would be a suitable kit, or are there serious differences between that and a block 32 F-16C?

How about the Revell 'Wild Weasel' F-16C kit? 

The "F-16CJ Misawa Japan" has the parts for the small mouth intake in the box as well, just marked as not for use.

Link at Hobby Search:

1/48 is not my scale, but this boxing of the Hasegawa kit should have all the parts that you need in it. It would not be as nice as the Tamiya kit, for sure, but you should still be able to build a nice representation.

Cheers,

Hoops

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally managed to find a decent 1/48 F-16C kit for about £30 on ebay, Hasegawa are always good, right?

It's a block 25, but then I read the Bentwaters Aggressors all had small mouth inlets, so it should be ok, shouldn't it? Kit is from the late 80s I think but doesn't have raised panel lines. Anyone built this version? Have I wasted my money?

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I finally managed to find a decent 1/48 F-16C kit for about £30 on ebay, Hasegawa are always good, right?

It's a block 25, but then I read the Bentwaters Aggressors all had small mouth inlets, so it should be ok, shouldn't it? Kit is from the late 80s I think but doesn't have raised panel lines. Anyone built this version? Have I wasted my money?

The kit itself is good, I fear for 100% accuracy you need GE engine nozzles. But check the sprues first!

Eduard, or Aires should have replacements, or some Britmodeller colleague!

• Like 1

This is the original F-16C boxing from Hasegawa, and the kit still holds up with new sprues in recent releases. But it only depicts a Block 25 (or 32 ;) ) wich has the PW engine. 

Bentwaters 527th agressor squadron flew the F-16C Block 30 which has the GE engine. The nozzles are different. You need to check if this kit contains Sprues H and L which contain the parts for the GE engine. The initial releases were pure Block 25, but later added part L4 which is only found on sprue L, hence you may well have all you need to build a Bentwaters agressor. 

As for assembly of the GE engine, you can find instructions here; 
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10220018/70/1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1