Monogram 1/48 Panther(with a touch of colour)

Hi folk's,another of my Grumman GB build's is Revell's re-boxing of Monogram's venerable Panther.When the kit arrived and I saw the Drone control

scheme I foolishly decided to do it and now never want to see yellow paint again! The kit fell together I replaced the way too light star and bar with

spares the kit decals are very matt and the fuselage 38 that go over the painted over camera's were a nightmare but with a touch up here and there

worked,onto Monogram's 1/48 Intruder now for the GB.

20181212_111305

20181212_111316

20181212_111329

20181212_111341

20181212_111358

20181212_111414

20181212_111448

20181212_111459

20181212_111509

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 55

Looks great, especially in that unusual scheme.

Why was the yellow so bad? I've had limited experience, but have had to deal with orange! What paints do you use?

Regards,

David 

• Like 1

Nice paint job on that Panther.

21 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Looks great, especially in that unusual scheme.

Why was the yellow so bad? I've had limited experience, but have had to deal with orange! What paints do you use?

Regards,

David 

Yellow is one of those colours like red very translucent so if you paint it over a very dark undercoat it takes a fair few coats to get it to the colour shade you want, I find the painting over a white base is better, but that could just be me.

• Like 3

Looks really nice - especially in this striking scheme.

I agree, yellow is a difficult colour. As you said, it requires a light base, preferably white -  and it always seems to take double effort to clean out the airbrush!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Many thank's folk's glad you liked it,to explain the comment on the yellow,I primed in Tamiya white then about four coat's of Mr.Hobby semi gloss yellow,

all was well then as I was painting part of the Undercarriage the wing tank ended up in some semi dry glue and in my panic I left a lovely gluey fingerprint

on the bottom wing which led to sanding,priming and re-painting and now a deep hatred of yellow!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, airbus320 said:

Wow that’s a beautiful Panther!! Love the utility scheme 👍

Can I ask what shade of paint you used for the grey? I’ve got an F6F-5K to do in these colours.

Chris

Hi Chris,as a renowned miser (the more money spent on paint the less there is for model's) I mix my own,the colour I believe should be engine gray

I used Tamiya ocean gray and added NATO black till it looked right to my eye anyway.