Bronze Tiger

goose

Tamiya X-34 metallic brown is a close match, but they don't have that in a spray can. Tamiya does have a copper in a spray (PS-14), but I haven't seen what that looks like in real life. They also have metallic orange (PS-61), but that looks more than a little light.

I've done the design for this year's Ghost Tiger 31+00 for the Bavarian Tigers and also had a chat with the designer of the Bronce Tiger at the airbase. I sadly can't tell you what model color you would have to use but according to the designer they used a color provided by Audi in Ingolstadt called "Pearl Orange Metallic" from Standox. Maybe that helps you a bit in your endeavour?

Edited by bushande
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/24/2018 at 3:37 PM, bushande said:

I've done the design for this year's Ghost Tiger 31+00 for the Bavarian Tigers and also had a chat with the designer of the Bronce Tiger at the airbase. I sadly can't tell you what model color you would have to use but according to the designer they used a color provided by Audi in Ingolstadt called "Pearl Orange Metallic" from Standox. Maybe that helps you a bit in your endeavour?

Congrats!

A great design!!

• Like 1

On 12/25/2018 at 5:02 PM, PhoenixII said:

NAH, he'll be down the local branch of Halfords!

No good halfords Worcester doesn't sell it

@goose, I feel a visit to Brum in your near future!

or go to the local AUDI dealers parts department,

On 12/20/2018 at 3:49 PM, goose said:

Spoken to a paint company in Worcester, they said they could mix it about £6 for half a litre can.

or take up the offer, at £6 for 500 mls, it'll probably be cheaper than AUDI.

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2018 at 2:26 PM, exdraken said:

Congrats!

A great design!!

Thanks for the praise. I'm aware it steared quite some controversy. Some seem to like it and some seem to flat out hate it (which is o.k. might I add). I'm still happy it had been received rather well all ina ll. Pity we couldn't make it come to RIAT though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bushande said:

Thanks for the praise. I'm aware it steared quite some controversy. Some seem to like it and some seem to flat out hate it (which is o.k. might I add). I'm still happy it had been received rather well all ina ll. Pity we couldn't make it come to RIAT though.

you can never please everyone!

there was a green Rafale relatively recently, and sure some Alien/Bones, etc. Gripens (and a Hind!) but I think the EF is special!

as far as I know the Tiger visited Austria last summer, so, in case it is still in its livery, maybe this year's Airpower 2019  airshow would be an oportunity???

2 more questions:

do you by any chance have info on decals in 1/48? Sylvain from Syhart would be the obviouse candidate, or maybe some German decals guy? 

next question, was the canopy frame always unpainted? (are the canopies changed that often to leave it that way from the beginning??)

thanks, 

Werner

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated! Don't want to permanently highjack the Bronze Tiger thread though but just to answer your questions:

Sadly the Ghost Tiger livery had to be removed prematurely already last September again. Originally it was planned to keep the livery till this April the least but sadly Luftwaffe command traded the schedule for the 3000 hrs inspection at Manching test centre with another machine that had only a few hours more left on the airframe before inspection and so it very suddenly had to enter the inspection cycle and hence had the stripes removed already last fall. Pity, but I am gratefull for the time it was on. Hence sadly no chance for an Airpower appeareance but there is a new Tiger in the works. This time it's just the tailfin though, i.e. a mini tiger if you will, because the airwing is skipping a full NTM participation in favor for Arctic Challenge and Frisian Flag. They do want to do a short weekend visit to the NTM though but this just justifies for a fin this year I'm afraid.

Regarding decals: We have been in talks with Revell and they do a 1/72 version coming out in March this year. I am in talks with HaHen for the other scales. Harald showed interest in doing everything that Revell isn't doing from 1/32 down to 1/144 but we are ust not sure yet if Revell really only want's to settle for 1/72 or plans to do another scale as well for the end of the year similar to what they did with the Bronze Tiger. That is why it is taking so long this time but I'm on it. (I do need those other scales as well you see hihihi ;-D  )

Regarding the grey canopy and the design in general. It was grey all the time right from the beginning but that was actually not intended this way. Not everything went right with applying my original design to the jet. Once I do a reference model I might as well do a WIP thread here at BM where I can explain a little more detailed for those that are interested. As said I don't want to highjack this thread anymore than I already did. Just that much: Originally it was intented to do a full airframe painting similar to the Bronze Tiger but Luftwaffe command has officially prohibited full scale paintings on their jets now. Hence foiling the jet is the only option left now and the Ghost Tiger was the biggest foiling attempt in the Luftwaffe so far. There are a lot of panels that are not to be foiled such as the panels before the canards or the canopy rail. The entire lower fuselage is an absolute nogo and the canards itself should not be foiled as well. They had some really bad experiences with that at Manching a few years back. Even the tanks are a sensitive issue with some examiners in the Luftwaffe. So I'm happy I actually got the entire upper half after all. The canards were intented completely different. I had design patterns for the entire canard plane but due to the lock on foiling the canards meant that they would have to be painted. I prompted that I would do it myself but a "professional" was called and the result was not very pleasing to put it mildly. As time was running out it was opted to paint the canards flat black and at least cut the eyes from my original design out and put them on as close to the prohibited edge on the canard as possible resulting in the infmous eye-sticker on the canards. I wanted to have the canopy at least partly sprayed black to match the shift in the layout on the airframe but sadly no chance by those people in power. Certainly not the ideal I planned but a weak save is better than none and it was all that was possible in what little time was left before public unveiling.

Perfection is reserved for god's heaven I guess hihihi 😄

Edited by bushande
  • Like 2