Airfix to Launch Anything over the Festive Period???

rob

The carrot eating for night vision, was a spoof played on the Germans to explain increased German losses, Hence Cat's Eyes Cunningham, which were down to the British introduction of Airborne Interception Radar. The depiction of the Lysander fuselage as a carrot shape might have roots (no pun intended) in a Wren recognition cartoon in Aeroplane Spotter.

John

• Like 2

I'm utterly underwhelmed with the Advent Calendar and indeed have stopped looking at it.  Airfix should never have created it in the first place.

It's almost as if they are embarrassed to announce what/how little is coming.  'More than last year' (only the Hunter) I was told but probably no more than 2, 3 or at the most 4 genuinely new subjects.

The good news is that they are up to their full quota of designers, which means that we will can look forward to 2020!  Just hope that they don't do another Advent Calendar for it unless they have sufficient and worthwhile subjects for it as in the past.

• Like 2

Some people seem to be having some difficulty distinguishing between an Advent Calendar and the presents under the tree 😜  My sincere apologies (and sympathy) to anyone whose only Christmas presents are 24x 1" square pictures, or at best small chocolate shapes, but the rest of us are waiting for the "Big Day" (which in this case sounds like it's in early Jan). Don't underestimate how badly burned Airfix marketing folks were by the clever-clogs' who reverse engineered all the reveals out of the calendars a few years back. They'd be mad to put any serious news or announcements in it these days, and they haven't...

best,

M.

• Like 7

Wholeheartedly agree with Matt @cmatthewbacon above.

Strikes me, this has more than a little of "what's in it for me?"

rather than thinking of the people at Hornby who have pulled this together, as a marketing exercise, with a few goodies thrown in. 

The 'new' Airfix M.D. said, early in his tenure, there would be a rolling release program. Guess what? that's exactly what is happening. We now know when the first 'new' announcement will be made, 7-1-19. So, it's a case of 'eat, drink and be merry' and with Christmas done and dusted, the hangover should be waning by then too! we'll be in a fitter state to, read, take in and inwardly digest. Merry Christmas to all!! :santa:

• Like 4

As above it’s just a marketing campaign to drive social media engagement on various platforms via a few give aways and they keep that reasonably low cost by restricting participation to the UK which is the primary market.

running a teaser campaign within this while interesting and generating lots of commentary. Supposes you have something to tease.. By running this social media campaign  now you drive engagement prior to Christmas and by having the releases early in the new year you sustain that interest over Christmas and into the new year.

its just savvy marketing. No good however if you have set your Christmas period on guessing the new release and discussing it in detail. But it’s not really correct to say the current campaign is underwhelming it’s working fine...weee looking and discussing it. Which is the metric of success.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Advent Calendar is nothing more than an embarrassment.  I think that the company has bigger problems to deal with at the present time.  Once again, they have slipped on delivery times and that has to impact upon sales and, ultimately, profitability.  My personal view is that they should have got the Hunter to the retail market before the Blenheim, as there were more sales there.  Both should have been available at Telford, in an ideal world.

I really want Airfix to survive.  There current range of kits are good, if still below Tamiya / Eduard quality in terms of detail and quality of moulding.  I am sure that management are under intense pressure and I can only sympathise, but the supply chain is key.  You have to get new product to market as soon as possible.  If it is stuck in a container, you can't sell it.

• Like 1

"Airfix to Launch Anything over the Festive Period???"

Answer: NO, except if you consider Monday 7th January at 2pm as over the festive season.

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/2018-another-model-year-for-airfix

New Airfix range for early January

We are afraid that this is all we have for you in this special end of year review edition of our blog. It has been a real pleasure to bring you all the latest news, features and exclusives from the fascinating world of Airfix modelling throughout the year and we look forward to much more during 2019. One of the exciting initiatives we are planning is to offer Workbench readers the opportunity to have their say on which new model toolings they would like to see joining the Airfix line up in a future range. We always receive plenty of suggestions from modellers over the Telford weekend, but we are looking to open this up to the worldwide readership of workbench during 2019 and we are really looking forward to seeing which suggestions come out on top. Watch out for more details about this early in the new year.

There can be no finer way to sign off any annual review blog than by letting everyone know that we will be starting the new year with the announcement of a new Airfix model range, which is due to go live on the Airfix website at 2pm on Monday 7th January. Although we are clearly not in a position to give you any details at this point, we can confirm the exciting news that the latest range will feature several new model tooling projects, a nice little exclusive scoop to leave you with as we say goodbye to 2018. All that remains now, is for us to wish all our readers a safe, happy and enjoyable New Year’s celebration and we look forward to seeing you all back here in 2019, where we will start the year with a host of new Airfix models. Once again, thank you for your fantastic support during 2018 and Happy New Year to you all.

V.P.

As this thread is really going no where and its not really a rumour more of a complaint I will close it and we can have a new one when Airfix make their announcement.

Julien

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Julien locked this topic