As the decals are only applied to three positions, both front mudguards and the tailgate, these are the only places that I applied varnish to, namely Daler Rowney Artist's Acrylic Gloss Varnish, by brush. I left it for 24 hours to harden before tackling the decals. I'm not a big fan of Tamiya decals, unless they are being applied to a completely flat surface, as they can be a PITA because of their thickness, when trying to get them to conform to an uneven surface. And this was the problem that I had. The tailgate has diagonal bars crossing it and it took a lot of setting solution and much pressing down with tissue before they behaved. The mudguards were an even bigger problem due to the fact that they are a convex shape. The only way that I could get them to sit down on the surface was to cut them with a sharp blade. Again, a lot of setting solution and pressing with a tissue. Finally, they were all sealed in with Daler Rowney's Matt varnish and left for 24 hours to dry thoroughly.

96a62a3f-f986-4eae-8889-58883fd31e5e.JPG

4ead0e3d-80b3-4ce6-9ba0-268b6971e87b.JPG

01f5c2e6-5e01-4403-996e-3a119792a53b.JPG

I didn't want to go OTT with the weathering, just a dusty rather than a dirty appearance, consistent with how it possibly was where the 51st (Highland) Division was stationed in Italy. So I applied Mig's Tan Filter to the roof of the tilt which dried to a nice dusty look. One thing that surprised me though with this filter was that far from being thin like most filters, it was almost as thick as paint. Still, it served it's purpose. Mig's dark wash was applied to the floor of the cargo area and the tailgate. To the rear of each wheel arch, I brushed on some Carr's yellow powder and some Mig's European dust and some Carr's black around the shadow areas. The tailgate was added in the lowered position along with a couple of micro retaining chains. The bonnet was also glued in place in the open position, held up by a stay made from stainless steel rod.

b54bbc87-90cd-47ba-a279-54f8afd215b6.JPG

73ca99f2-ff82-46f3-abbd-017c18471a4d.JPG

56c588b2-fb8c-457d-ac2e-e01191224982.JPG

There's not a lot more that I want to do to this, apart from adding some stowage in the back, a driver, finding something suitable for the reflective part of the wing mirror that won't snap the arm off when I attach it, and finally making a suitable base. So the next time that you see this will hopefully be in RFI.

Thanks for looking.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

There's not a lot more that I want to do to this, apart from adding some stowage in the back, a driver, finding something suitable for the reflective part of the wing mirror that won't snap the arm off when I attach it, and finally making a suitable base. So the next time that you see this will hopefully be in RFI.

Fantastic little build John, if you're looking for a figure could I suggest this chap from Ultracast (UC35051):

35051.jpg

Taking a thoughtful tab break before resuming the task of fixing his wagon

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gorby said:

That's amazing!

15 hours ago, Ilan said:

Very nice work! 

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Superb miniature !

Kev

Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated. I forgot to mention that although I bought a set of wheels from SKP, I didn't use them in the end, due to the fact that once I'd cleaned out the lightening holes in the wheels, I wasn't happy with the appearance as they were too large. So I ended up using the kit versions as the wheels look better.It's just the tyre tread that is almost nonexistent. Still, it gives them a worn look.

John.

16 hours ago, Richard E said:

Fantastic little build John, if you're looking for a figure could I suggest this chap from Ultracast (UC35051):

35051.jpg

Taking a thoughtful tab break before resuming the task of fixing his wagon

Many thanks Richard, and thanks for the suggestion of the figure but I'm using the driver from the kit. I'm carrying out some drastic surgery on him so that he appears to be about to exit the vehicle. Fingers crossed.

John.

14 hours ago, Hamden said:

Absolutely stunning result John Like that a lot!

What's next

'Morning Roger, and thank you. Next will probably Academy's Magach 6B Gal Batash to coincide with the Pattern group build, although I have a bad habit of never finishing what I start where GB's are concerned.

John. 

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Super result - very individual.  Nicely weathered and those tailgate chains are enviably small - dare I ask ?  where do we get some?

Rob

Thanks Rob. The chains are produced by The Tank Workshop. You can get them direct from their site, but I got mine at Telford a couple of years ago, but sorry, I can't remember the dealer. The ones that I've used on the Tilly are medium chains. I believe that they do a finer set than those.

John.

42 minutes ago, vaoinas said:

Beautiful work, you have done with this.
Makes me wanna build a Tilly myself.

Thanks Vaoinas. Yes, it was a very enjoyable build, and I intend to build some more in the future. I definitely want to do a Royal Engineers bomb disposal vehicle with the red mudguards. 

John.

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Nicely weathered and those tailgate chains are enviably small - dare I ask ?  where do we get some?

I got some recently - there are loads available on the bay of evilness:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=MODEL+RAILWAY+fine+chain&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=MODEL+fine+chain&_sacat=0

• Like 1

On 04/02/2019 at 16:52, Kris B said:

Nice, so I am waiting for the RFI topic. 

Thanks Chris. Hopefully it won't take too long to get it into RFI. Once the driver has recovered from his major surgery, and I make a base.

John.

On 05/02/2019 at 05:21, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Aluminum Foil ? 

Hi Dennis. It's not so much the material, but the ability to be able to cut a perfect circle that small.

John.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Silenoz said:

I tried a liquid chrome pen on my AML... worked out pretty nice...

Very nice model by the way... Maybe some load in the rear perhaps? 

All the added details really pay off, certainly the engine and tarp...

Thanks for the comments. The pen sounds like a good idea, only I don't have one at the moment. Yes, there will be some stowage in the back, some kit and a couple of jerry cans.

John.

12 minutes ago, Vicarage Vee said:

Would it be feasible to make the mirror surface with silver repair tape and a small punch block?  Maybe punch it silver side down?  That 'should' give a neat edge and could be gently burnished onto the mirror.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try  number of approaches and see what looks best. What I don't want to end up doing is painting it silver, because it just looks like........silver paint.

John.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, but as I said, I'm not short of suitable material, but the means to cut a perfect circle about 2mm in diameter. I've got a decal sheet of chrome, plus a KitKat wrapper, both of which will do the job. I'll just have to fabricate a suitable sized punch.

John.