On 04/01/2019 at 08:39, Ilan said:

Very nice work so far!

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Super little job, love the extra details going on 

Thank you both for the comments.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

All parts were primed with Halfords acrylic grey primer car spray from a rattle can. The version that I had chosen to do was the one from the 51st (Highland) Infantry Division and this would be SCC2 Brown and SCC14 Black for the Mickey Mouse camouflage. I had MIG's Smart Set for the British ETO colours, 1939-45 which contained the SCC2. Two thin coats were airbrushed on and then it was put aside to dry.

5d911331-f071-456e-acd1-bd70e0abcbca.JPG

Before assembling all of the parts and before applying the black cammo, there was some detail painting that needed doing. I painted the engine block with Tamiya XF5 Flat Green and then picked out the wiring, fan belt and other small parts with black. The seats were painted with a dark tan colour and when it was all dry everything was given a brown wash. Before fixing the seats in place, I dry brushed them with a lighter tan. Last job was to add the two instrument decals.

70d40e6b-1dfe-454e-913b-69affef409bd.JPG

026158de-c82b-4469-94c0-c9eee15d9906.JPG

.........and starting to come together.

2768b43f-0efd-4dd7-acff-15ee2ab79c80.JPG

69f484d1-2ebc-4415-ae13-deb56f4cd626.JPG

Next up will be the tilt and the tie down ropes.

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 12

16 hours ago, Hamden said:

Coming together nicely, looking forward to more of the same

Roger

14 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Looking great so far John love all the details :popcorn:

Beefy 

14 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up John.

Liking the colour. I have the AK Real Colour SCC2 which looks far too orangey red but the AK stuff looks spot on :like:

Regards

Steve

I appreciate the comments. Many thanks. I usually use Mike Starmer's Tamiya mix for the SCC2, but I compared the two finishes together and there doesn't appear to be any difference, so I'm happy with the Mig paint.

John.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Nice paint job John - that SCC2 looks Good.  Such a hard colour to get right.

And nice seats by the way!

Rob

Thanks Rob. As I said earlier, when I compared the finish to the one where I'd used Mike Starmer's mix, I was pleased with the result. One reason why I didn't use the Tamiya mix this time was that I knew that I would have to do some touching up of the paint work, and I don't like brushing Tamiya paint, especially when it's a mixture.

John.

PS. Thank for the PM and the link.

Edited by Bullbasket

I threaded the tie down string through the holes in the bottom of the tilt and then gently eased it into place on the cargo section. To fix it in place, I ran some thin super glue around the inside of the tilt.

Unfortunately, the Mig Smart Set doesn't contain the SCC14, so I used Vallejo's Model Air NATO Black. The thought of masking off all of those “ears” didn't fill me with deep joy, so instead of spraying, I brush painted the black, after first lightly drawing in the pattern with a soft lead pencil. Two thin coats and I was satisfied with the result.

d1c4bf9b-4812-49d1-b59d-4c4362565cfc.JPG

16a3c491-1db7-4bf6-b5e7-b8905b2fe390.JPG

6f84fbea-cfe4-4f6a-a3ce-77f9615f3442.JPG

It's ready now for some gloss varnish and then the decals. Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

This has really come together now. The camouflage looks spot on too me!

Roger  

3 hours ago, vaoinas said:

Looks really beautiful in its funny looking camouflage.

Thanks to you both for the comments. I have to say that I quite like the Mickey Mouse ears camouflage. The next Tilly will be a bit simpler though. RE Bomb Disposal colours.

John.

3 hours ago, patmaquette said:

This is looking brilliant. It will look ace with the wheels on.

Pat

Thanks Pat. The wheels will probably be the last things to go on as the attachment points are a little on the weak side, especially the front ones. I cut them off and reattached them to allow the wheels to steer to the right.

John.

21 hours ago, phildagreek said:

That looks really good, you've really brought a simple little kit to life.

12 hours ago, s.e.charles said:

nicely done

Thanks a lot, both of you.

John.

Looking good John That canvas cover looks just right.

Yes steerable wheels are nice, if one can get them to stay put. Most of mine end up with severe camber

and the vehicle sort of sags in the middle. I've tried using metal rods to fix the wheels to  the axles but

it's a chore and doesn't look good most times.

Take care,

Lloyd

19 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

Yes steerable wheels are nice, if one can get them to stay put. Most of mine end up with severe camber

and the vehicle sort of sags in the middle. I've tried using metal rods to fix the wheels to  the axles but

it's a chore and doesn't look good most times.

Many thanks Lloyd. I read a magazine article where someone had done the same, ie; cut the front stubs and reattached them at an angle. He said that the joints were very weak and his answer to the problem was to glue the wheels in place and then cover the joints with super glue. I'll probably take that route.

John.