13 hours ago, Soeren said:

All this pewter work is exceptionaly nice. What product is that?

Pewter foil. It's similar to lead foil only better, something like the foil that you get on a bottle of wine. It can be cut with a knife or scissors and moulded into different shapes. As I said to Francis, google Pewter Foil. There are many sites, such as Amazon who are selling it.

John.

10 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up John,

Fantastic work happening here. The pewter foil and tilt are exceptional!

Regards

Steve 

Many thanks Steve. I was a trial, but worth it.

John.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kris B said:

Nice work John. All those foil replacement looks super. What is this foil? 

Thanks Chris. Pewter foil is similar to the foil that you get around the neck of a wine bottle. I bought a sheet of it at Telford a couple of years ago, but you can buy it on line. Just google Pewter Foil.

John.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

A purse and a sow's ear and all that stuff........

Looking great so far John, should be a little gem when complete.

Take care,

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd. I hop so.

John.

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

It's a lovely little model and you are doing more than justice to it John

I too love the Pewter foil - I'll be taking some of that!!  Thanks for the tip

Keep it coming

Rob

Thanks Rob. Yes, it is good stuff, an very malleable too.

John.

A combination of no internet connection for nearly a week and a little thing called Christmas meant that I've posted no updates for a while, so this is where I am with this now.

Most of the build jobs are complete now with a few exceptions. As I intended to display the model with the bonnet open, the engine bay needed some additions. Using 5amp fuse wire, I added four spark plug leads………

2b891e9c-5587-47e7-a4f2-b14a67f3c62e.JPG

……. and with a combination of 5amp and 15amp wire, I added a rudimentary loom to the rear of the bay. I also added a positive and negative lead to the batteries. The bracket for the shovel was removed and replaced with one made from pewter foil before gluing it in place on the rear of the roof.

69609f36-12f4-479c-8b29-d5485b6a1615.JPG

Tamiya doesn't include any wing mirrors, so I made one from a spare lens with 20thou rod glued to the back.

8ac9d2d8-0fc1-4701-b3f6-343648cc475b.JPG

Finally, four cleats were required so that the ropes of the tilt can be tied off. I made these from plastic rod, bent to shape and glued in place.

38791ee9-f3ca-48d2-9640-cda0f8d31ada.JPG

21bcdfaa-f0c1-4a16-91e6-a71f7b438f83.JPG

That's about it as far as the build is concerned, so the next job will be to get some paint onto the various parts.

John.

• Like 10

Great work on the Tilly. The improvements you’ve made with the foil are great, it really adds to the look. And as ever your little additional details bring it to life. Is the bonnet going to be open when you’re finished?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

Great work on the Tilly. The improvements you’ve made with the foil are great, it really adds to the look. And as ever your little additional details bring it to life. Is the bonnet going to be open when you’re finished?

Read ~41 . . .  . there is a clue

• Like 1

I love this kit, its a really nice change from all the bang bang stuff :) I built one many moons ago and left the tilt off and just scratch built the frame and filled the cargo bay with stuff :) 

Its good that it comes with a driver figure - really annoys me when trucks etc don't have a driver :D

I like the details you are adding, will really bring it to life!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Thanks a lot. Yes, providing I don't make a hash of painting the engine bay.

John.

2 hours ago, Kallisti said:

I love this kit, its a really nice change from all the bang bang stuff :) I built one many moons ago and left the tilt off and just scratch built the frame and filled the cargo bay with stuff :) 

Its good that it comes with a driver figure - really annoys me when trucks etc don't have a driver :D

I like the details you are adding, will really bring it to life!

Thanks for the comments. Although it comes with a driver figure, I may not use it unless I can perform drastic surgery on it as I want the figure to be sanding beside the vehicle.

I'll probably build at least another one of these as I fancy doing one in the colours of a Royal Engineers bomb disposal vehicle, only next time it will be more OOTB.

John.