Just doing a bit of a photo search to determine wing root details and from the looks of it this B1 (and probably OO-TEF as well) didn't have the Krueger Flap?  

Can anyone verify this or have a photo that proves it did have it?  

Edited by Rob S

On 12/23/2018 at 2:30 PM, Rob S said:

Just doing a bit of a photo search to determine wing root details and from the looks of it this B1 (and probably OO-TEF as well) didn't have the Krueger Flap?  

Can anyone verify this or have a photo that proves it did have it?  

G'day Rob!

No, the B1 did not have Krueger flaps. They were introduced with the B2-200.

Scott.

• Thanks 1

Many Thanks Scotty for confirming they didn't have them.  

I have to go away to a Site for Work so this has to go on the back burner for a while.  Hopefully when I come back to it I won't have any silly ideas of dropping any Flaps or Slats.  (Unless of course someone else has done it and I can try and shamelessly copy what they did?)  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK briefly Home for a couple of days before going away again and here's a bit of a mystery for someone to hopefully solve.  

I found an image of this decal

32769666638_b4c4758d36.jpg  

Does anyone know who did it and if it is still available and if so where can I buy one (or two if I stuff it up!)?  

Edited by Rob S

That looks like its from a range of decals that were produced under the title Brasil Decals (no idea where they were from...?). Hannants sold them years ago and may in fact have become their sole distributor but things went wrong and they went out of production with a rather bad reputation.

The whole company may or may not be linked to a Polish producer called modelsalexander or something like that. They have a terrible reputation (but some really nice looking schemes) so stay well away.

As for the decals you've shown above, they appear on a very regular basis on eBay offered by a seller from Brasil called Kosciuv.

I've bought from him in the past and very recently and he is on forums, so not hiding away. I've no idea where he's getting the decals from but they generally are missing one or two sheets such as windows or wing details, that kind of thing but the main parts of the decal are there and the colour guides appear to be photcopies of the original; read his eBay listing carefully as what you see is what you get.

Hope this helps?

Jeff

Edited to add, the different cockpit decals on the sheet shown are from the fact that Brasil Decals offered big sheets with many different aircraft and airlines all included on each set. They were expensive at the time (about 15 odd years ago and costing something like £15 whereas as standard sheet would be about £5). I bought loads then and still keep an eye on Kosciuvs listing on eBay .

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

As for the decals you've shown above, they appear on a very regular basis on eBay offered by a seller from Brasil called Kosciuv.

Contacted him (or her) but unfortunately sold out.  

I'll keep looking as getting the feeling I might do OO-TEF at some stage that is if I ever finish this one.  Which will then beg the Question "Having done 001 and 002 will I be tempted to do 003 the first B2?"  

Maybe as it certain;y paraded around in a few schemes.  

10 hours ago, Rob S said:

Contacted him (or her) but unfortunately sold out.  

Just for the record it's a him. Guilherme is or was a member of Britmodeller and as far as I'm concerned he's the only trustworthy source of Brasil/Gio Decals.  He is always quite clear if a sheet is incomplete.  I've bought from him several times and always been completely satisfied.

Enjoying the build and looking forward to further progress.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 8:18 AM, Rob S said:

Which will then beg the Question "Having done 001 and 002 will I be tempted to do 003 the first B2?"  

Maybe as it certain;y paraded around in a few schemes.  

Finally back home again and just looking at a few photos of 003 and as far as I can tell it had al least three schemes ; 

Demonstrator

Demonstrator/Zero G

Novespace Zero G

Anyone know of any others?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 8:05 PM, Gimme Shelter said:

... - bet its made a lot of dust...

After knowing of a local Modeller who died of a particular form of Lung Cancer (that could only be related to particle inhalation and not smoking as he wasn't a Smoker or second hand Smoker) this is one reason why I use Wet n Dry wet and wash all parts so that there is no dust floating around to inhale.  

After all I have to live to a Gallizion to have any chance of starting - let alone finishing - the kits in my "Stash"!  

11 hours ago, Rob S said:

After knowing of a local Modeller who died of a particular form of Lung Cancer (that could only be related to particle inhalation and not smoking as he wasn't a Smoker or second hand Smoker) this is one reason why I use Wet n Dry wet and wash all parts so that there is no dust floating around to inhale.  

After all I have to live to a Gallizion to have any chance of starting - let alone finishing - the kits in my "Stash"!  

too true, too true!

On 1/22/2019 at 10:34 PM, Rob S said:

Still looking for that decal sheet too by the way.  Will have to get Posting to get my Posts over 100 so I can post in the "Wanted to Buy" section!  

Whoo hoo!  Finally reached the "ton".  (Dips me Cap and waves Bat to the screaming Crowd!)  

Hope I'm in luck.  Someone must have one or two ...  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK found some useful information (a couple of Airbus Manuals) and some more useful photos (especially of Flaps ans Slats deployed) on line so hoping to get back to this one on the weekend.  

In the mean time big shout out to Ian @Turbofan for supplying the following

47015152552_eecf693787_b.jpg  

which will enable this one to have a Windscreen and - if I don't stuff up the wings that I've got in this kit and have to use these as back up - wings for the future "BAC 3.11" project (as well as some spare Airfix noses which slightly fixed up might find their way onto a couple of Revell A310s seeing it's nose isn't the greatest).  Big thanks Ian!  

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 4

good luck there -

reflecting back through the WIP pictures, I do so love watching a good bit of plastic surgery and cut-n-shut work underway. The end result should look great.

IT has been a long time since I first opened one of the old Airfix sky-king kits back in the 70-'s but is it my imagination or does their plastic get shiny with age? The white plastic looks like it was polished when originally packed back in the day. I have an old Airfix Big Orange Braniff 747 moulded in Orange and I almost needed sunglasses to look at it when last opening the box. 😎

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

I have an old Airfix Big Orange Braniff 747 moulded in Orange and I almost needed sunglasses to look at it when last opening the box. 😎

I've actually got one of those too but shamefully I'll have to admit I've never had the time to look at it!  

Must make the time next time I'm rummaging through that particular packing box.  

• 1 month later...

Wow long time since last post!  

In the meantime with no luck finding the Brasil Decals TEA Sheet I heard from Laurent who had done the artwork for various TEA A300s so Australian Pesos got converted to no use to Brexiteer Euros and lo and behold these arrived soon after

40627479853_f4315c4ec8_b.jpg  

Many thanks to Laurent and definitely motivated to maybe chop up another A300 to make B1 MSN002 to represent OO-TEF or maybe as below just an A300 out of the box for their B4.  

Now I've just spent an hour and a half sanding this first one back. A combination of warpage, "flaring" of the fuselage mating surfaces, and of course shrinkage of the filler means lots more filling and sanding to do before it's anywhere near acceptable. 

Seriously thinking of digging out another A300 and building it as an A300 just to see if it has the same warpage and "flaring" issues as this one.  Other than that I can only assume that this particular moulding is a bit of a "lemon" or that somehow one half of the fuselage is slightly bigger than the other on this particular moulding?  

• Like 2

OK managed to upload some photos as obviously if no photographic evidence then it never happened ...  

After hitting the dormant Fuselage Halves with a light coat of Gloss White to show up discontinuities better than just looking at the Grey Primer

47614544631_6c7d79f22c_b.jpg

47561645342_d5d74353b2_b.jpg  

And yes there were lots of them : Windows "in" and "out" obviously owing to the tape holding the epoxy in being convex or concave; "scalloping" of the Doors and Hatches that were glued in and not filled enough or the Filler has shrunk or both; and of course the "flaring" and/or "mismatch" of the Fuselage Halves.  

So after the sanding session (yet another one!) (Please excuse the poor staging of the photo as was in a bit of a hurry) : 

32672208207_5c7cf68582_b.jpg  

32672208527_55bd831db9_b.jpg  

And as you can see the contrast between the Plastic, the Primer, and the Gloss White clearly shows the "ups" and "downs" and "ins" and "outs" that means back to Filling and Sanding until it might be presentable enough to continue.  

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 3

So after two more rounds of filling and sanding and priming and sanding again it looked like this : 

32700360617_44d22ca125_b.jpg  

In addition to working on the whoops and ridges I took the opportunity of giving it a bit of a Nose job by rounding the Nose Cone, taking a bit off the underside ahead of the Front Undercarriage Bay (which has to be moved forward at least 3 mm), and adding a bit to the Cockpit Roof.  

So it didn't look too bad so I hit it with a different brand of Acrylic Gloss White to show up any flaws and it looked like this : 

32700361447_50ded88354_b.jpg  

My comment about this different (cheaper suffice to say) brand is I'm sticking with the first brand of Acrylic Gloss White I used as this one was a bit spitty and gluggy coming out of the Can and it stank to high heaven!  

So now it looks like this (again apologies for the poorly staged photos) : 

32700362257_fff792f1bc_b.jpg  

33765365158_6f2fab8163_b.jpg  

Which I can't see any obvious flaws on (and it's going to have more rounds of filling and sanding anyway when it gets glued together) so on to the next stage in the Instructions and maybe even a little bit of work on some of the other bits and pieces like Engines and Undercarriage for a change.  

• Like 2