1/72 Revell Panzer IV ausf H +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Liking the look of the cammo steve!  Nice job!

Tools painted last night - gloss coat tonight and some decal action too hopefully...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BIG X said:

Tools painted last night - gloss coat tonight and some decal action too hopefully...

Quick question - what do you find best for matting it down again after the gloss coat? I used some Mig ammo matt varnish here and there on my build but it didn't make a lot of difference. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Churchill said:

Quick question - what do you find best for matting it down again after the gloss coat? I used some Mig ammo matt varnish here and there on my build but it didn't make a lot of difference. 

Hi Churchy - I use Winsor & Newton Galeria Matt Varnish.  In the beginning I tried loads of different brands - airfix / tamiya / vallejo etc - but they all seemed to dry a little 'white'.  Then some kind sole on here recommended  the W&N stuff and it is brilliant in my opinion.  It dries crystal clear and is 'dead matt'.  It airbrushes like a dream too.

hope that helps - Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well things should all be completed by tomorrow - and not a moment too soon as the cave is looking a right mess...

IMG-5218.jpg

I've enjoyed my first German vehicles and the Tricolour in particular - so much so - I've ordered some more dunkelgelb as I  fancy a go at some STUGS next...

REV101.jpg

anyway - progress - again the last of the decal are done...

REV100.jpg

I also got the black wash done - along with a rusty reddy brown for all the tracks on each build...

REV103.jpg

So now I have six turret...

REV104.jpg

and six hulls...

REV105.jpg

They have all had their Normandy dust coats - to tone down the paint jobs - except the Revell on the left - where the skirts are still drying after being glued to the hull.  Dusting it down will be the last job before the final matt varnish - probably tomorrow morning.

Its been quite a project...

I hope you'll pop back to see the finished articles - Steve

• Like 8

Well Sunday started ever so well - the hulls and the turrets got their final matt varnish coat...

IMG-5225.jpg

IMG-5226.jpg

...even the tank commanders were getting excited...

IMG-5227.jpg

...and then - DISASTER STRUCK.  As I tried to marry the turret to the hull of the Revell - SNAP...

IMG-5228.jpg

I managed to glue it back together - but it looks a mess.  Then deciding the skirt was too fragile to wrestle the turret with I decided to use the barrel for leverage - PING...

IMG-5229.jpg

...it's enough to drive you round the twist :doh:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

After a lot of messing around I finally got everything finished - eh voila - 6 Panzers...

REV117.jpg

Now for the tricky bit - making look half decent in close up :lol: - so I've been having a play...

REV118.jpg

REV119.jpg

REV120.jpg

I'm calling them all complete now and I'll pop some pictures in the gallery over the next few days.

My hat comes off to all those who cram so much detail and finesse into these tiny tanks.

Thanks for all the comments and support - Steve

• Like 8

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Revell Panzer IV ausf H +++COMPLETED+++
2 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Typical - you wait ages for 1 then 6 turn up at once....😆

VERY nice work there mate! 👍

Thanks mate - I'm just glad I dragged them all over the finish line in the end.  To say I 'over stretched myself' is a bit of an understatement - I don't think I'll try that again - this is supposed to be fun after all.  Time to sit back now and admire the work of the bigger boys.

• Like 3

Call that man cave untidy? I wish my desk in my garage was that untidy then :cwl:.

Brilliant job with this one, despite the odd mishap.

Liking the photography too :yes:

I sense a german armour column to take on the 11th Armoured might be pending. Are you in for the tiger GB?

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badger said:

I sense a german armour column to take on the 11th Armoured might be pending. Are you in for the tiger GB?

All the best

Ben

FIGHT - FIGHT - FIGHT - As they used to say in the playground...  well at least in the playground where I went to school.  We could be in for a bit of a battle as I have 3 King Tigers -  waiting in the wings.  Whether I join the Tiger GB is doubtful - I've had a bit of 'grief' from that direction - so I just build them for fun - on my own.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Whether I join the Tiger GB is doubtful - I've had a bit of 'grief' from that direction - so I just build them for fun - on my own.

Sounds a bit ominous?

Do you need back up from the rest of team tiny panzer? :boxing: Cause my dad is bigger than their dad and used to be in the army!!

All the best

Ben

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, badger said:

Sounds a bit ominous?

Do you need back up from the rest of team tiny panzer? :boxing: Cause my dad is bigger than their dad and used to be in the army!!

All the best

Ben

I'll PM you about it...  not everyone on here is as nice as they should be - enough said...

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

FIGHT - FIGHT - FIGHT - As they used to say in the playground...  well at least in the playground where I went to school

Yep, my playground too, with me rolling around on the floor sometimes too😛, ah the good old days eh Steve, we hated it when we were there, and missed it when it all ended, the pint sized panzer brigade looks so cool, really a top job, as for the tiger gb we'll form a tiny tiger division to take on the experten in they're own back yard, what ya say😋

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, BIG X said:

FIGHT - FIGHT - FIGHT - As they used to say in the playground...  well at least in the playground where I went to school.  We could be in for a bit of a battle as I have 3 King Tigers -  waiting in the wings.  Whether I join the Tiger GB is doubtful - I've had a bit of 'grief' from that direction - so I just build them for fun - on my own.

I hate to quote myself - but when I get something wrong I'm the first to admit it.

I GOT IT WRONG!!!

Due to my failing eyesight I misread something & I'm now delighted to say I will be causing a nuisance of myself in the Tiger GB

Thanks @PlaStix for helping to clear it up.

• Like 3