1/72 Revell Panzer IV ausf H +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

I'm sure this bit is everyone's favourite part of the build...

REV055.jpg

REV056.jpg

REV057.jpg

REV062.jpg

REV064.jpg

Another top tip from @badger was using a ruler yo make sure the wheels line up - thanks mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Putting me to shame - I've only made up one sides worth of road wheels so far 😭

Nice to see the ruler trick worked. I'll be employing that myself when I get to that stage.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

I set to work on the sprockets...

REV063.jpg

and both sides are now complete...

REV067.jpg

I added these hook thingies too...

REV068.jpg

The sprockets and idlers are on - but not stuck - so I can swivel them to hopefully make the tracks fit.

On the top of the hull I fitted the basket for the spare wheels...

REV069.jpg

REV070.jpg

Three very fiddly pieces that I reckon could be moulded as one piece.

Now can you see what I fitted here???

REV071.jpg

...no???  I thought not - try again...

REV072.jpg

yes - the world's smallest and insignificant 'blob' of plastic.  I reckon it is an aerial mount - super fiddly.

Finally for tonight I thought I'd have a play with something else that looked fiddly - the first 2 connectors for the turret skirt...

REV073.jpg

OMG - they go on at a very 'jaunty angle' - enough is enough for today.

Thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 5

Excellent progress today!!

The blob is indeed the aerial mount.

The skirts are "fiddly", and take some care lining up but will go on in the end.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

I've been working on the tracks today - not a prospect I relished to be honest - but slowly slowly...

REV074.jpg

REV075.jpg

REV076.jpg

REV077.jpg

REV078.jpg

I got there in the end - but I'm slightly concerned I ended up with 2 of these spare...

REV079.jpg

oh well - onwards and upwards eh :doh:

• Like 7

This looks a bit more complicated than the 80's boxed Airfix Panzer IV I picked up 

from the local car boot a couple of months ago. Though that has rubber tracks!

The sprues are wrapped in tissue paper, something I can't remember seeing before.

If you forget to drill holes, shine a strong light onto the inside and you should see

the location point on the outside. This usually works for pylon mounting points on aircraft.

Good luck. Any canals in this build?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a properly fantastic job! 

Well done on what is a tricky task.

I've been trying to avoid this for as long as possible by employing the tactic of burying my head and pretending it doesn't exist!

However since you've put me to shame I'm trying to get the remaining wheels together tonight.

All the best

Ben

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

This looks a bit more complicated than the 80's boxed Airfix Panzer IV I picked up 

from the local car boot a couple of months ago. Though that has rubber tracks!

The sprues are wrapped in tissue paper, something I can't remember seeing before.

If you forget to drill holes, shine a strong light onto the inside and you should see

the location point on the outside. This usually works for pylon mounting points on aircraft.

Good luck. Any canals in this build?

14 minutes ago, badger said:

That's a properly fantastic job! 

Well done on what is a tricky task.

I've been trying to avoid this for as long as possible by employing the tactic of burying my head and pretending it doesn't exist!

However since you've put me to shame I'm trying to get the remaining wheels together tonight.

All the best

Ben

Thanks for the encouragement boys - I'm really quite enjoying this one.  Famous last words eh...

Next up will be the turret skirt - but that's for tomorrow perhaps.

Thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 3

Hi Big X. Those tracks look to have gone on really well. Don't worry about the spares - unless there's any large gaps we can't see in the photos? :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Haha 1

Excellent progress Steve,

And jolly well done on the wheels and the tracks. You've put many a 1/35th'er to shame with the tidiness of it all!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Big X. Those tracks look to have gone on really well. Don't worry about the spares - unless there's any large gaps we can't see in the photos? :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

Yeh no gaps Stix - but it was a long hard job and better to have 2 left than being 2 short eh ;)

34 minutes ago, Badder said:

Excellent progress Steve,

And jolly well done on the wheels and the tracks. You've put many a 1/35th'er to shame with the tidiness of it all!

Rearguards,

Badder

Cheers Badder - this really makes a change from the other 2 builds I'm playing with - proper modelling for once :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's been over a month since I updated this one.  I have to admit I've been avoiding it a little and I have been a little awe struck by @badger and @Hewy tackling the same kit with much more proficiency. But it's time to grit my teeth and 'dig in'.  It's been all the 'fiddly bits' that have been putting me off - I'm much more at home with 'simple kits' - my eyesight and shaky hands simply can't make a neat job of things.  Anyway - time for an update.

I got the turret skirt assembled...

REV080.jpg

REV081.jpg

REV082.jpg

REV083.jpg

I decided t go with a closed hatch...

REV084.jpg

not the neatest job - but plenty of paint will help. :whistle:

• Like 3

I am glad I invested in a couple of razor saws and the ultra fine Tamiya cutters that @Plasto recommended - not a broken part in sight - yet - but boy there are some delicate bits...

REV085.jpg

I drew line at the frontal MG though - that would last 30 seconds once in place - before being bent to oblivion.  So I took a preferred route and scratched a basic MG with a pin...

REV086.jpg 

REV087.jpg

REV088.jpg

REV089.jpg

...there will be no bending this ;)

• Like 3

Great work - I really like this kit (have about a dozen of them in various forms), and you're definitely doing it justice.

Great idea for the frontal mg.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, badger said:

Great work - I really like this kit (have about a dozen of them in various forms), and you're definitely doing it justice.

Great idea for the frontal mg.

All the best

Ben

Hi Ben - I may have made the frontal MG 'Steve proof' - but I have my doubts about the survival of the turret MG mount...

REV090.jpg

Anyway all the fiddly bits for the side skirts are going on...

REV091.jpg

I think we could be ready for some primer later today...

REV092.jpg

fingers crossed those pesky rails go on OK.  BTW - I've decided to use the shovel and barrel cleaners on the Italeri F2 instead - as they would be too hidden behind the skirts on this one.

More later hopefully - thanks for stopping by - Steve

• Like 4

Great to see this being  bought back to life just like lazarus🙏, I was hoping to parrot some of this for my build, so make haste Steve, 

Your right though some bits are delicate, and my pork sausage fingers don't help, well built up! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Time for a quick update...  I managed to stab my thumb on Sunday - which kind of brought things to a bit of a halt.  It's a bit better now though - so I've put some more work in on this kit and the Italeri fast build kit - sort of 'in tandem' - anyway - here is where the Revell is up to...

primed...

REV093.jpg

dunkelgelbed (is that a word???)...

REV094.jpg

rubber rims painted (fiddly)...

REV095.jpg

...the spares were a bit easier...

REV096.jpg

tracks painted...

REV097.jpg

the rest of the 'add on' bits painted...

REV098.jpg

Tri colour sprayed freehand on the hull / skirts / turret...

REV099.jpg

Next up is painting the tools on the bodywork and then a gloss varnish to seal everything - before decaling.

Thanks for popping by - Steve

• Like 3