1/72 Revell Panzer IV ausf H +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

As things seem to be really 'hotting up' - it's time to throw my hat into the ring with an 'almost' proper kit.  it may be small - but I've been looking at the sprues and it's got a lot more parts than the normal 'toys' I play with.  @badger & @Lawzer have promised to buddy up on this one - so we may create a 'real threat' to the allies.

Here she is...

REV001.jpg

This must be a 'real kit' - as it comes with decals...

REV003.jpg

...and instructions...

REV005.jpg

...and painting instructions too...

REV006.jpg

The picture of some 'serious' pre-shading may be a little beyond my abilities...

REV004.jpg

...but we all try to improve our skills -so we will see...

Wish me luck :D Steve

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Steve,

A worthy adversary for the 11th Armoured! Look forward to seeing this built.

Regards 

Steve 

Thanks Steve - are you joining in on this one???

• Like 2

It's a lovely kit but does reward a careful approach and a little bit of planning.

I've built one and have at least 4 more part built so I'll try and point out the things to be wary of as I remember them.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, BIG X said:

Thanks Steve - are you joining in on this one???

Aye up Steve

Am thinking about it as i have the Tamiya Brumbar in the stash. My record of finishing gb's is a bit poor though! If i do join in it wont be for a while yet as im currently re jigging the work shop.... 

Regards

Steve

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Out of my 3 different Panzer builds - this one is hopefully going to be the 'main event'.  I have been having a tinker over the Christmas break - so here is a quick update to get me back up to date...

I started by chopping a few bits up - following the lead of @badger - hopefully @Lawzer will be chipping in soon - if he can tear himself away from that magnificent Typhoon he is building.

REV009.jpg

This kit has so much more detail than the others and the first thing I spotted was these...

REV010.jpg

On the PSC at the bottom I assumed they were ejector points - but you can see from the Revell above they are some sort of caps - interesting.

The first bit of gluing was the vents and following Badgers advice I made sure they were very 'snug' in their position...

REV012.jpg

Anyway - I got the sides on...

REV013.jpg

...then the back...

REV014.jpg

Now - if you cast your eye over these...

REV015.jpg

REV016.jpg

They should be drilled out - but I missed them at this point - but more on that minor mistake later.  I made a start on the rear mudguards...

REV011.jpg

I'd almost forgotten what a 'real' kit can be like - sometimes you look at 2 pieces and wonder whey they weren't cast as one piece - but this 'assembly' is supposed to be part of the fun I guess.  Anyway I got them fitted...

REV018.jpg

REV019.jpg

...more holes I missed drilling out the first time around - but we will get back to them later.

More soon - I need a cup of tea - Steve

• Like 6

Damnation - just realised I haven't drilled the holes on the rear plate either and I've glued the hull top on!!

Did remember the ones on the fender this time though.

Great progress mate - it's a really nice kit that rewards a careful build.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I got the turret started...

REV017.jpg

REV020.jpg

REV021.jpg

The turret ring is quite 'finessed' compared to the PSC & Armourfast.  The front machine gun mount and vision port are nicely rendered too...

REV022.jpg

I got the back piece on too...

REV024.jpg

Now - here is where I went wrong :doh: I glued the top and bottom together - without any consideration as to how I was going to attach the rollers and tracks later...

REV025.jpg

Luckily - I only used the smallest amount of glue - which is unusual for me :whistle: so I was able to pry it off later - PHEW!!!

It was now time to add some 'fiddly bits'...

REV026.jpg

REV027.jpg

I got the 'picnic basket done and connected the barrel to the mantlet...

REV044.jpg

REV045.jpg

I did considered an 'after market' barrel - but after drilling it out I decided to go with the kit version

I popped on the forward hatches...

REV029.jpg

I supposed these could be posed in an open position for the more ambitious modeller - but closed will do for me.

REV030.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, badger said:

Damnation - just realised I haven't drilled the holes on the rear plate either and I've glued the hull top on!!

Did remember the ones on the fender this time though.

Great progress mate - it's a really nice kit that rewards a careful build.

All the best

Ben

Well look on the bright side at least you now know where they go :doh:

• Haha 1

Happy new year Steve

Nice progress, those small hatches on the side of the hull are for filling up the fuel tanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whilst preparing to put the turret side hatches on I nearly 'cleaned off' these...

REV031.jpg

However it turns out they are for locating the fixings for the turret skirt.  Another 'phew' moment - but on with the hatches...

REV032.jpg

REV033.jpg

Next up was the side fitting air filters that had me somewhat confused on the PSC build...

REV034.jpg

REV035.jpg

REV036.jpg

...luckily the Revell instructions precisely show where it should go...

REV037.jpg

...but I didn't understand at first that the holes needed to be drilled...

REV038.jpg

REV039.jpg

REV040.jpg

REV041.jpg

So I got there in the end and I think it is quite a nice feature & adds a bit of 'interest'.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Happy new year Steve

Nice progress, those small hatches on the side of the hull are for filling up the fuel tanks.

You live learn - that's what I love about this hobby Ozzy.

Happy New Year to you too matey:party:let's hope it's a good un :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Fairly nipping on with this one!

mines has been out of the box and put swiftly back in.....

I'll bet that was because you saw all those individual track links - SCARY STUFF - but as they say - no pain - no gain.  I must admit I'm shatting myself over them as we speak - they are exactly he same colour as my carpet and they are so TINY.  I won't be having a glass of wine when I get to work on them :lol:

• Like 1

I model over a deepish box lid when affixing the tracks to try and catch any pingers.

I usually start at the sprocket and work downwards.

Need to clean up the rest of my wheels and get them fitted but not had any building time for a day or two.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, badger said:

I model over a deepish box lid when affixing the tracks to try and catch any pingers.

I usually start at the sprocket and work downwards.

Need to clean up the rest of my wheels and get them fitted but not had any building time for a day or two.

All the best

Ben

You have inadvertently answered a question I was going to ask tonight...  How do I go about doing the tracks???

So I'm guessing I get a few attached to the sprocket and then spin it around a bit until it looks like it is in the right position before adding the short 'length' of track that leads to the road wheels etc....

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

You have inadvertently answered a question I was going to ask tonight...  How do I go about doing the tracks???

So I'm guessing I get a few attached to the sprocket and then spin it around a bit until it looks like it is in the right position before adding the short 'length' of track that leads to the road wheels etc....

Sounds like a very good idea. I usually make life difficult by gluing the sprocket solid then having to faff to get the tracks to fit.

• Haha 1

I'm no AFV expert, but keeping the sprocket and idler glue-free is a help. The last bits I put on are the 'droops' of track between the sprocket/idler and the first (and last, respectively) road wheel. Any gaps can be covered with mud.  In the late 80s when 1/72 AFVs first came with rigid plastic tracks, I thought it a retrograde step, and I still do. Can't understand why they don't give both types, the cost can't be much.

Regarding the holes on the rear plate, if I'm not mistaken they're for the exhaust for the auxiliary motor that powered the turret traverse. This was a feature of H models, deleted in Js. I have a theory that in most cases we don't know whether particular markings are for the H, or the J, as they are so similar.

• Thanks 1

I think it's time for a bit more 'catch up' on this one.  If you have seen my other Panzer threads you will know that due to a complete lack of knowledge of these magnificent beasts I inadvertently filled in the gap that should be between the turret and the turret 'picnic basket'.  However - now I know better I will not make that mistake again.

REV042.jpg

As you can see here the Revell kit comes with the appropriate 'spacers' and it went on a treat...

REV043.jpg

...that looks better...  I was so impressed I got the gun on too...

REV046.jpg

...TANKTASTIC!!!

• Like 4

Next up - that chunky monkey of an exhaust...

REV047.jpg

REV048.jpg

REV049.jpg

REV050.jpg

REV051.jpg

REV052.jpg

I can now see from these photos that I have forgot to hollow out the exhaust pipe - I'll have to do that tonight - WHOOPS :blush:

• Like 7

Happy Saturday folks. :D  Wheely time is here...

REV053.jpg

Oh boy these rollers are TINY...

REV054.jpg

REV058.jpg

Following advice from @badger I simply pushed the front of the roller through the back part and then pressed it in position and gave it a tickle with some Tamiya Extra Thin.

REV060.jpg

I got there in the end - and - I drilled out the exhaust too...

REV059.jpg

Next up the road wheels.

• Like 3