Sgt.Squarehead's Panzericus Genericus

Sgt.Squarehead

Placemarker, as ever.  ;)

Not less than three Revell 1/72 Pz.IV Ausf J, marked for one of the Panzerbrigades (ie: as sparsely as possible) for generic gaming purposes.

Fair chance I might chuck a Jagdpanzer IV L/70 into the mix too, just to be sure the 25% deal is well covered as the Pz.IVs are already started.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, badger said:

mesh skirts

Any idea where I could find a set or two?  It needs to have the proper rails, the Thoma skirts alone won't do the trick (the rails are very different to those used with solid schurzen).  :shrug:

I was planning on building these as fairly early versions (the Revell late exhausts are useless and I don't think I have enough Hasegawa & Dragon replacements), but probably without zimmeritt (because it's a pain).....Bloody Germans and their silly putty.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hi Sarge

Only ones I ever found were part for the Thoma skirts but even those don't come with the rails.

Fairly sure I have some plans somewhere so was going to scratch them from evergreen rod

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Part do a set specifically for the revell kit but the mounting rails (in both sets) are flat etch whereas in reality they were round pipe.

I've not seen a set that get the rails right.

Just now, badger said:

Part do a set specifically for the revell kit (its it's much the same as the one you link tbh), but the mounting rails (in both sets) are flat etch whereas in reality they were round pipe.

I've not seen a set that get the rails right.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, vppelt68 said:

Doesn't PART deliver what you need?

Sadly not, as @badger points out the mounting rails and their supports are wrong, they should look like this:

w8un3t.jpg

The rails themselves should be easy enough to make, but the various supports would be a bit of a chore.....Might still give it a go though.  :whistle:

• Like 2

I believe only later Ausf. J:s had them. That was when the Reich had become severely short of everything, even rolled iron plates. Ironically the schürzen made a hollow charge projectile shape up at optimum distance from actual tank armour and improved its penetration. V-P

• Like 1

They were indeed generally only associated with the late production Ausf J.....Which the restored tank in that picture quite clearly isn't!  :rolleyes:

It's at best a very early production Ausf J as it still has the cast towing eyes on the lower front hull plate, late Ausf Js omitted these and had extensions to the side hull plate, thus:

Panzer_IV_Ausf_J_Thoma.jpg

My models will probably have a variety of these features, I may even add a spattering of zimmerit to one or two of them.....But there's plenty to do to them before any of that becomes an issue.  ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...