2cm Flakpanzer IV 'Wirbelwind' (Dragon 1:35)

wimbledon99

On 12/23/2018 at 7:07 AM, mahavelona said:

That's an exciting dry fit! I really like your progress so far

Thank you, mahavelona - Glad you like it :smile:

On 12/23/2018 at 7:21 AM, Hewy said:

Moving along well nigel, I alter the building sequence regularly 

Hi Glynn, Yep, needs a bit more think about than other kits does this one!! :think:

On 12/23/2018 at 3:24 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Looks like you have been making excellent progress. It's looking very smart! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks, Stix :happy: I'm enjoying the challenge but might slow down over the next few days. I'll do as much as I can between eating, drinking and visitors :wink:

Merry Christmas all!! :santa:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a day to myself today (mostly) so thought I'd do a bit more. Again, took longer than expected due to the small parts but I'm learning this seems to be the way of the Dragon :ninja:

One word of caution. Make sure you don't fix A4 so that it can't move; it needs to be able to, a little further down the build.

31240531087_84d81bde91_k.jpg

31577625467_de3317625a_k.jpg

46465661252_8678a731e5_k.jpg

• Like 10

Neat work Nigel.

It's always good to see the internals and stuff you don't otherwise get to see. For instance, I am surprised that the gun was mounted on girders!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Badder said:

Neat work Nigel.

It's always good to see the internals and stuff you don't otherwise get to see. For instance, I am surprised that the gun was mounted on girders!

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder :smile: The internals has me scratching my head re. paint. Anyone know what colour it would be?

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

There is a nice bit of detail in this element Nigel, have you tried to shoot down any aircraft yet?

:laugh:

• Like 2

@wimbledon99 Hi Nigel,

I assume you meant the colour of the driver's and radio operator's compartment? That would be white/off white.

I couldn't tell you what colour those girders should be though.

If Dragon don't say, do a search for Tamiya's instruction sheet ,or ask @Ozzy

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/30/2018 at 7:27 PM, Badder said:

@wimbledon99 Hi Nigel,

I assume you meant the colour of the driver's and radio operator's compartment? That would be white/off white.

I couldn't tell you what colour those girders should be though.

If Dragon don't say, do a search for Tamiya's instruction sheet ,or ask @Ozzy

Rearguards,

Badder

Hmmm, It was indeed the girders I was querying! Think I'll have to try an find some artistic flair (so it could be a long wait!!) :whistle:

On 12/30/2018 at 7:06 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Good to see more progress on your project. It's another fascinating looking vehicle too! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

It's certainly proving to need more planning than other kits!!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:27 PM, Badder said:

Hmmm, It was indeed the girders I was querying! Think I'll have to try an find some artistic flair (so it could be a long wait!!) :whistle:

Ah-ha!

In that case I would go one of two ways ..... if it's in any way visible from the inside (by the crew) paint it white/off white. If not paint it red lead oxide.

Happy new year,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Ah-ha!

In that case I would go one of two ways ..... if it's in any way visible from the inside (by the crew) paint it white/off white. If not paint it red lead oxide.

Happy new year,

Badder

Happy New Year to you, too  :happy:   🎆🎆🎆🎆

So with the 'main component builds' taking shape, I thought it was time to add some colour hence the lower parts are now prepped for the airbrush. The lower hull (below the guards) and suspension parts are getting a coat of black before being joined and painted 'yellow'. I'm hoping the black will act as a shading effect for the hard to reach places ones the parts are together  :fingerscrossed:

31658700227_1510ef0f9a_k.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel and Happy New Year! Looks like you have made excellent progress. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Hi Stix, Getting paint on the lower / smaller parts will feel like it's really starting to come along :smile:

54 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

what are those orange pins you're using?

Hi,

These are from my RC days when I was building airframes. They are very thin and sharp (hence were ideal for balsa) and are great for handling small plastic parts without any damage. The head of the pin also ensures that it doesn't travel into one's thumb when excessive pressure is applied; as used to be the case with the round head pins :swear:

The box lid states 'Profi Pins MS' but I can no longer see them when 'Googling'

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

A very interesting and useful "set of tools", I always end up showing my fingers ...:whistle:

Cheers mate :santa:

Hahahaha - Just a few pins and cocktail sticks!! :laugh:

Oh, I forgot the 'blue tack'  :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/5/2019 at 9:41 AM, FrancisGL said:

The tone and the shadows that are seen, I love ...:popcorn:

Cheers mate :santa:

On 1/5/2019 at 12:39 PM, PlaStix said:

I do like what you are doing with the paintwork Nigel! Very nice! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks, Stix / Francis. I'm hoping it's not peaked to early with the tones getting lost as I apply more paint; time will tell  :worry:

• Like 1

Quick update and I'm quite pleased. This is just a dry fit with the initial coat but it's a look I've not achieved before and I'm hoping I can replicate it throughout the build.

That said, if anyone has other ideas (i.e. it's not how it should look) please let me know now!!  :think:

46679810101_366207d4da_k.jpg

• Like 6

I'm posting the remaining two pages of the manual as I'm jumping from section to section from this point forward, trying to plan the best way to paint and build as I go.

I've also added a picture of the (not so) Magic Tracks. I'm sure this has been raised before but following close inspection during the build of a few spares to put on the hull, I noticed a lot of injection marks. I've scraped these now (top left done before I took the photo) but the thought of doing 200 of these when building the main tracks is like :angry:.  I may build longer sections and then scrape / sand them as a whole; if anything, they should be easier to handle.

44362656640_52e4613f67_k.jpg

31240531567_b1a3126295_k.jpg

46682053091_5be1d6848f_k.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Nigel. Lovely progress! Your paintwork on the side of the lower hull and running gear looks excellent. You have got a very realistic appearance going! :thumbsup:

With regards the tracks - I have only used Magic Tracks once and the pin marks are a pain. I ended up only cleaning up enough for the lower runs - to cover the area from immediately below the drive sproket to under the idler. I figured everything else was going to upside down or hidden by the sprocket and idler and therefore not really seen. Even with the lower run the tracks are partially hidden by the road wheels...........and then there's mud! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Hi Nigel,

Shame about the ejector pin marks on the tracks, but they look pretty realistic otherwise.  I think you have the right idea by completing a run of them and sanding the lot down at the same time.  A steel ruler on its side could be wrapped with fine grade sandpaper and run along each side of the guide horns fairly quickly I'd imagine.

I'm liking the tidy painting on the hull, wheels etc. Puts mine to shame! But then, I'm deliberately steering clear of that style.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1