2cm Flakpanzer IV 'Wirbelwind' (Dragon 1:35)

wimbledon99

On 1/10/2019 at 1:53 PM, Badder said:

Hi Nigel,

Shame about the ejector pin marks on the tracks, but they look pretty realistic otherwise.  I think you have the right idea by completing a run of them and sanding the lot down at the same time.  A steel ruler on its side could be wrapped with fine grade sandpaper and run along each side of the guide horns fairly quickly I'd imagine.

I'm liking the tidy painting on the hull, wheels etc. Puts mine to shame! But then, I'm deliberately steering clear of that style.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks for the tip, Badder  :smile:  No shame, just different ideas and interpretations. If they all looked the same the GB's would be a bit boring  :wink:

On 1/10/2019 at 10:29 AM, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Lovely progress! Your paintwork on the side of the lower hull and running gear looks excellent. You have got a very realistic appearance going! :thumbsup:

With regards the tracks - I have only used Magic Tracks once and the pin marks are a pain. I ended up only cleaning up enough for the lower runs - to cover the area from immediately below the drive sproket to under the idler. I figured everything else was going to upside down or hidden by the sprocket and idler and therefore not really seen. Even with the lower run the tracks are partially hidden by the road wheels...........and then there's mud! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix  :happy:  I have to admit that the mud option is quite appealing at the minute :wonder:

16 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Personally I really like the tone you have achieved. A lot of work with the links, although I think that once the tracks are mounted, the marks of the ejectors will be very little ...:popcorn:

Cheers mate 👍

Thanks for the optimism - I need some every time I look at the bags of links :laugh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Nice job Nigel, she coming along nicely.

Thank you Ozzy :happy:

I forgot to mention for anyone planning on building this kit in the future, please don't spend ages (45 minutes in my case) looking for part B3 (shelf / bracket) in section 12 as it's actually D4. In fact, D6 is actually D3, D4 is actually D5 and D5 is actually D6!!

Oh, and parts E41 & E42 are not separate; they are moulded into part E2 :facepalm:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

On 1/13/2019 at 9:21 PM, modelling minion said:

Nice work Nigel, very nice.

The pre-shading on the hull looks really nice, very effective.

Thank you Craig :happy: I've dipped my toe a bit further with the paint as you'll see from the photos below

On 1/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, PlaStix said:

That all looks to be going together very nicely Nigel! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :happy: It's a great kit but as I've said prior, it does need some planning ahead!

On 1/14/2019 at 1:27 PM, Hewy said:

All looking ship shape nigel, nicely painted too

Many thanks Glynn :happy: Bit more painting achieved today

On 1/14/2019 at 6:23 PM, Yetifan said:

It’s two hobbies in one, part model part 3D puzzle 🙂 looking good so far.

Haha :laugh: You're not wrong! Thanks :happy:

OK - So I grabbed the tank by the hull and had a go with the pre-shading on the upper hull, cupola and gun. Below is a couple of pre-shade pics followed by a few with the first coat of 'yellow'. It kind of followed the same guidelines as the lower hull only I decided to use 'red' along the weld lines of the cupola to up the effect a little and add some 'white' too.

Now I must get to work on those guns and tools. There's something else I need to do but I can't think..........................oh yeah, tracks!!!! Anyone would think I'm putting them off until last :whistle:

45841314505_e3912f0f2d_k.jpg

45841314475_e3912f0f2d_k.jpg

45841314875_1e9a38506d_k.jpg

46756607021_8631bf08e3_k.jpg

46756606931_ce066d8773_k.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Nigel. Wow that is looking impressive! I do like the effects you're getting from the pre-shading! :thumbsup:

And good luck with the tracks! I have included a link below to a post where I detailed how I made up a set of Magic Tracks on a Panzer III. It might be of some use.

Kind regard,

Stix

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice indeed Nigel, the pre-shading has worked a treat and this is going to look fantastic when finished.

Thanks Craig, I'm trying new things out here so I have my fingers crossed things come out OK at the end! :fingerscrossed:

13 hours ago, Hewy said:

I like it, great job

Thanks Glynn! :happy:

11 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

I do like way the red and black pre-shading complement* each other

Hi Robert, I wasn't sure when I first applied the red but I think it's OK. That said, I have the camo to tackle yet!! :wonder:

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Wow that is looking impressive! I do like the effects you're getting from the pre-shading! :thumbsup:

And good luck with the tracks! I have included a link below to a post where I detailed how I made up a set of Magic Tracks on a Panzer III. It might be of some use.

Kind regard,

Stix

Thanks Stix, It's all a bit by-the-seat-of-my-pants at the minute but I'm pleased with what it looks like to date.

Thank you too for the link; much appreciated!! :like:  I shall have a read a little later and see what I can do with them once I've sorted the tools for the hull.

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 2

Coming along very nicely this build. Love the colour tone you’ve achieved on it.

i know what you mean about the magic tracks, I’ve just built some on my Sherman build. I built them into runs before I cleaned them up, much quicker that way and easier to handle.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 7:21 AM, bigfoot said:

Coming along very nicely this build. Love the colour tone you’ve achieved on it.

i know what you mean about the magic tracks, I’ve just built some on my Sherman build. I built them into runs before I cleaned them up, much quicker that way and easier to handle.

Thank you  :D And thanks for the heads up re. the tracks. I thought the wheels were bad enough!! :rolleyes:

On 1/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice job Nigel, the paint work is looking the business.

Thanks Ozzy. I just hope it looks OK once the camo is applied :unsure:

• Like 1

She's looking the business there Nigel, looking at the picture above you should be able to see all your pre shading efforts once the cammo is applied.

• Like 1

Dragon Magic tracks. I still get nightmares you know. Brought a set for a 1/48 project and had so much hassle with them it's still in the 3Boxes of Doom. It may be the last one out as well. 

That's looking really nice BTW. Paint style isn't my thing but you've done a beautiful job on it so far.

• Like 1

Hi Nigel. 

On 20/01/2019 at 01:24, wimbledon99 said:

Lots of work today with little to show; guns and etch.

I know what you mean! But it's all those little things that will really add to the overall effects!  And it really is looking superb so far. I really like the painting effects you have achieved and the guns look excellent! Looking forward to seeing more progress. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Your shading has worked out a treat nigel, looks great

7 hours ago, Badder said:

Nice work Nigel. All looking neat and tidy. Great to see pre-shading that actually shows up!

Rearguards

Badder

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. 

I know what you mean! But it's all those little things that will really add to the overall effects!  And it really is looking superb so far. I really like the painting effects you have achieved and the guns look excellent! Looking forward to seeing more progress. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 1/20/2019 at 11:37 AM, SleeperService said:

Dragon Magic tracks. I still get nightmares you know. Brought a set for a 1/48 project and had so much hassle with them it's still in the 3Boxes of Doom. It may be the last one out as well. 

That's looking really nice BTW. Paint style isn't my thing but you've done a beautiful job on it so far.

On 1/20/2019 at 8:23 AM, Ozzy said:

She's looking the business there Nigel, looking at the picture above you should be able to see all your pre shading efforts once the cammo is applied.

All, Thank you for the kind and positive comments. The support on this site is fantastic and is really appreciated!!  :blush:

I've gone for the smaller bits tonight and applied colour. Some need a few brushed finish clamps / handles / etc. so I might do those tomorrow if time allows. However, I may need to bite the bullet and get some camo on the main hull and cupola first! :brb:

31889728607_9fdcd450fd_k.jpg

• Like 6