1/35 aftermarket 7.62 gpmg

Whofan

I've got two Takom 1/35 FV432's to build, and looking at the gpmg's in the kit I think a little a/m- a metal barrel, some etch perhaps - might improve it.

Or even a resin job.

I've done a search in Hannants as a start, with negative results. Probably poor search terms, but I have tried a fair few options.

Seeking advice from the (shameless flattery!) Excellent AFV modellers on B/M as to is such a/m exists, and who makes it.

Live resin, definitely the best GPMG on the (after) market, but it represents an earlier version with the wooden barrel change/carry handle. The Accurate Armour version is a later version with the plastic handle so more suited to 1990’s onwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chaps, many thanks for your advice.

I've had a look at the accurate armour offering and note with some glee you get 4 guns in the set - one each and two spares!

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the AA versions are very clunky: as indeed are all their small arms.  I sold mine on having got hold of some Live Resin ones.  Legend only do the original FN MAG (essentially the original wood-furniture L7A1, differences not noticeable in this scale) or M240.  The Legend MAGs, sold as an IDF set, aren't hugely impressive either.  I can't remember now which it was, but one or other of my AA or Legend sets all had short-moulded barrels.

Altering the butt and grip on the Legend is straightforward, but to me they look like the nylon-furniture version anyway.  They claim it to be an L7A2, which should have plastic.  Wooden furniture could still occasionally be seen into the 90's on L7A1 GPMG.  You can't use the sights with the handle upright!  Folds right in use: fold left and you've unlocked the barrel for changing......  Live have separate handles.

If you want personal weapons, the SLR and SMG in the Italeri Modern Weapons set are nice.  Live do excellent SA80A1, A2 and carbine variants and all the sights, lights, grips and laser pointers for current configurations.  Note that 432 variants in non-APC roles originally mounted the L4 LMG on a different mounting.  That weapon wasn't fully phased-out until the mid-90's.  Dragon have those in their Modern Machine Guns set and Tank did some nice resin ones if you can still find any: long OOP.