Eduard 1/48 Tempest

Here's my latest build, the new Eduard Tempest that I picked up at Telford all of a month ago (only 11 months till next year!) lovelly kit with all of the strengths of Eduards recent releases (surface finish, detailed cockpit/wheelwells etc) however it does not quite fall together as easily as their spitfire kits and there are a few issues which need addressing for a "series 1" airframe, however for the expenditure of a little labour the end result is imho as good as their spitfire and it has real prescence! I like it a lot. Changes I made to better represent a typical series 1 airframe were.

• The lumps on the wing roots covering the fixing bolts are missing and need added (again pretty easy to do)
  • I removed the 4 lumps under the wings that cover the wing bolts as I am pretty sure they would not be there if the upper bumps are in place?
  • I made a cowl to fit into the chin intake as pics seem to show these were quite widespread (not sure if my aircrat had one fitted but had fun trying to make one)

Some of the issues I experienced were

• The spinner slots are much too large but they are easily fixed and I am sure somebody will come up with a resin one pretty soon.
  • Some of the clear parts did not fit quite as well as they maybe should and some needed a bit of fettling, I am still not happy with the sit of the canapoy which may be linked to the internal framework, have a plan to drop this on future builds.
  • The underside seam accross the flaps is a bit awkward (I may well try out their flap set on my next build to avoid this)

•  

There are some surprising sink marks on control surfaces which I made no attempt to rectify to avoid having to try and repair the surface detail.

I also added a few mods just to make the kit a little different by dropping the radiator flap and opening the handhold under the canopy, all in all I really liked it and will certainly build a few more For anyone who does not want to wait for their future release it looks like a series 2 could be built from the kit without any real issues except a change of markings.

Ohh and the visible cat hairs and sanding dust have already been removed!

46222939242_bd41aabc08_k.jpg32401403348_4a5eb172fe_k.jpg32401402538_3fe164b958_k.jpg31334378097_453301ac89_k.jpg31334378067_53681c2a75_k.jpg

45360473385_f0ce9e7b01_k.jpg44456234750_0e179caba1_k.jpg46273139591_662face8ad_k.jpg32401396988_8d13162db5_k.jpg31334377857_abfdedd968_k.jpg

lo

45549721744_db9fe2ceb6_k.jpg45360474155_ccd6d198ff_k.jpg

• Like 61

That looks wonderful! The weathering is great. Well done! How did you handle the bar that is part of the cockpit opening insert? Mine won't fit with the bar so I'm thinking of removing it even though the instruction show it in place.

Dale

6 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

That looks wonderful! The weathering is great. Well done! How did you handle the bar that is part of the cockpit opening insert? Mine won't fit with the bar so I'm thinking of removing it even though the instruction show it in place.

Dale

Hi Dale

I ended up taking it out and fitting it after I had dropped the top cockpit insert in pace, tbh however its almost invisible! so I wouldnt worry if you cant get it back in place.

On any future builds I think I will simply not fit the bar over which the seatbelts fits (sorry dont know the part number) until after I have fitted the top cockpit insert with the bar,  The seat belt and the small seperate bar should be easy enough to add at that point. Maybe Eduard coul change their instructions to reflect this different build procedure?

Whats your thoughts on the kit? thought I would have seen more builds on line but there dosnt appear to be a lot around at the mo?

On 12/12/2018 at 2:02 AM, salmo G said:

Hi Dale

I ended up taking it out and fitting it after I had dropped the top cockpit insert in pace, tbh however its almost invisible! so I wouldnt worry if you cant get it back in place.

On any future builds I think I will simply not fit the bar over which the seatbelts fits (sorry dont know the part number) until after I have fitted the top cockpit insert with the bar,  The seat belt and the small seperate bar should be easy enough to add at that point. Maybe Eduard coul change their instructions to reflect this different build procedure?

Whats your thoughts on the kit? thought I would have seen more builds on line but there dosnt appear to be a lot around at the mo?

The part in question is E9. I was able to remove mine as it was only tacked on, and I can confirm that part #F8 will then fit over the armoured head rest and then you can install E9 . the only possible issue is that the bar on part F8 will then interfere with the seat belt part that attaches to the bulkhead.

I think the kit is wonderful as long as you carefully prepare all the mating surfaces and test fit everything. I am almost ready to start painting. I always try to assemble as much as I can before I start any painting. have yet to pick out a scheme but I am leaning to a late JN serial # to avoid the fishplates.:banghead:

17 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

The part in question is E9. I was able to remove mine as it was only tacked on, and I can confirm that part #F8 will then fit over the armoured head rest and then you can install E9 . the only possible issue is that the bar on part F8 will then interfere with the seat belt part that attaches to the bulkhead.

I think the kit is wonderful as long as you carefully prepare all the mating surfaces and test fit everything. I am almost ready to start painting. I always try to assemble as much as I can before I start any painting. have yet to pick out a scheme but I am leaning to a late JN serial # to avoid the fishplates.:banghead:

Hi Dale

Yea I agree you need to fettle some of the main parts to make sure that the fits ok (the wings especially) but if you spend a bit of time the end result looks really good, Ref the seta belt part  that attached to the bulkhead I plan on fitting that AFTER I have installed the top cockpit insert and just dropping it down the back, just think Eduard need to chnage the construction process in their plans for the series 2 versio when they release it, fyi if you look at their trader leaflet for Feb  it shows the sprues for this release and it seems like they have put a more accurate spinner in yahoo!! no need to modify the other one. if I am right well done Eduard they really do seem to listen to modellers concerns sometimes and I think that should be applauded.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Nice job , my only gripe would be the wheel wells which would have been natural metal not interior green.

Quote Camouflage & Markings page 78 All Typhoons , Tempests,  the inside of wheel wells ,undercarriage doors ,radiator intakes were Aluminium or 

Natural Metal. :pipe: