Plasto’s Tamiya 1/48 Panzer iv Ausf H

Plasto

Hi,

I don’t build much armour but I do like the 1/48 kits by Tamiya.

Unfortunately the Local Distributor doesn’t really bring them in. So you have to look elsewhere for them. Still the internet circumvents local sourcing issues and I have the kit heading to me via a post free deal from Jadlam...

Here is the subject...

44458925340_a76dac78be_z.jpg

I also got the zimmerit sheet for it. Having done Zimmerit a few differing ways the self adhesive sheet seems novel and being Tamiya I think it will fit well.

44458925280_d12c5568da.jpg

No thoughts on ‘scheme’.  Nor aftermarket bits. We’ll see what the box gives us as a starter.

Cheers

Plasto..

• Like 5

I bought this one with the intention of building it here, but it has been overtaken by events so I'll pull up a front row seat and watch how it should be done before I tackle mine.

Andy

1 minute ago, Foxbat said:

I'll pull up a front row seat and watch how it should be done before I tackle mine.

Goodness no.. I’m no Armour modeller so you may be disappointed.. Still it should be fun and we might try a few new things out... If things get dicey we can cover it in mud and claim ‘ost front’ winter 44...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Plasto. Just wondering if you have had chance to make a start on this yet? I'm wondering about making the J version as a project to build after my current Dragon/Platz - as it might be finished a bit more quickly than I thought!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi,

Well Santa’s little helpers had seemingly intercepted my kit and packed it as an Christmas present. Since the ‘big day’ is now a few hours old here in paradise. I have made a start on the kit.. Bringing a few essential tools with me ‘just in case’.

So some Christmas day kitchen table modeling has ensued..

46451321661_bd2d0c2eaa_b.jpg

46451322281_5ae3d04e7b_b.jpg

32578928658_19fbaf6363_b.jpg

so after a couple of pleasant hours....

46451319911_64ff38f2b5_b.jpg

46451318751_dd181b9125_b.jpg

Unfortunately I left the Zimmerit coating sheet back at base so I’ll have to be careful I don’t assemble too much which will get in the way of applying that I also ordered a metal barrel (which the kit really doesn’t need) so need to wait on that..

Tracks etc later..

Merry Christmas

Plasto

• Like 5

Looking very nice Plasto, she will look nice with the zimmerit on. I’ve got to try one of these 1/48 kits at some point.

Merry Christmas, 🎅

Thanks Ozzy,

Merry christmas to you..

Following the normal Christmas BBQ lunch I moved out into the garage with the kit and added the link n length tracks.

46455693791_44855c6be6_b.jpg

they were fairly simple and look good IMHO.

Prior to lunch we also had a family gift giving round and my in-laws kindly gifted me the following...

45732271574_3c047ece4f_b.jpg

Here sitting amongst the traditional Christmas jigsaw...

Very serendipitous.....

I may start another thread...

• Like 4

Hi Plasto and Merry Christmas. Your 1/48 kit has progressed wonderfully and is looking very good. And what a wonderfully timed gift from the in-laws! :yahoo:

Kind regards,

Stix

A quick return to base this afternoon before heading back to the beach house tomorrow..

I made a start on the zimmerit stickers ..

46443868172_fb29df7de5_b.jpg

easy to apply and cut out... typical Tamiya fit..

cheers

Plasto..

• Like 5

On 28/12/2018 at 05:07, Plasto said:

easy to apply and cut out... typical Tamiya fit..

That's good to know because I've got some of these for the 1/48 Pz.IV I've got in the stash. :thumbsup:

They are looking good.

Kind regards,

Stix

Good thing is you get a variety of patterns on the sheet for the mantlet and front plate plus xtra for touch up jobs. I think with a bit of thought you could probably use it for Zimmerit on Any PZ iv variant say the 1/48 whirbelwind...

• Like 2

So a bit of progress on the Ausf H 

46572951442_60e8ebe175_b.jpg

The AM barrel arrived  it’s very nice and is more detailed then the kit offering. I have been progressing with the rest of the build.. I need to work out what I’m doing with the side skirts...

• Like 6

Ok so a bit more work on this.

i have finished off the fiddly bits namely the tools etc.. I also added the rails for the  side armour. 

The side armour is nicel mounded and has a taper to the panels to give an impression of scale thickness.

46668419932_cc8cd58071_b.jpg

However I have some brass shim stock and I cut some replacement panels using the kit part as a guide...

45996544134_dc45d4f4d4_b.jpg

once I have the base paint done on the hull I’ll have a think if I’m going to use these or the kit parts.

• Like 4

Cheers...

I cracked on with the base paint... 

An undercoat if Mr Surfacer Mahogany..

Then a base coat of Tamiya Dunkelgelb.

Tracks are a mix of ammo dark tracks and black... Roadwheel tyres a mix of gunship grey and dark tracks....

31780953057_bf1e2d1d04_b.jpg

46669557192_7031433122_b.jpg

• Like 4