Me.262A-2/U2 with T-Stoff Tow Truck 1:48

Mike

11 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Good job it wasn't a couple of mm longer as you would have needed a bigger base ;) 

You're not wrong there! :phew: I think I need to get myself some decent bases of a reasonable size.  I need to do some research and build a catch-all bit of WWII German runway/apron :hmmm:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ringo said:

Very nice work Mike, i really love your diorama... Can i ask wich colours you used for the ME262? 

Thanks :) Gunze colours actually - H422 RLM82 light green, and H423 RLM83 dark green, with some modulation and a bit of filter use on individual panels. HTH

That's a wonderful diorama! I love the truck and the concrete base representation with the splintered surface.

Just a small comment: The truck's number plate reads WH...  This stands for Wehrmacht Heer.  The fuel truck most likely belonged to the Luftwaffe, therefore the number should start with WL...

German ground personnel were called 'black men' because they wore black denims (what a difference to the Japanese who wore white denims!)

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Toryu said:

The truck's number plate reads WH...  This stands for Wehrmacht Heer. 

That's from the original kit, which was a Wehrmacht job.  We'll just pretend that something weird happened and it ended up being.... erm.... converted! ^_^ I'd need to find a new plate for it, as I don't have much in 1:48 sadly, but if I could it could be fixed ;)

As others have said, Mike, this a great tribute to your build and paint skills. A really lovely, realistic diorama. 

I'm slightly surprised that the towing points were on the bottom of the front leg (even though that's the most practical place to have them, obviously). I remember reading a while ago that the 262's front leg was a bit of Achille's Heal for the jet (pun fully intended). I believe that the Me-262 suffered a number of collapsed front undercarriages due to rough landings, particularly in the early days of service. I wonder if towing the aircraft at this point was a contributory factor to the failures?

Anyway, sir, thanks for sharing with us.

Chris.     

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I believe that the Me-262 suffered a number of collapsed front undercarriages due to rough landings, particularly in the early days of service. I wonder if towing the aircraft at this point was a contributory factor to the failures?

It was a known weakness, yes, which was why the assist-cables were attached to the main gear legs prior to commencing towing.  If you have a look at my build thread, someone posted up a pic of the notice on the front nose gear bay door, which said something "do not tow without extra cables" or similar.  You should just about see my cables in the pics if you squint.  Whether towing also weakened the leg, I don't know, but if it's that prone to damage on the ground, it must have been a genuine design deficiency that they just didn't have time to work out of the system due to the state of the war by then.  Good job too! :)

2 hours ago, Mike said:

It was a known weakness, yes, which was why the assist-cables were attached to the main gear legs prior to commencing towing.  If you have a look at my build thread, someone posted up a pic of the notice on the front nose gear bay door, which said something "do not tow without extra cables" or similar.  You should just about see my cables in the pics if you squint.  Whether towing also weakened the leg, I don't know, but if it's that prone to damage on the ground, it must have been a genuine design deficiency that they just didn't have time to work out of the system due to the state of the war by then.  Good job too! :)

Thanks for the extra information, Mike.

As with many of the very advanced German "wonder-weapons", you wonder if the 262 had been produced in much greater numbers, with a good supply of experienced pilots and a much better supply of fuel, would the war have lasted a lot longer than it did? Obviously, we'll never know. Thank God that the Germans were on their last legs after D-Day and the impending Russian counter-offensive against the Nazis.

Cheers.

Chris. 

What a beautyful little tabletop. I appreciate that very much! Your Opel Blitz is stunning, exactly like the 262.  By the way : German mechanics also wear white coveralls, wich immediatly turned to black.  The stupidest invention of the 2 WW., as an old mechanic said one time after the war.

All the best

Andy

one Question please: I was absent long time ago since Photobucket closed. Is it still working again? Are there better alternatives.  i would like to post again.

Thanks for your help

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy Dyck said:

one Question please: I was absent long time ago since Photobucket closed. Is it still working again? Are there better alternatives.  i would like to post again.

Check the Help & Support area - if you can't find the info there, ask a question there.  There's still a lot of free hosts, but they seem to be moving toward a paying structure more and more. :)

On 12/11/2018 at 7:33 PM, Julien said:

Mike in finished model shocker :surprised:

Looks good though.

Julien

I was just about to say, 'so much better than that nightfighter on a dark night thing you managed last year!' But seriously, lovely build and finish. I love 262s and that nose job (which I've never seen before either) makes it all the more interesting. Great work, as always...

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2018 at 4:30 PM, Mike said:

The stencil on the nose gear bay door is "Nicht am Bugrad schleppen" - meaning "Do not tow on nose wheel"  🚫

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2018 at 9:00 PM, Mike said:

Check the Help & Support area - if you can't find the info there, ask a question there.  There's still a lot of free hosts, but they seem to be moving toward a paying structure more and more. :)

Thank you Sir!! It works very well with Village. photo.   Much easier and faster than photobucket.

Cheers 

Andy

On 12/11/2018 at 5:08 PM, Mike said:

crap at deadlines

"I love deadlines.  I especially love the whooshing sound they make as they go by"  (Douglas Adams)

On 12/11/2018 at 5:08 PM, Mike said:

took a while to paint the driver

One of these days I'll get a couple of RAF vehicles and a WAAF figure in honour of my mum, about whom a pilot once said, "The most frightening thing about a mission over Germany is the ride out to the bomber in Peggy's lorry"

Lovely job, by the way, guv'nor, a real cracker.

• Thanks 1