ICM 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IX 'Beer Delivery'

BP85

Hi All, 

After losing my mojo for this build a bit and in intense few months at work I decided to pick it up again and get some paint on it. I've given up on the panel lines that I scribed a little too deep and hope that various layers of paint and varnish and weathering will hide them a bit. 

I'm pretty pleased with how the underside came out with the tonal variation with the white marbling on top of the black (I didn't get a picture of this). 

For the green I only sprayed where there won't be invasion stripes so that's why there seems to be gaps or ropey edges. 

Colours used (all 1 paint/3 thinners): underside - Tamiya XF-83; topside - Tamiya XF-82 and XF-81.

Next steps are to do the sky blue band, the yellow strip where there guns are on the leading edge and then the invasion stripes. 

20190530_130248

20190530_130259

Didn't do a WIP for this but in the downtime I picked up an old Airfix 1/72 Mk V to practice invasion stripes and and pretty pleased with how it is coming along. Just some weathering and a matt coat to go on this one 

Airfix Series 2 1/72 Spitfire Mk Vb

• Like 3

Hello BP !!

Welcome to BM first !

You did great on your ICM, Congratulations ! , I did and like these kits

It is demanding but it's cheap and not too bad !

I see on your kit that the moulds have been rectified, I'm still working on a first generation ICM Mk IX

I no longer spend time to correct the prop blade !

There's a resin kit from bren gun, not expensive  and no sink marks on it.

Seemingly, there are no longer sink mark on the ailerons and near the tail Wheel Goood !! Things are improving at ICM !!

About the D-9 profipack, I did one, if you let the hatches open, it will be easier for you … Problems came when you close it….

Otherwise, it's a good kit really different when compared to an ICM Spitfire !!

Keep carry on !! it's great !!

CC

• Like 1

Hi All, 

After a clear coat at the weekend I taped her up to do the yellow leading edges and sky band on the tail 

20190604_163649

Again all Tamiya, yellow and sky colours. I didn't bother masking where the invasion stripes will go as no need. Fairly pleased with the results 

20190604_171931

20190604_171926

Will hopefully get at least the white of the stripes done at the weekend. 

Thanks for following 

Ben 

• Like 3

On 31/05/2019 at 23:46, corsaircorp said:

Hello BP !!

Welcome to BM first !

You did great on your ICM, Congratulations ! , I did and like these kits

It is demanding but it's cheap and not too bad !

I see on your kit that the moulds have been rectified, I'm still working on a first generation ICM Mk IX

I no longer spend time to correct the prop blade !

There's a resin kit from bren gun, not expensive  and no sink marks on it.

Seemingly, there are no longer sink mark on the ailerons and near the tail Wheel Goood !! Things are improving at ICM !!

About the D-9 profipack, I did one, if you let the hatches open, it will be easier for you … Problems came when you close it….

Otherwise, it's a good kit really different when compared to an ICM Spitfire !!

Keep carry on !! it's great !!

CC

Thanks, CC. Really enjoying this kit now I've got back into it. I haven't seen much at all in the way of sink marks, needed a little fighting putting the larger pieces together but overall I'm pleased with how it's turning out and the detail is brilliant. 

Thanks for the heads up on the D-9, I'm planning on doing it open so that's good to hear. 

Thanks for the comments. Is your first gen IX on here at all? Would be interested to see how it is coming along. 

Ben 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BP85 said:

Thanks, CC. Really enjoying this kit now I've got back into it. I haven't seen much at all in the way of sink marks, needed a little fighting putting the larger pieces together but overall I'm pleased with how it's turning out and the detail is brilliant. 

Thanks for the heads up on the D-9, I'm planning on doing it open so that's good to hear. 

Thanks for the comments. Is your first gen IX on here at all? Would be interested to see how it is coming along. 

Ben 

Aha !! Loads of !!

here they are !

There are both Eduard, ICM and Airfix Spitdires !!

Hope that you'll find some interesting tips !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

18 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Aha !! Loads of !!

here they are !

There are both Eduard, ICM and Airfix Spitdires !!

Hope that you'll find some interesting tips !

Sincerely.

CC

Ah, I have been following this, read the whole thread at the weekend and very much enjoyed it 

Ben

• Thanks 1

Small update. Got her taped up and laid some Tamiya Flat White down for the invasion stripes over the weekend. Hopefully will at least get the masking done for the black this week 

20190609_153923

Ben 

Right. That wasn't the most fun job in the world, masking up for the stripes took a good hour or two and ultimately didn't prove adequate as will be seen

8YSkIiA.jpg

cdUHKk2.jpg

fD2UjOu.jpg

zW0Bnbu.jpg

5tX2NYF.jpg

In the above not the leaking of the black into the white bands, especially bad around the fuselage. My guess is that the paint has travelled along the panel lines which means I need to me more careful to make sure I get the tape into the panel lines or I'm mixing too thin or laying down too much, or a combination of all three. 

I decided to touch up the white with a brush using some thinned Tamiya white, forgetting how poorly Tamiya paints with a brush. Not ideal but I'm fairly pleased with the results. Next up - another gloss coat 

aNkfDIA.jpg

0jgYwPL.jpg

Ben

• Like 1