72modeler

Wow! Haven't seen many of these before- especially of the merchant ships that carried them and the launch platforms. I bet @Troy Smith has all of these in his library, but I would like to know if the photo of the one with the cover over the radiator inlet had it fitted for protection from sea spray or to warm the engine up quickly for launching? Just curious!

Mike

http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?11405

Probably a bit of both regarding the rad intake cover; the pipe leading into it supplied hot air to prevent the coolant from freezing in the very sub-zero temperatures encountered on the Arctic/Russian convoys.  When a prowling Fw200 was spotted response time was of the essence ant time spent trying to start or warm up a near-frozen engine gave the Condor crews longer to identify and report the convoy’s speed, heading and position to the waiting U-boats.  Even though the Hurricats were a one-shot (throwaway) weapon they had to work first time every time.  

Wonderful photos there: I wonder what happened to the two young men in front of their mount in photo 13.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Wow! Haven't seen many of these before- especially of the merchant ships that carried them and the launch platforms. I bet @Troy Smith has all of these in his library, but I would like to know if the photo of the one with the cover over the radiator inlet had it fitted for protection from sea spray or to warm the engine up quickly for launching? Just curious!

Mike

http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?11405

Can't see any photos in the linked thread, or others on the site you've linked to recently Mike - text, banners, avatars etc, but no pictures?

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

Probably a bit of both regarding the rad intake cover; the pipe leading into it supplied hot air to prevent the coolant from freezing in the very sub-zero temperatures encountered on the Arctic/Russian convoys.  When a prowling Fw200 was spotted response time was of the essence ant time spent trying to start or warm up a near-frozen engine gave the Condor crews longer to identify and report the convoy’s speed, heading and position to the waiting U-boats.  Even though the Hurricats were a one-shot (throwaway) weapon they had to work first time every time.  

Wonderful photos there: I wonder what happened to the two young men in front of their mount in photo 13.

Main purpose to keep the oil and oil cooler warm enough to allow the engine to turn over when the starter is engaged. The coolant was ethelyn glycol, basically anti-freeze, so even in the arctic the cooling system wouldn't freeze. With the oil cooler part of the radiator on the hurricane, warming the coolant will help starting, but the reason for heating is to stop the oil plugging in the cooler.

Not all lauches resulted in loss of the hurricane, some were able to divert to land ashore after dealing with the threat.  IIRC, only one pilot was lost after a launch.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Can't see any photos in the linked thread, or others on the site you've linked to recently Mike - text, banners, avatars etc, but no pictures?

Main purpose to keep the oil and oil cooler warm enough to allow the engine to turn over when the starter is engaged. The coolant was ethelyn glycol, basically anti-freeze, so even in the arctic the cooling system wouldn't freeze. With the oil cooler part of the radiator on the hurricane, warming the coolant will help starting, but the reason for heating is to stop the oil plugging in the cooler.

Not all lauches resulted in loss of the hurricane, some were able to divert to land ashore after dealing with the threat.  IIRC, only one pilot was lost after a launch.

Thanks Dave; I stand erected.