1/72 PSC Panzer IV ausf H's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

For my second entry I have the 'slightly more sophisticated' PLASTIC SOLDIER COMPANY Panzer IV's - which can be built as different variants.

IMG-4445.jpg

IMG-4446.jpg

As you can see from the back of the box - you can make F1 / F2 / G / H - there is little in the way of instructions again...

IMG-4447.jpg

IMG-4448.jpg

Again there isn't much in the box - even though you get 3 kits.  The parts are a little more detailed than the ARMOURFAST though...

IMG-4452.jpg

This is 2 full kits - I sent the third to my buddy @lawzer - who hopefully is going to have a play too.

• Like 5

This should make an interesting comparison as I have the 1/100 (15mm) version of this kit for one of my builds. Splashed out on one of their decal sheets too, as there's none included.

Andy 

• Like 1

Another pair of Pz.IVs I'm looking forward to seeing you work your magic on! :popcorn: I meant to ask before - are you going to include any figures in or around your builds?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Another pair of Pz.IVs I'm looking forward to seeing you work your magic on! :popcorn: I meant to ask before - are you going to include any figures in or around your builds?

Kind regards,

Stix

Apart from a couple of 'tank commanders' - which come with the PSC kits - I have bought a set of PSC German troops - who may pop up somewhere - it's early days yet...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Apart from a couple of 'tank commanders' - which come with the PSC kits - I have bought a set of PSC German troops - who may pop up somewhere - it's early days yet...

Sounds like the start of a plan! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 2

Other than the wheels these don't look too bad, and if you fit the skirts that would hide the running gear a bit anyway.

Should be fun builds 🤞

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, badger said:

Other than the wheels these don't look too bad, and if you fit the skirts that would hide the running gear a bit anyway.

Should be fun builds 🤞

Ha Ha - skirts - loving it...

• Haha 1

OK - it's day 2 and time to make a start on the PSC Panzers.  After my first time at the bench in months yesterday I have to say - it was 'fun'.  So with the Armourfast hulls now waiting a priming coat a quick tidy up and we are ready to go again.  The tools are ready...

PSCIV010.jpg

...and the most important tool of all for me...

PSCIV011.jpg

🔎 I'm as blind as a bat 🦇 :lol:

We have 2 sprues...

PSCIV005.jpg

PSCIV006.jpg

...and again - not a lot in the way of instructions...

PSCIV009.jpg

• Like 4

First up are the tracks...

PSCIV012.jpg

PSCIV013.jpg

These have a little more 'finesse' than the Armourfast - there is a suspension and the idler wheel has real spokes and the outside of the drive sprockets are hollow too...

PSCIV015.jpg

The tracks have a few 'pros' & 'cons'  on the plus side they have a bit of sag along the top...

PSCIV014.jpg

...they also have 'some' track detail...

PSCIV018.jpg

...on the downside they have picked the most awful place to join them - right on the front and back curves - where the join will be most noticeable and they are full of ejectors that could have been hidden by the wheels - but seem to have been positioned in between the wheels...

PSCIV019.jpg

...more mud I guess :whistle:

• Like 2

On testing - those ejectors aren't 'too obvious' on the bottom half of the tracks - which is the bit you see more....

PSCIV020.jpg

PSCIV021.jpg

...but they do look a bit of a beggar on the top half...

PSCIV022.jpg

Anyway - these are still only 'reserve' tanks - so I won't stress too much - so out with the poly...

PSCIV023.jpg

I've gone of the revell 'precision poly' as my slap dash technique works better when I simply splosh away with a brush.

I've had a bit of a 'chip' at the ejectors - now I'm simply going to ignore them :whistle:

PSCIV024.jpg

PSCIV025.jpg

PSCIV026.jpg

Then on with the sprockets and idlers...

PSCIV030.jpg

...no detail at the back again...

PSCIV029.jpg

The joins don't look 'too bad'...

PSCIV027.jpg

PSCIV028.jpg

I'll give them a bit of a 'fettle' when they have hardened up.

Stage one complete.

• Like 5

Time for stage two - the turret...

PSCIV031.jpg

Here are the 'bits'...

PSCIV032.jpg

Strangely the muzzle isn't hollowed out on the sides - and the holes a square....

PSCIV033.jpg

no matter - I've sanded the tiny seam on the barrel - so time for a bit of drilling...

PSCIV034.jpg

PSCIV035.jpg

The cupola drops into the turret - but is so 'snug' that you can't push it in - due to trapped air - so I've drilled a hole in the base - to push the air out that way...

PSCIV036.jpg

You have the option of doing the split hatch open or closed - this one will be closed...

PSCIV037.jpg

sweet...  I have no idea BTW what the indentations on the roof are...

PSCIV038.jpg

• Like 2

The 'picnic basket' is a flush fit again - sorry about that - please don't shoot me for it...

PSCIV039.jpg

There really was no option as it is hollow inside...

PSCIV041.jpg

...but weirdly it does have the 'bracket' detail that Mig alluded to yesterday...

PSCIV040.jpg

again I'm not fretting - for 2 reasons really - the cupola seems to cover the top side and as this is a H - it is having a turret collar around it.  'Collar' - is that the right word???

• Like 4

Looking good! These are somewhat rather more detailed than the armorfast ones.

The indentations are screw holes to mount the main gun if I remember rightly.

By collar do you mean the turret skirts?

Hopefully get back to mine later as my toddler is having a play date at the moment so the house is full of excitable 3 year olds!

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, badger said:

Looking good! These are somewhat rather more detailed than the armorfast ones.

The indentations are screw holes to mount the main gun if I remember rightly.

By collar do you mean the turret skirts?

Hopefully get back to mine later as my toddler is having a play date at the moment so the house is full of excitable 3 year olds!

All the best

Ben

I knew the ones covering the tracks were called skirts - I didn't know what the turret bit was called - but it makes sense - cheers mate.

• Like 1

Next up - I glued the barrel to the mantlet...

PSCIV042.jpg

...then the mantlet to the turret - there is no movement - it is posed in a fixed position...

PSCIV043.jpg

On with the side hatches...

PSCIV044.jpg

PSCIV045.jpg

@Lawzer if your looking in - the hatches are 'left & right' handed. 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, BIG X said:

please don't shoot me for it...

I demand your first made kit as sacrifice to the rivet counting god! :devil: Mainly to appease him for all the horribly inaccurate stuff that I've done...

You're really steaming ahead, only two days in & you've already made four models! At this rate you're going to build more then everyone else combined! I'll probably be lucky if I can finish one kit in the allotted three months :waiting:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mig Eater said:

I demand your first made kit as sacrifice to the rivet counting god! :devil: Mainly to appease him for all the horribly inaccurate stuff that I've done...

You're really steaming ahead, only two days in & you've already made four models! At this rate you're going to build more then everyone else combined! I'll probably be lucky if I can finish one kit in the allotted three months :waiting:

I don't know about 'steaming ahead' - it took me 3 months to complete an 11 part Airfix Pontoon Bridge :lol:

IMG-3406.jpg

My concentration has a tendency to go A.W.O.L. at times and I am prone to rambling.  I'm pressing ahead whilst my brain is focused - it won't last :mental:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yet more excellent progress. And I'm pleased you say you are enjoying the builds! They are all looking very good and you are right, this kit does seem a bit more detailed even if there are some strange locations of ejector marks! :banghead:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Glad you're "back in the saddle" so to speak @BIG X !

which one are you doing? B or C?  I'll then attempt the other one.  Or maybe A......

I'm going for the full blown Ausf H variants - complete with all the skirts - or maybe one with the wheel skirts off.

13 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Well i've managed to drill through the outside of the short barrel for option A (and my thumb) so B or C for me too 😁

Whoops - painful eh - I'm still stinging from dropping my scalpel into my thigh back in the summer - boy that hurt :doh:and bled like a beggar too :lol: