1/72 PSC Panzer IV ausf H's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

The turret skirt is now on...

PSCIV046.jpg

...it's only 2 parts - left and right - a lot less complex than what I have awaiting me in the Revell build.  Itoks kind of scary - almost 'spider like'...

PSCIV047.jpg

again - referring to the Revell kit it appears that this joining point should be smooth - I can't seem to find a good picture of the back of a turret with a skirt fitted.

PSCIV048.jpg

PSCIV049.jpg

I do like the look of it and I've calculated there is enough room between the skirt and the turret for paint to get in there.  I've took the risk and sanded and filled the seam...

PSCIV050.jpg

so that completes stage two and I can see we have made it onto page 2 of the thread.

• Like 3

I got a little side tracked - chopping my first pieces from the sprues for my Revell build - but more on that when I've got these two to the priming stage.

Surprisingly - here is the first bit of 'messing about' I've done on this build - I drilled out the solid front hooks...

PSCIV052.jpg

...and the first bit of flash on both kits...

PSCIV053.jpg

After the recent Vintage Airfix builds I thought I had kissed goodbye to flash - but it made me smile.  The top of the hull has a little more in the way of detail than the Armourfast kits - but they are moulded on & will need picking out later.  The hatches have a bit more detail too...

PSCIV054.jpg

The engine compartment detail and vents are a single piece that simply slots on...

PSCIV055.jpg

...simple enough.  The MG and forward viewing port are moulded on - the MG is a little 'clunky - but it will do...

PSCIV056.jpg

The back is a 'little more' detailed than the Armourfast - but still pretty primitive...

PSCIV057.jpg

• Like 3

I asked about this in the chat section - as the meagre instructions don't actually show where it goes....

PSCIV058.jpg

I'm likely to put it on - as it is some sort of clean air intake filter for the engine - but not just yet - I need to consult my Revell build for a better idea of where it goes.  In the meantime I've added the spare wheel basket.  On this kit they are moulded in...

PSCIV059.jpg

and the final job for this build id connecting the upper and lower hulls...

PSCIV060.jpg

I'll paint and add the track section later - due to the 'track sag' - which means I need to be able to get at the top side of the tracks.

• Like 5

Hi Steve

The air cleaner goes on the opposite side to the spare wheel holder in roughly the same place.

The revell instructions will help with this.

Great progress today mate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been another long day.  I got the spray booth cleaned out and a new card protector sheet in - so here is where I've end up...

PSCIV061.jpg

I've still got a couple of Jerry cans and some spare track to add later - along with the air filter / a couple of spare wheels and a choice of tank commanders.  I'm going to put the track skirts on after painting, but I think we need a shot of things put together though - just to round things off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I asked about this in the chat section - as the meagre instructions don't actually show where it goes....

PSCIV058.jpg

I'm likely to put it on - as it is some sort of clean air intake filter for the engine - but not just yet - I need to consult my Revell build for a better idea of where it goes.  In the meantime I've added the spare wheel basket.  On this kit they are moulded in...

PSCIV059.jpg

and the final job for this build id connecting the upper and lower hulls...

PSCIV060.jpg

I'll paint and add the track section later - due to the 'track sag' - which means I need to be able to get at the top side of the tracks.

I'm glad you asked the question re the top photo - i wasn't sure where that went....

i knobbled together the hull today and the gaps either side (bottom photo) - i know NOTHING about tanks but i'm guessing the gap shouldn't be there?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BIG X said:

🔎 I'm as blind as a bat 🦇 :lol:

And just as batty too. :fool: Good to see the pontoon bridge again Steve, and I am looking forward to more ramblings of the 'Happy Wanderer'.

The kits look like they could take a little work, but I think that a tank novice like me would be able to produce something passable from a very long distance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I'm glad you asked the question re the top photo - i wasn't sure where that went....

i knobbled together the hull today and the gaps either side (bottom photo) - i know NOTHING about tanks but i'm guessing the gap shouldn't be there?  

Do you know I was thinking the same thing - but all 3 kits have it.  You can't see it now on the Armourfast as the tracks have no sag - but I've just been paying with the Revell and it has it too - WEIRD.  I've filled it with PPP on the PSC - but it is funny it's on them all.

Anyway - here is 'round off' photo for now...

IMG-4583.jpg

...the tracks and track skirtss are just blu-tak'd on for now.  just noticed the track fronts still need a filing :doh:

Thanks for looking in and HEY @Lawzer - WHERE IS YOUR THREAD ;)

• Like 8

Impressed, you've cracked on with this today, well built, as for the mystery part my old granny had something called a mangle. Looks similar,  you put washing through and it squeezed out the water! 😛Maybe? (well it don't go on the tank does it. ) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

It shouldn't at all - think its a moulding shortcut or limitation.

All the best 

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, badger said:

It shouldn't at all - think its a moulding shortcut or limitation.

All the best 

Ben

@badger @Lawzer - it is very strange - I've just bodged together the Revell and got this...

IMG-4589.jpg

GAP CITY and not together but - you get the picture - Armourfast...

IMG-4591.jpg

...any ideas Ben???  Do we just get the filler out - that's what I've done on the PSC's...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

And just as batty too. :fool: Good to see the pontoon bridge again Steve, and I am looking forward to more ramblings of the 'Happy Wanderer'.

The kits look like they could take a little work, but I think that a tank novice like me would be able to produce something passable from a very long distance.

Hey John - Good to hear from you - are you having bash at a Panzer??? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BIG X said:

@badger @Lawzer - it is very strange - I've just bodged together the Revell and got this...

IMG-4589.jpg

GAP CITY and not together but - you get the picture - Armourfast...

IMG-4591.jpg

...any ideas Ben???  Do we just get the filler out - that's what I've done on the PSC's...

I haven't bothered on my build as it'll be hidden behind the skirts and the tracks will cover it on the outside. If it is an issue the usual approach is a piece of plastic card cut to shape to fill it.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, badger said:

I haven't bothered on my build as it'll be hidden behind the skirts and the tracks will cover it on the outside. If it is an issue the usual approach is a piece of plastic card cut to shape to fill it.

All the best

Ben

Hi Ben - thanks for coming back.

I can't say it bothers me - I just thought I was missing something important perhaps.  I've already noticed the gap on the Armourfast is completely hidden by the tracks - so no big issue.

• Like 1

Now here is an interesting comparison - here are the rear sections on the first 2 builds - ARMOURFAST ON THE LEFT / PSC ON THE RIGHT...

IMG-4592.jpg

....and the winner is...

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hi Ben - thanks for coming back.

I can't say it bothers me - I just thought I was missing something important perhaps.  I've already noticed the gap on the Armourfast is completely hidden by the tracks - so no big issue.

No worries - sorry it took a while but was busy trying to not superglue my fingers to my tank!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hey John - Good to hear from you - are you having bash at a Panzer??? 

I am tempted to have a go Steve, but I don't think that I would have time at the moment. I am trying to finish the projects that have been left abandoned for a quite a while, along with a couple of Grumman builds before starting anything else.

I will see how things are going in the New Year with a view to joining all of you then, but whatever happens I have a kit ready to go for next years Tiger GB. If I do join in, then I hope that I don't fall foul of the Panzer Police :bobby: telling me I have a -2 drive sprocket when clearly it should be a -3 version for that model, :wicked:, because I won't have a clue. :lol:

Anyway, I will enjoy watching your builds come together for now.

• Haha 1