1/72 PSC Panzer IV ausf H's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

15 hours ago, badger said:

I haven't bothered on my build as it'll be hidden behind the skirts and the tracks will cover it on the outside. If it is an issue the usual approach is a piece of plastic card cut to shape to fill it.

All the best

Ben

The Academy kit has the same gaps I wonder if it may have something to do with mold limitations.... 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, the South African said:

The Academy kit has the same gaps I wonder if it may have something to do with mold limitations.... 

Regards:

Shaun 

That was my thought as I've seen it on a lot of kits over the years. I've used sheet plastic card to fill them on other builds where they are more noticeable.

• Thanks 1

• BIG X changed the title to BIG X's 1/72 PSC Panzer IV ausf H - another pair...

Hi Steve,

I'm not a BIG fan of LITTLE scales, but I have to say you've got a nice pair there!

(Sid James cackles)

I will now take you back to 1982, when CDs first hit the shelves. Back then, CDs were expensive, and affordable only to the rich. This was a happy coincidence because CDs were thought to be the best format for classical music, which all rich people love, and way to good for 'pop', which was loved by the poor. The first CDs then, were of classical music and the top selling CD of 1982 was Wagner's Greatest Hits.

It was assumed by a leading model manufacturer, that all Wagner fans had 1/16th PzIV models on their shelves, and it was assumed that all such people would love to convert said models into CD players, on which they could play 'Flight of the Valkyries'. Your mysterious slots then were the gaps into which the CDs would be inserted. Stupidly, the manufacturers of kits SMALLER than 1/16th copied the blueprints of the 'market leader' and introduced the scaled down slots into their own kits.

HTH.

Rearguards

Badder

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Steve,

I'm not a BIG fan of LITTLE scales, but I have to say you've got a nice pair there!

(Sid James cackles)

I will now take you back to 1982, when CDs first hit the shelves. Back then, CDs were expensive, and affordable only to the rich. This was a happy coincidence because CDs were thought to be the best format for classical music, which all rich people love, and way to good for 'pop', which was loved by the poor. The first CDs then, were of classical music and the top selling CD of 1982 was Wagner's Greatest Hits.

It was assumed by a leading model manufacturer, that all Wagner fans had 1/16th PzIV models on their shelves, and it was assumed that all such people would love to convert said models into CD players, on which they could play 'Flight of the Valkyries'. Your mysterious slots then were the gaps into which the CDs would be inserted. Stupidly, the manufacturers of kits SMALLER than 1/16th copied the blueprints of the 'market leader' and introduced the scaled down slots into their own kits.

HTH.

Rearguards

Badder

Well i guess the 1/72 will take micro sd cards these days? 😁

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Big X. Just checking if there has there been any more progress on this project?

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix - I think I burnt myself out last weekend - 'shooting my bolt' too early as they say.  I'm going to 'knock up' a Spitfire today - just for a bit of fun - but I should be back on the Panzers in the next few days.  I need to 'chill out' a bit - work has been a nightmare recently and this is the first bit of 'holiday' I have had since August.  So I need to get into the 'Christmas Spirit' with a bit of fun and games.

Merry Christmas to one & all in this fantastic STGB - Steve

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hi Stix - I think I burnt myself out last weekend - 'shooting my bolt' too early as they say.  I'm going to 'knock up' a Spitfire today - just for a bit of fun - but I should be back on the Panzers in the next few days.  I need to 'chill out' a bit - work has been a nightmare recently and this is the first bit of 'holiday' I have had since August.  So I need to get into the 'Christmas Spirit' with a bit of fun and games.

Merry Christmas to one & all in this fantastic STGB - Steve

Hi Steve. Hope you manage to get chilled and I hope you have a Very Merry Christmas too.

Kind regards,

Stix

Time for a small update on this one...

I burnt myself a bit before Christmas - but after the time away from work over the last week or so I feel a little more refreshed - so I've been doing a few 'bits.  These 2 PSC Panzers are ready for paint - so I've masked the back of the tracks and under the mud guards - where the tracks will fix on later...

PSCIV064.jpg

...then it was on with the primer...

PSCIV066.jpg

meanwhile I've been playing with the Armourfast monstrosities - which I think will end up as 'mules' - so I can have a dummy run on the camo patterns.

More soon - I promise - Steve

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, badger said:

Nice to see you back at these.

Happy new year!!

...and a Very Happy New Year to the Badger clan :party:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Happy new year to all!

@BIG X can you post a pic of the topside of the hull?

just so I know where the bits go (and indeed which side....😁)....

Yep I'll get something sorted out mate ;)

OK @Lawzer here we go...

PSCIV067.jpg

PSCIV068.jpg

PSCIV069.jpg

PSCIV070.jpg

PSCIV071.jpg

PSCIV072.jpg

The only big of horsing around I've done is drilling through the solid 'hooking points' on the very front of the lower hull - other than that it's just OOB.

Hope that helps mate - Steve

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers @BIG X !

I've finally decided to pull my finger out on this GB....

Last 2 parts now fitted to the hull thanks to above - let the "I cannot see to paint that small" mayhem commence!!!!

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've finally stopped shaking that Dunkelgelb - I've just given these a coat - I'll do a proper update later...

PSCIV066.jpg

Thanks to @Lawzer & @badger for giving me the gentle nudge I sorely need...

Catch yer later - Steve

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Good to see the big x production line back in full swing Steve! 👍

It's the first time I've had the airbrush loaded since September I think.   My mini bronze air force has been all rattle can action.  I think I need to clean the brushes in the ultra-sonic cleaner - I just hope SWMBO doesn't catch me - it is rather 'quiet' ;)

• Like 2

Morning All - I've decided to give the Huddersfield / Halifax Model Show a miss today - so time for a small update.  Lidl had an offer the other week on ultrasonic cleaners & as I haven't used my airbrushes for about 4 months I decided a good clean might not go a miss.  Having read the instructions / watched a couple of videos on youtube and following some sound advice on here I filled a small plastic tub with some airbrush cleaning solution and filled the cleaner to the same level with water...

PSCIV077.jpg

...I popped in various components from both my brushes and this is what the cleaner looked like at the end...

PSCIV078.jpg

I always clean my bushes when I finish - so I was very impressed how much 'muck' the cleaner dislodged - £20 well spent :D

• Like 1

So - with lovely clean airbrushes I needed to get them messed up again - so on with the Dunkelgelb - wheels first...

PSCIV074.jpg

I sprayed the whole things - front and back.  Now I need to paint the wheel and roller rims - 'tyre black' I guess then the tracks and rims of the sprockets and idler wheels - 'burnt metal' I think.  Finally I need to add gloss varnish and some Flory washes - that should keep me busy...